College presidents and executives proposing 80 school “Super League” will pay players and include collective bargaining

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pay walled, but at least per other sites from a Google search this seems to be mostly an outside suggestion and maybe something entertained by a few of the have not schools.

The Big Ten and SEC will just laugh at any attempt to do this and go about their merry ways printing money and planning future conference poachings, while the Big 12 goes along and picks over raided conferences for leftovers and hoping that the raptors don't notice the vulture (again).

And without them playing ball, this is a DOA suggestion.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The only way a Super League happens is if the Big Ten and SEC decide to make one, and they are definitely not going to see 80 schools as equals.
Or…

…may I remind everyone that the real power lies with the people PAYING the B1G and SEC. The hook in this proposal is the networks paying schools individually instead of collectively. The question then becomes whether you can get the networks on the same page to tell the schools that it’s this or bust.

It’s definitely not even odds that this happens, and setting this up probably only begins after the new B1G and SEC contracts expire the other side of 2030. But a squeezed media environment can cause LOTS of things to happen. Not that anyone can predict how a cord-cut public will address the sports business in 6-7 years, but it’s hard to foresee the industry finding a new standard by then… or at least a lucrative new standard.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Or…

…may I remind everyone that the real power lies with the people PAYING the B1G and SEC. The hook in this proposal is the networks paying schools individually instead of collectively.

Very valid point, but they're well past the point of paying 80 schools when they HAVE been systematically cutting the the middle tier of schools out for decades now.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Very valid point, but they're well past the point of paying 80 schools when they HAVE been systematically cutting the the middle tier of schools out for decades now.
My point is that all but maybe 12 schools will get less than they get now.

Then there’s a wildcard. Is the NCAA savvy enough to help make things so messed up that Congress gives them an anti-trust exemption… and the NCAA takes that and goes straight to taking over the college football playoff. It’s a wildcard because they haven’t shown any savvy for decades. And I don’t even know if this scenario is a fever dream or a nightmare.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For reference, the article name drops the following:

IMG_0640.jpeg

Aka, four outsiders and a chancellor in a conference that is in the crosshairs to be raided.

This is really a going nowhere suggestion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad