Colin Wilson suffers from OCD

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Wilson man jeez.. how the hell can you put up with that on a daily basis AND play in the NHL, must have been super tough. Glad he found his way to recovery and hope others can find that help.

Makes me wonder what people that have serious OCD think when others say things like "lol i have such ocd sometimes i need my coffee perfect!"

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Really an incredible read about what he’s dealt with both recently with this physical injuries but more importantly everything that’s happened to get his mental health sorted. I respect his great advocacy for taking care of his mental health and for some of the less traditional treatments that have the chance to help a lot of people if they would become more accessible or better advocated for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Having some OCD tendencies myself, I empathize with him. Controlling the ticks can be exhausting, and I'm sure the lifestyle in the NHL only makes it worse. Glad he is finding help and is on a better path.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
Incredible. It takes a lot of courage to expose yourself like this to the world. I respect him so much. Glad he’s working on himself and hopefully he continues to feel more at peace. Going to miss having him on the team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Oh damn, now I know why the guy couldn't play. And we thought he was just always injured. All the best to Wilson!

Reactions: MarkT

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Oh damn, now I know why the guy couldn't play. And we thought he was just always injured. All the best to Wilson!
He did mention he can't play because of the double hip surgery required due to his wonky groin.

Reactions: the_fan

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Wow. Very emotional read. Tons of respect for him for sharing that.

Once he finishes his schooling, it would be neat to see him take a job with the Avs or Preds organization. Or even with the NHLPA.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He did mention he can't play because of the double hip surgery required due to his wonky groin.

Double DOUBLE hip surgery, apparently he had to do it again and that’s the reason why he wasn’t ready to play in the bubble. To read him say he’s likely done is sad but I’m glad he appears to have an exciting new chapter planned.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Having some OCD tendencies myself, I empathize with him. Controlling the ticks can be exhausting, and I'm sure the lifestyle in the NHL only makes it worse. Glad he is finding help and is on a better path.
I would say that everyone has a varying degree of OCD and in all different facets of life.

E: It also makes perfect sense why Avs were so hush about his injury as well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Great read. I feel major empathy for him and it’s 100% relatable as I suffer myself but did not even realize until I had a little bit of a breakdown when covid began and I lost control of the many aspects of my life that I actually had complete control of but lost when the world went to shit.

Wish him all the best.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wow. And we finally know what was keeping him off the ice too. And it also explains the shroud of secrecy the Avs threw over him as he recovers. Changes the narrative from "KGB Avs" to "Avs respect privacy during difficult time". I'm really glad the Avs are classy like that.

Two consecutive double hip surgeries will likely end his playing career. Hopefully he finishes that psych degree and goes and follows his new passion. It would be really great if he went and worked for the NHLPA as a counselor for the next generation of players with mental health issues.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Moved to Colorado, immediately gets referred to a plant-based physiologist... the jokes right themselves. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, amazing on Wilson for opening up and finding the courage to have his story put out there. I always find the people that have been in the trenches are the ones that are the most passionate and knowledgeable about their field, I have no doubt Wilson will be a great sports psychologist if he decides to go that route.

I'm also loving the fact that mental health and therapy is finally losing it's social stigma and The Players Tribune giving these players a platform to share their story. They are by far my favorite sports media/journalism company.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Makes me wonder what people that have serious OCD think when others say things like "lol i have such ocd sometimes i need my coffee perfect!"

This is an absolute pet hate of mine. My ex had severe OCD, it tore us apart eventually as a couple but the pain and frustration she and I both went through, to hear people say they like their desk neat because they have OCD is quite upsetting to me. It seems to be fashionable to say you have OCD, but it is a truly terrible affliction to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad