Confirmed with Link: Colliton fired

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You can be professional all you want, not being in the right mental state of mind affects your game. A coach can easily affect your mental well being, and if its constantly negative, its not good for you. Teams change coaches and start performing well just because it's a new, fresh start, without system changes, probably because their mind is more at ease. Effort has nothing to do about what I am talking about.
Yep, it's called human nature and at this level a happy player/team will usually outperform an uptight, unhappy group.
I doubt that euphoria lasts, however. Hopefully, the addition of Kalynuk and/or Caleb along with other line-up tweaks (e.g a Reichel promotion) and a consistent MAF/Lanks will make a difference going forward.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It affects your work when you don’t like, trust your boss.
Or when you think the guy is unqualified.
I get what Pez wrote earlier but what if “the room” all feels the same?

JC lost me for the final time when he handed the marker board to the players.
How many of them thought “this guy has no f***ing clue?”
He should have been drawing out the play they worked on under his tutelage for an hour last week.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It affects your work when you don’t like, trust your boss.
Or when you think the guy is unqualified.
I get what Pez wrote earlier but what if “the room” all feels the same?

JC lost me for the final time when he handed the marker board to the players.
How many of them thought “this guy has no f***ing clue?”
He should have been drawing out the play they worked on under his tutelage for an hour last week.
I look at it like this: If you have a good boss you'll go to bat for them and work harder for them because they know they got your back.
If you have a bad boss you won't: You'll usually work *just* hard enough not to get fired or demoted. You'll follow your minimum expectations and that's it.

Adding onto this if enough employees think the boss is bad and they collectively work just hard enough not to get fired or demoted, it's going to reflect very badly on the boss--especially if the job relies on teamwork and the individuals act less like a team and more like separate individuals. Pride in the work takes a back seat to getting the bad boss ousted, and if that doesn't look like it'll happen the good employees will move to greener pastures.

I get the feeling this might have happened in the 'hawks locker room. I wasn't there so I'm just spitballing.

As for whether or not King is the answer? We shall see. So far we won 3 of the 3 games with King and the team looked less like 19 individuals and more like a team. I think we'll see what King actually is near the TDL. I'm not going to anoint him the next big thing because everything might just be due to the coaching change.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Playing professional sports isn't anything like a normal job, so I always find it strange when people draw comparisons to "work". Coaching isn't anything like being a normal boss, either.
They aren't, no. But, they are similar in the fact that your coach(boss) can make your job/life miserable.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t think it can be understated how much Crawford is helping King wade through this mess. Having a veteran presence who has had plenty of success is going to help the learning curve.

I imagine Derek is asking Crow as much as he can and developing a system together, instead of Colliton being stubborn and Crawford trying to adapt to that disaster system.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This would have been a funny thread title if instead of "Colliton Fired" there was a typo and it said "Colliton Fried"

Similarly to the legendary "Brain" Cambpell thread that devolved into zombie jokes.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
So, a handful of coaches in the entire league?
There's fewer hard-ass coaches than their used to be. And their methods are less and less effective on todays' player. But there are still some of those guys working. And there are still GMs out there willing to hire that type of coach.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There's fewer hard-ass coaches than their used to be. And their methods are less and less effective on todays' player. But there are still some of those guys working. And there are still GMs out there willing to hire that type of coach.
I think if you were a fly on the wall in most NHL dressing rooms you would change that view.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I think if you were a fly on the wall in most NHL dressing rooms you would change that view.
Doubtful. None of the noted hard assed coaches have had abundant success lately. Torts career was circling the drain even before he "left" his last post. Now he's doing TV, hoping to be the next Cherry. Babcock is pretty much persona non grata in the NHL. Therrien took an assistants job to keep working. Sutter seems to be an outlier right now.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Leafs coach seems like a real tool bag. Says f*** all the time. Just seems like an annoying person to work with everyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad