Colin Greening

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'd temper expectations simply based on the fact that this is a bad sens team giving him a top-6 chance during no-pressure games.

I see greening as maybe a 2nd line winger at some point. If he doesnt show that in a full season, 4th line winger is probably a better prediction.

Manny*

He should be a 40 point winger. A guy that can play on any line, but will most likely find himself on the third. He's a really, really big guy and uses his size well. He's physical, very smart, great defensively, and actually very fast despite his size. He won the fastest skater during this year's Sens skills competition. Offensively, he's good at picking up garbage, and has a knack for being in the right place. He can generate assists off the cycle, and is an average passer. Quick release. Also doesn't mind carrying the puck, although Spezza does most of that on his current line. He's had a handful of fights down in Binghamton, too.

All in all, the guy doesn't pretty much everything well, but won't wow anybody with his skill. He doesn't really have any flaws that I can think of other than the fact that you would like to see him demolish somebody once in a while. Most Sens fans will agree that Mike Fisher was more effective as a winger. I would say Greening resembles that Fisher. Big, strong, fast and a good two-way guy.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He's 24, Foligno's 23....I still think this guys got more tools than Foligno does. Heavier shot, faster, bigger, better vision it seems...He broke Antoine Vermette's fastest skating record earlier this year at the skills comp...at 6'3 215 and absolutely ripped.

Will be a good player wherever he plays. And yes, he's been pretty impressive ever since getting called up but like danishh said temper your expectations around this time. Has definitely looked good though. He was one of the Bingo fans favourites all year and started putting up a point a game after getting his feet wet as a pro.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
He should be a 40 point winger. A guy that can play on any line, but will most likely find himself on the third. He's a really, really big guy and uses his size well. He's physical, very smart, great defensively, and actually very fast despite his size. He won the fastest skater during this year's Sens skills competition. Offensively, he's good at picking up garbage, and has a knack for being in the right place. He can generate assists off the cycle, and is an average passer. Quick release. Also doesn't mind carrying the puck, although Spezza does most of that on his current line. He's had a handful of fights down in Binghamton, too.

All in all, the guy doesn't pretty much everything well, but won't wow anybody with his skill. He doesn't really have any flaws that I can think of other than the fact that you would like to see him demolish somebody once in a while. Most Sens fans will agree that Mike Fisher was more effective as a winger. I would say Greening resembles that Fisher. Big, strong, fast and a good two-way guy.

Don't forget he almost won the hardest shot too at over 100 MPH.

Seems like Fisher with the whole skill package, speed, size, shot, decent vision and puck carrying. We'll see if he has any hands or creativity as well as the one key component Fisher lacked, hockey sense. He seems like a very smart guy off the ice, we'll see how he develops.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
I would also add that he's very intelligent as well. A Cornell grad with a lineage of educated family memebers, Greening is a thinking man who's smarts translate on the ice as well. I believe he picked up an Acedemic All-American award in his last year in the Ivy league. I think Greening will be a great utility player that can be used in all situations and I'm excited to see how he'll progress over the course of a full season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah Greening's GPA was something like 3.99 right?

Also it's good to note that he's like a winger version of Fisher but with hockey sense. He gets into great areas for scoring. I think he's still nervous playing in the NHL and grips his stick too hard sometimes, but honestly this guy is the real deal. I see him as a 2nd line LWer in the future.

For the record right now he'd be on pace for 44 points with 22 goals. Not bad, and on top of that his first three games were with 10 minutes or less of ice time and it was his 'adjustment period.' I don't think it would be far fetched to think he could, maybe, become a 60 point 2nd line winger.

Last edited:

Manny*

I would also add that he's very intelligent as well. A Cornell grad with a lineage of educated family memebers, Greening is a thinking man who's smarts translate on the ice as well. I believe he picked up an Acedemic All-American award in his last year in the Ivy league. I think Greening will be a great utility player that can be used in all situations and I'm excited to see how he'll progress over the course of a full season.

It's funny, but true. I can't think of another player whose intelligence really factors into his on-ice play.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
His game at Cornell relied on speed, and he fit right into Cornell's counter attacking style. I'd say he can become a solid bottom 6 forward, but I really wouldn't expect more. I'm glad he's getting a shot at the big time, I always love to see a Cornell player do well as a professional.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I think he can get the job done wherever you put him in the lineup- he's that versatile, and has a lot of tools. Seems to process the game very well.

And name me a Senator (not named Chris Neil) you couldn't say you'd "like to see him use his body more" about...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
As a sens fan Im really tempering my expectations of him, but right now at least he looks like a solid player. Whether he's a top 6 or bottom 6 has yet to be determined, but I wont be surprised either way.

Like others have mentioned, hes a really smart player. He can play on Spezza's wing, which not many guys can do. It takes a really high hockey IQ to read the game like Spezza does, and Greening has fit in perfectly so far by using his blazing speed and size to open up a bunch of ice.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Don't forget he almost won the hardest shot too at over 100 MPH.

Seems like Fisher with the whole skill package, speed, size, shot, decent vision and puck carrying. We'll see if he has any hands or creativity as well as the one key component Fisher lacked, hockey sense. He seems like a very smart guy off the ice, we'll see how he develops.

I'm probably the farthest possible from Fisher's biggest fan, but if Greening ever becomes near what Fisher is, or was before, I will buy you a Greening jersey, personally deliver it to your door, and leave a sweet note and a box of chocolates on top of it.

And I really like Greening, too. I'm just making this wager because I'm pretty sure he won't reach that level, but he will still be a very good, valuable player. He sure as hell won't bring the physicality that Fisher brought, and he's a step below in offensive tools.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'll be really surprised if greening becomes a top 6 forward. He will how ever make an excellent third liner. I just don't see his offensive skills being that of a top 6 winger.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm probably the farthest possible from Fisher's biggest fan, but if Greening ever becomes near what Fisher is, or was before, I will buy you a Greening jersey, personally deliver it to your door, and leave a sweet note and a box of chocolates on top of it.

And I really like Greening, too. I'm just making this wager because I'm pretty sure he won't reach that level, but he will still be a very good, valuable player. He sure as hell won't bring the physicality that Fisher brought, and he's a step below in offensive tools.

I don't disagree with you that it'll be hard for greening to reach that level but... Offensive tools and fisher doesn't match up? Speed, big body, hockey sense, vision, are all things greening has already shown flashes of better than fish ever did. The shot? Greening seems to surprise goalies more whenever shoots, fisher just left a mark in the middle of their chest.

We really haven't seen a weak game from greening since maybe his first couple games. If he's our 3rd line lw of the future... We look good on left side. Regarding physicality, greening uses his frame all over the ice to win battles similar to a way a non physical player like toews uses his.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I watched quite a bit of him at Cornell. He was the heart and soul of Big Red towards the end of his tenure. He's fast, works the boards well, and is defensively sound. Prototypical bottom 6 energy guy. He can play higher up in a pinch and not look terribly out of place, too.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I don't disagree with you that it'll be hard for greening to reach that level but... Offensive tools and fisher doesn't match up? Speed, big body, hockey sense, vision, are all things greening has already shown flashes of better than fish ever did. The shot? Greening seems to surprise goalies more whenever shoots, fisher just left a mark in the middle of their chest.

We really haven't seen a weak game from greening since maybe his first couple games. If he's our 3rd line lw of the future... We look good on left side. Regarding physicality, greening uses his frame all over the ice to win battles similar to a way a non physical player like toews uses his.

This is just a matter of opinion and I'm not tryna convince you to sway yours or anything, but when I watch Greening I see a guy who doesn't see the offensive zone very well. Actually a more accurate way to put it would be a guy who isn't comfortable offensively. Now I'm sure that comfort will come to some extent, but he seems like a guy who will definitely be able to create chances with his abilities, but often won't do the right thing to finish his effort. I could see him as a 20-20 guy and maybe even more, but what Fisher did on the 3rd line for years was incredible and I only think Greening could eclipse those numbers if he plays top 6. Also, Fisher had an ability to elevate his game to star level for stretches (see: Round 1). I don't think Greening will have quite that ability, although I think he will be a good playoff guy.
Greening will be a very important player, but I don't know if I see him having the impact that Fisher did.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's a good player but he's overrated by our fanbase. He played with Spezza, which made him look a lot better than he is. But there are still a lot of things to like about him.

He's got size - 6'3, 215lbs
He can skate - beat Antoine Vermette's record in the skating competition
He does everything well - isn't afraid to play physical, plays hard in all three zones, brings leadership and heart

But I'm not sure his offense is enough to make him a top 6 forward, much like Fisher. I think he'll be a very similar player. Not enough offensive ability for a top 6 position, but slot him on the 3rd line and you'll have an excellent player. Not sure he'll ever be the defensive beast Fisher was at the top of his game, but is still very alike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad