Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: The Steel CurTEN is Streaking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He can't be stupid and berate the official to the extent of getting another minor though. He has to accept that his past is always going to go against him on ticky tack calls.

Props to him for assisting on Nisky's goal right after that. I think I would have skated by Adam Oates and grabbed my junk after that goal.

I think that those happen more in him not getting calls than the other way around. officials just seem to screw up, especially boarding calls. Didn't Kunitz get three in a row for merely checking a guy in one game earlier this year?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I think the unsportsman like penalty on cooke was do to him shooting the puck at the caps player well after whistle, not with arguing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the unsportsman like penalty on cooke was do to him shooting the puck at the caps player well after whistle, not with arguing.

Yeah I was wondering if he would get an extra 2 before they went to break. He touched the puck and shot it towards a Caps player. Then they went to commercial and said he got an extra 2 and showed him yelling at the refs. At that point I assumed it was for mouthing off, but maybe he mouthed off because of the extra 2. Who knows.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's happening, he's getting much more confident with the puck and he's actively trying to get it back (a real sign of confidence). It's already at the point where I want the puck on his stick (among others obviously) when we need something to happen.

Admittedly I hadn't seen Bennett play much at all before the NHL but I am borderline shocked at how complete he is. You hear about a roller hockey guy and think the worst. But dude comes out with the puck after pretty much every battle on the boards and is responsible in all 3 zones.

Pretty damn happy to have Neal, Bennett and likely Kunitz for a few more years in the top 6. I'll leave Dupuis out of this conversation!

Yeah, his roller hockey history definitely had me worried about what was to come. I worried about his wonky skating that I had seen in camps past...he doesn't have that extra gear, but his skating in no way hinders him around the ice.

I worried about his size. I haven't seen him get out muscled one single time down low or in front. If anything, he's been the one doing the muscling.

I worried about his willingness to engage physically. Again, no reason to worry there. When he ran a defenseman into the boards 2 nights ago and put him down on his back, I had a big geeky smile on my face.

I also worried about his defensive game, because from my experience, guys who do the roller to ice switch are typically all offense. Bennett not only cleans up his end defensively, but he also back checks harder than any winger we have. This is the area I've been most impressed with.

I think what I love about the guy the most...he can do those area passes that catch guys with speed. I remember one of his very first games, he gets the puck on the boards, and Geno is coming back out of the zone. Bennett, rather than passing it right to Geno where he has to slow down for a split second to catch the pass, just throws a simple area pass where Geno gets up to full gallop and just has to pick the puck up. I do believe he and Neal scored on that play. It's very simple things like that which make a huge impact.

The hilarious part is that it's almost as if Bennett listened to what the coaching staff said to Tangradi and then did everything by the book on how they wanted it. Bennett isn't putting up huge points. He's doing very small things that make a difference...things Tangradi could have easily done. That's why Beau hasn't taken a seat. He's contributing even when he's not contributing offensively.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Good post JTG.

On Tangradi, I'm not sure he's even an NHL player. He's about as fringe as it gets for Winnipeg as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad