College football playoffs expand from 4 to 12 teams starting in 2024

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The NFL had a 12 team format for years. The top 4 teams get a bye
This year would have had UGA, Michigan, TCU and Ohio St. with byes
Alabama playing Washington, Tennessee playing Penn St., Clemson playing USC, and Kansas St playing Utah.
Actually, the top 4 are reserved for conference champs. So Clemson would slot into 4.

And 6 conference champs are guaranteed entry, in order to give the G5 access, so #16 Tulane would be given the 12 seed.

Reactions: Gnashville

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
For years I have said 16 teams. 10 Conference Champs get automatic bids and 6 at-large. Not in a conference? You can get in as an at-large. First 2 rounds at higher seeds since the NCAA is supposedly worried about how well fans will travel for early round games. Semis and Championship in the major bowls on a rotating basis. Non-qualifiers can continue to play the bowl games for the cash grab.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Why do I hear "Entry of the Gladiators"?

So that’s why a b12 supporter has released a YouTube video wanting to blame Oregon State and Washington State if the ACC and b12 are left behind. I see where the battle lines are drawn.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So that’s why a b12 supporter has released a YouTube video wanting to blame Oregon State and Washington State if the ACC and b12 are left behind. I see where the battle lines are drawn.
Good for them, I say.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
With how often title games since the dawn of the Bowl Coalition era in 1992 have matched two Southern teams, I think it would be better if the 12-team CFP is divided along the Mason-Dixon line, with the top 6 teams from outside the South as defined by the US Census Bureau competing for one bid in the title game, and the top 6 teams from the South as defined by the USCB competing for the other.

The highest ranked G5 champion would take the place of what would be the sixth-ranked team in one of the regions if they are ranked low enough in the final CFP rankings. If the G5 team is from the MAC, MW, or is Army, New Mexico State or Temple they would be in the part of the bracket with teams from outside the South. If the G5 team is anyone else they would be with the other teams from the South. If the G5 champion happens to be one of the top 6 from one of the regions, then they would not replace another team.

This format allows teams in conferences who didn't win their conference as well as independent Notre Dame to earn first-round byes, something which would be prohibited under the other format being proposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad