Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: The Steel CurTEN is Streaking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneColdFlower*

I missed the game, but I couldn't resist correcting the "Secondary" Sid homers on the Craps board.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
In the "completely irrelevant, trivial, and pointless" department...I just noticed that in the scrolling "Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects" banner up above, Eric Tangradi is still listed... :)

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
In the "completely irrelevant, trivial, and pointless" department...I just noticed that in the scrolling "Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects" banner up above, Eric Tangradi is still listed... :)

That's okay, go to the Penguins roster, put the arrow over "Team" then click "In the System", go to the defensemen. Apparently the Penguins still have Lovejoy, Sneep and Strait.

But yeah, this was a good game. That 4 minute PK was awesome and it was amazing when we scored a goal right after.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
^ Speaking of Tangradi, he put a pretty big hit on Adam McQuaid tonight. McQuaid was pretty shaken up from what I saw and left the game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
^ Speaking of Tangradi, he put a pretty big hit on Adam McQuaid tonight. McQuaid was pretty shaken up from what I saw.

He's still getting the Bylsma treatment, though. Only 5:51 of ice time on 7 shifts tonight.

Man, Disco Dan's reach is a long one. You get on his bad side, he makes sure you're benched no matter where you go. :sarcasm:

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Perfect ten! 10 in a row.
+ Flower, he was amazing. Lot of good saves.
+ Sid 0+2.
+ Defense.
+ Orpik.
+ Rookies: Despres & Bennett.
+ Martin.
+ Nisky, beautiful goal.

- Kunitz.
- 4th line.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Before he was injured Niskanen was playing better than Gologoski every did for the Pens. Don't know how Goose is performing with the Stars, but it seems that if Niskanen continues to find his groove, even a straigt-up trade between those two defensemen would've been a win for Shero. With Neal it really is first-class robbery.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Before he was injured Niskanen was playing better than Gologoski every did for the Pens. Don't know how Goose is performing with the Stars, but it seems that if Niskanen continues to find his groove, even a straigt-up trade between those two defensemen would've been a win for Shero. With Neal it really is first-class robbery.

Gogo is much better than Niskanen IMO. Don't forget that Niskanen basically plays a 5th/4th D man here, while Gogo is just about DAL's #2. Gogo just doesn't have the offensive guys in DAL that he had here to gather up all the points.

The trade was very uneven though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like Niskanen better than Goligoski. I admit Goligoski is a better offensive player but I don't think Niskanen is as over-matched in his own zone as Goligoski and he can still contribute offense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was on the Nisky train a loooong time ago. I'm not sure what more you can ask of a guy, and it's not like this hasn't been going on for longer than a season. He had a rough patch after coming back from injury, but I take issue with anyone who wants him traded for a rental.

He came to this team a young, rushed, shattered hockey player. He now has that confidence in all facets of the game.

Shero has to treat this deadline as a huge opportunity to buy himself a Cup. We just beat the Bruins twice without Geno. 10 game winning streak. Strong defensive play.

Time to load up.

I can agree with this.

Anyone giving up on DJ yet? He could be great for that 3rd line but he will never fit any other role here in Pittsburgh. I want to see that guy get a 3rd line chance somewhere and shine. He's just so worthless on the Pens.

I am not giving up on him, but I can completely recognize he doesn't have a place here. That being said, not sure now is the right time to trade him.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Flower has allowed only 2 goals in his past 3 games. Let's hope he can keep that going.

Obviously the defense has been much better as well though.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

I loved the way it was put on Marek vs Wyshynski last week:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have made Matt Niskanen look like Alex Goligoski, and the Dallas Stars have made Alex Goligoski look like Matt Niskanen.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
ibu2HiBT8rXTDu.GIF

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Soooooo many LOLZ on the Caps board. Man alive do they hate us. No respect/credit given to what we've done, save for the occasional poster. One goon who was going on the 'Crosby is king of secondary assists' reasoning was he was reverse trolling our posters who went there. Reading that stuff is a close to reality tv as I wanna get.

As for the game, if we sit Despres again I'm gonna be real POed....but its likely to happen anyways.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Martin needs to keep hitting the gym like he did last off-season. It's done wonders for his game and particularly his shot.

Bennett did a lot of nice things but kind of got bailed out by Crosby and Martin after bobbling that puck like a grenade again. Luckily Sid got the puck and Martin hammered a shot past the goalie.

I agree that Despres is pretty amazing out there.

That PK and the goal right after was such an awesome response. That was a great moment.

Not to be a Bennett apologist, but the pass was well behind him and he had to reach back. It's not like it was a gimme tap-in.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I agree. It's gotten to the point where I forget to rank him as one of our D prospects. I just think of him as one of our roster blue liners. I heard a rumor that Shero had wanted to trade up for him in '09 if he wasn't going to fall to the Pens with the last pick that year. Shero clearly snagged a gem with that pick. Makes you excited for the other PMD he's drafted. Our blue line is going to be incredible in a few years

NOOO we need more wingers, listen to the know it all fans! :laugh:

Projecting points out, the pens need 3 wins and an OTL to make the playoffs.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not to be a Bennett apologist, but the pass was well behind him and he had to reach back. It's not like it was a gimme tap-in.
Fair enough. I remember watching it live and being frustrated that he didn't handle that pass very well. I just re-watched it on the DVR to see what you were saying though and it certainly wasn't a puck he could have one-timed. He had to reach back a bit to stop it, settle it down and then try to shoot it. Not easy to do. My apologies to Beau. :laugh:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Fair enough. I remember watching it live and being frustrated that he didn't handle that pass very well. I just re-watched it on the DVR to see what you were saying though and it certainly wasn't a puck he could have one-timed. He had to reach back a bit to stop it, settle it down and then try to shoot it. Not easy to do. My apologies to Beau. :laugh:

Good play by Crosby to turn that into a goal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Good play by Crosby to turn that into a goal.
Agreed and Martin made a great shot. I can't believe how improved Martin's shot is this year and his whole game too for that matter. Not sure what his issues were the first couple years but it's nice that we're finally getting to see the D-Man people raved about in New Jersey.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The awesome thing is, I think the sample size is large enough to say its not a fluke. He's outmuscling top offensive talents, jumping in the play, shooting the puck hard and on net. And generally looking like a #1 D-man.

I hope we resign Tanger with no issues. But having this version of Martin, a stud in Despres and Letang light in Niskanen, we have some leverage in negotiations IMO.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Bennett was out there with about 1:30 to go in the 3rd before Crosby came on again. Speaks volumes to how far he's come as a two-way player in just his first pro year and how much Bylsma trusts him.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I loved that big hit that Beau gave in the game.

That was a text book example of how to deliver a big body check. This kid is going to be a star for us. You give him a summer of working out with Gary Roberts and look out NHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad