NCAA: College Football 2023 Off-season News and Notes: the Next Great Realignment

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I posted this in the BBall forum thinking it was here but...Colorado is just going back where they belong and IDC about Utah they can bounce around all they want since they outgrew the Go5, but the rest are incredibly $tupid.

The Pac 12 is now Stanford, Cal, Arizona St, Oregon St. and Wazzu lol.

ASU will probably follow Arizona to the Big 12 if offered, which just leaves the other 4 and I'm not sure adding the likes of like Boise St and SDST among others (Nevada? Wyoming? Utah St?) will really save that conference.

EDIT: And as soon as I posted this I see ASU got the offer (as well as Utah but that was already rumored)

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I posted this in the BBall forum thinking it was here but...Colorado is just going back we're they belong and IDC about Utah they can bounce around all they want since they outgrew the Go5, but the rest are incredibly $tupid.

The Pac 12 is now Stanford, Cal, Arizona St, Oregon St. and Wazzu lol.

ASU will probably follow Arizona to the Big 12 if offered, which just leaves the other 4 and I'm not sure adding the likes of like Boise St and SDST among others (Nevada? Wyoming? Utah St?) will really save that conference.
ASU has been offered and unanimously accepted.

I think Stanford might go independent for a bit and the rest will join up with the MWC. I would say Cal would consider dropping FB entirely but they owe a fortune on their stadium from recent renovations

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
ASU has been offered and unanimously accepted.

I think Stanford might go independent for a bit and the rest will join up with the MWC. I would say Cal would consider dropping FB entirely but they owe a fortune on their stadium from recent renovations

I agree on Stanford possibly going independent, and the other 3 going to the MWC, but since nothing makes sense anymore I can see someone going to the American as well.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Send the four left to the ACC, why not at this point.

/s

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
While I certainly have enjoyed beating Ohio State the past two years, I really haven't enjoyed college football(maybe even some basketball) as a whole.

I understand this was inevitable and things have changed. But it still just feels lame to me.

I also wonder what exactly happens to Notre Dame if(when) FSU and Clemson walk away from the ACC.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
While I certainly have enjoyed beating Ohio State the past two years, I really haven't enjoyed college football(maybe even some basketball) as a whole.

I understand this was inevitable and things have changed. But it still just feels lame to me.

I also wonder what exactly happens to Notre Dame if(when) FSU and Clemson walk away from the ACC.
I can only really motivate myself as a fan against my team's biggest rivals. Otherwise it's the same shit and getting even more top-heavy.

It's just not that interesting to me anymore.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I can only really motivate myself as a fan against my team's biggest rivals. Otherwise it's the same shit and getting even more top-heavy.

It's just not that interesting to me anymore.
Samesies.

The AP/Coaches poll and BCS were never the greatest systems. But at least some of those other bowl games had some meaning. It's gotten to the point of why even bother outside the championship series...of which I don't have much interest either

The dominance of the SEC has also done more harm than good and helped create the current state of things. I get that Clemson has won it all twice. But we know it's dirty pool down in the south.

I will say that those who scoffed at the Big 10 Network, in hindsight, aren't looking that great right now. That unquestionably helped put this conference in the position they are in today.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Samesies.

The AP/Coaches poll and BCS were never the greatest systems. But at least some of those other bowl games had some meaning. It's gotten to the point of why even bother outside the championship series...of which I don't have much interest either

The dominance of the SEC has also done more harm than good and helped create the current state of things. I get that Clemson has won it all twice. But we know it's dirty pool down in the south.

I will say that those who scoffed at the Big 10 Network, in hindsight, aren't looking that great right now. That unquestionably helped put this conference in the position they are in today.
The Big Ten Network really helped to get Fox through the door. Inserting themselves through the BCS opened it even if that was underwhelming. But Fox as a major player really accelerated this because it’s created heightened competition in the market place.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
The major question for FSU is how do they get out of the ACC TV deal which still has 12 years remaining. Both the Big 10 and SEC TV contracts ends before the ACC one.

Raise enough money and pay through the nose, or sue to try to force a discount.
There’s going to have to be a full re-imagining of the system. I haven’t really gotten into the minutiae of figuring out how the divisions break down. I think you go to 4 divisions and do a conference playoff. Although with the expanded playoff, the conference championship is basically going to be rendered obsolete.
Championship games are big money-makers and will remain.

They'll go to pods or permanent opponents but divisions are going away, That will almost entirely eliminate the risk a fluky 8-4 team making it to a championship game.
So, take Ohio State. You'd want them to play Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, ND, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington each year over the non powerhouse programs at Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, etc.
I doubt any of those schools want that. It would reduce their chances of making the playoff, and the other schools want their share of those games. They can schedule for balance and still have enough prime matchups.
We see the trend with the Big Ten, Big 12, and even American. SEC will want a piece at some point.
SEC got two good brands in Texas and Oklahoma but that really didn't increase the geographical footprint. Other than maybe North Carolina and Virginia, the SEC has no place to go. From the standpoint of revenue growth potential, the Big Ten boxed them in. The SEC may be forced to take FSU, Miami and Clemson just to keep them from going to the Big Ten.
all this f***ing college expansion killing the pac 12
The lack of expansion is what killed the PAC 12.

What is there to merge? The MWC has a media deal. The PAC will have nothing a year from now.

“Everybody went to bed last night thinking this thing was done” = most naïve statement ever. The five schools who left were just going through the procedural process before leaving.
As long as NBC pays enough, Notre Dame can stay independent in football and keep other sports in the ACC, or go back to the Big East if the ACC ever dissolves.

Reactions: Ben Grimm and DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Raise enough money and pay through the nose, or sue to try to force a discount.

Championship games are big money-makers and will remain.

They'll go to pods or permanent opponents but divisions are going away, That will almost entirely eliminate the risk a fluky 8-4 team making it to a championship game.

I doubt any of those schools want that. It would reduce their chances of making the playoff, and the other schools want their share of those games. They can schedule for balance and still have enough prime matchups.

SEC got two good brands in Texas and Oklahoma but that really didn't increase the geographical footprint. Other than maybe North Carolina and Virginia, the SEC has no place to go. From the standpoint of revenue growth potential, the Big Ten boxed them in. The SEC may be forced to take FSU, Miami and Clemson just to keep them from going to the Big Ten.

The lack of expansion is what killed the PAC 12.

What is there to merge? The MWC has a media deal. The PAC will have nothing a year from now.

“Everybody went to bed last night thinking this thing was done” = most naïve statement ever. The five schools who left were just going through the procedural process before leaving.

As long as NBC pays enough, Notre Dame can stay independent in football and keep other sports in the ACC, or go back to the Big East if the ACC ever dissolves.
I don’t know if the SEC ever feels they need to, because they never have. It may not be a good way to think in 2023, but they have always had a foot in front of everyone else when it comes to changing economics. Everything we’ve seen today basically started because they got Arkansas to jump from the Southwest. 30 years later 2 major conferences are dead because others are compelled to match up to them, even if it means spreading out from their regionality. The SEC has both. They are a strictly regional conference, with national brand recognition.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t know if the SEC ever feels they need to, because they never have. It may not be a good way to think in 2023, but they have always had a foot in front of everyone else when it comes to changing economics. Everything we’ve seen today basically started because they got Arkansas to jump from the Southwest. 30 years later 2 major conferences are dead because others are compelled to match up to them, even if it means spreading out from their regionality. The SEC has both. They are a strictly regional conference, with national brand recognition.
SEC puts football first and they win. Get players from the states that produce a lot of players in FLA, Georgia, etc. More they win, the more they are on TV to a national audience. Adding Texas A&M and Texas then allows them a greater foothold into Texas for all schools to recruit.

Football, they can handle an extra 2 hours of travel time. But, sucks for the other sports for travel purposes since most are not once per week for their games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doesn't hurt that since the BCS era started in 1998 ESPN was basically promoting all SEC all the time, with a brief interlude where they promoted the hell out of USC under Pete Carroll as the greatest thing ever. The champions before the BCS era were a hell of a lot more varied but it became something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The SEC became the best of the best because those schools were being promoted as the best of the best for a generation, so the best athletes ended up wanting to play for those schools rather than in other contender programs in other conferences.

The list of national champions before and under the first few seasons of the BCS era were from all over the place:
BCS era:
98: SEC
99: ACC
2000: Big 12
2001: Big East
2002: Big 10
2003: split title (SEC/Pac 10)
2004: vacated (Pac 10)
2005: Big 12

2006 is when the self-fulfilling prophecy came to a head and it's been SEC domination since.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Doesn't hurt that since the BCS era started in 1998 ESPN was basically promoting all SEC all the time, with a brief interlude where they promoted the hell out of USC under Pete Carroll as the greatest thing ever. The champions before the BCS era were a hell of a lot more varied but it became something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The SEC became the best of the best because those schools were being promoted as the best of the best for a generation, so the best athletes ended up wanting to play for those schools rather than in other contender programs in other conferences.

The list of national champions before and under the first few seasons of the BCS era were from all over the place:
BCS era:
98: SEC
99: ACC
2000: Big 12
2001: Big East
2002: Big 10
2003: split title (SEC/Pac 10)
2004: vacated (Pac 10)
2005: Big 12

2006 is when the self-fulfilling prophecy came to a head and it's been SEC domination since.
I’ve always said Colt McCoys shoulder ruined college football as we know it!

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
USC commit has already flipped to Oregon.

Lincoln is kinda doing the same, but I'm stunned they aren't doing as well I thought they would. Mater Dei/Bosco usually feeds kids to USC.

Texas may land 4 of the best dudes on Mater Dei

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lincoln is kinda doing the same, but I'm stunned they aren't doing as well I thought they would. Mater Dei/Bosco usually feeds kids to USC.

Texas may land 4 of the best dudes on Mater Dei
USC only wanted UCLA to come with them for obvious reasons. Oregon (and Washington, but they are a little brother here) being able to stay in a conference with them and make those trips is huge.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
With Ohio now having two P5 schools (UC and OSU), the state should pass a law requiring them to meet in every sport both schools sponsor. This could potentially end the Bearcats' rivalry with the Miami RedHawks (that they have dominated as of late) unless the P5 decide to roll back to seven conference games, which would be done to increase the amount of major OOC games (as a means of increasing playoff chances) as well as protect select rivalries that would otherwise be lost to realignment.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Passing a law would never work, but it is what would need to happen to get Ohio State to put Cincinnati on the schedule.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Pac 12 wasn’t even going to get a deal appreciably higher than what the Mountain West already had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad