Colin Wilson -- has he arrived?

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Obviously it's early in the season, and we've seen Wilson go through stretches in the past where he puts up points, then goes into a dry spell or gets in Trotzy's doghouse. But this season he seems to have put up pretty consistent effort and he's been promoted to what is arguably our top line (at least offensively - and regardless of actual ice time).

I see a lot of effort out of him...not just creativity (we've seen some of that before), but puck possession (not turning it over going 1-on-2) and more importantly for the Preds fore and back checking. He hasn't really developed as a center...but is he becoming the playmaking offensive player we hoped he'd be when he was drafted?

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I wanted to vote yes, but picked "not sold yet". Let's see him be a dominant for for more than a couple of weeks. I do think he is turning into the 1st liner we've all hoped he'd become though. He will be a center by next year most likely.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I think it's really clicking for him. Obviously I don't expect this level consistently all year, but even his hot streaks in previous seasons didn't look nearly as good as he does now. Definite break out year. He looks very different to me.

Fo Shea Shea

Nov 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
A hot streak doesn't mean he's arrived. Consistency is the key. His effort to create plays has been outstanding. Get back with me after 10 more games.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
He's certainly had a few great games this year, no doubt.
But I voted too early to tell since it's still somewhat early in the season.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
He's been great for all of the 10 games, even those early losses, though most of the points haven't come until the last two. Really excited about him right now. It really is too soon, but I voted yes just because!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
He's played hard for the first ten games and generated plenty of chances. If he continues, then this is finally the season when we can say he arrived but he's had good runs of a few games in the past only to lose the "detail" Trotz preaches. So far, so good but too early to proclaim anything.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Wilson is white hot out of the gate. His offensive pace is second on the team only to Erat's, mainly because Erat missed a game. He's pushing a 60-point pace over the course of a full season, which is a big step forward for him.

Wilson tailed off at the end of last year, but if he can get put in a good 40 games at the least, I'll buy in.

(Also, a suggestion that all future polls use "Lambert's Hair" as the "neutral/indifferent/unsure" option, in keeping with tradition dating back to Scottie Upshall.)

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
consistent over the course of a full season is the only way to judge. He was great for 30-40 games last year. Hopefully he puts a solid 48 together and can contribute in the playoffs. I think he can establish himself as a true top six F in the league this year. Do it again next and we can talk top 3 F.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
I've been a big Wilson fan for awhile and was against Trotz on most of what he was doing but I see the process now. It's all about maturity and learning that the coach no matter what he does has the final say. The more mature you become like a kid who tries to test all kinds of authority you learn the system and what to do and what to say and when to do it. You can see that in Wilson now he knows that when Trotz brought him in to play that playoff game against Phoenix in the close out game where he scored the only goal we scored as the Yotes eliminated us in 5 games. That I think that was the turning point in their relationship and the maturation not only of attitude but learning to play the game the right way. Wilson for the first time has accepted that he has the role of a power forward and not the center he was drafted to be. That play against the Stl showed what a power forward should be able to do. Last night he has learn to move without the puck and be in right place and the puck will find you. Now you can see that the next step is taking on a leadership role not only in year played and experience but in performance. Yes it is early but I think Wilson is offensive key to this team. While I think we are a top notch center away from an elite team I think for us to be one player away we have to bring everybody to forefront. Legwand and Fisher and SK are you listening.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Wilson is white hot out of the gate. His offensive pace is second on the team only to Erat's, mainly because Erat missed a game. He's pushing a 60-point pace over the course of a full season, which is a big step forward for him.

Wilson tailed off at the end of last year, but if he can get put in a good 40 games at the least, I'll buy in.

(Also, a suggestion that all future polls use "Lambert's Hair" as the "neutral/indifferent/unsure" option, in keeping with tradition dating back to Scottie Upshall.)

Dat flow

610x.jpg

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
According to some posters on the main boards Trotz will ruin Wilson based on Wilson being benched last season. He was called "consistent" as well :biglaugh:

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
If this had been a full 82 game season and he was playing like this the whole time I might seriously vote yes. But since it's only 10 games into the season after 9 months off, it's still to early to tell.

But I love the way he's playing and can't wait to vote Hell Yes he's arrived!

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Nah, Weber's playoff or lockout beard would eat both of them.

Weber's beard puts Chuck Norris in a mental sleeper hold.

I think it was only a matter of time before Wilson started seeing some results. I give him alot of credit because he certainly wasn't given the benefit of the doubt from Trotz throughout his development. He's always had small windows of opportunities and he's performed well this year. Good on him. Hope he keeps it up. This kid is just getting started.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Thanks for the responses, guys. The majority choice is generally how I feel. I'd like to see it over the course of a season. But the early results are promising. Even when he isn't scoring, he's having an effect. roseyc had a great point with maturity. Early in his career, Wilson pretty much did his own thing, and got Trotzed because of it. I think he is learning now that playing within the system doesn't stifle his game, but rather enhances it. Good fore and back checking actually creates offensive chances.

This version of Wilson, over the course of a season, is one of our best players...without a doubt. I said last year that if Legwand and Erat can be 50+ point producers, there's absolutely no reason why Wilson cannot.

Noted.

Imagine if we combined Lambert's hair with Masons's beard...

Unfortunately, in the South, this can have negative consequences.
mullet.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad