Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Bs - This game was circled since June

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe its the energy he plays with but he doesn't play like them at all. Maybe more like Matt Read from Philly.

I'm not sure if Read is a good comparison. Besides, you can't make comparisons around here or people get all bent out of shape and use conjecture later on if guys disappoint.

Megna is like Megna. He's fast as hell and has skills that will get people off the couch and make their jaws drop at times. That's what people have been clamoring for around here for so long, and that's the type of player he is.

Just like BB, when he is comfortable and starts dancing, people will marvel at his puck skills.

But unlike BB, he isn't polished. People can say they aren't seeing the dumb side of Megna, but both TD and Zen will back me up that he played really dumb at times last season.

I know how people get on here and I don't want to see Megna get called a piece of **** and a loser if he struggles at some point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Oh yeah I expect Megna to make mistakes and a lot of them. I'm not even sure if he should stay in the NHL this season. I am just pleasantly surprised by what he has done so far. He really wasn't on my radar.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
As soon as he does **** up and strings together a few bad games, people are going to come out of the woodwork with their I told you so game and Caputi hype comparison style snark. You can almost set your clock by it.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Does anyone have a gif or video of the last save Fleury made? I keep hearing everyone talk about it, i'd like to see it.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I believe he went from Tabor Academy to the U, but when he actually started playing I'm not sure.

I found an old article on the UNO website that sheds some light on his upbringing. He was actually born in Ft. Lauderdale and his dad was a fringe NFL player.

The family eventually relocated from Florida to Illinois in the '90s. By coincidence, when he was 7, Jayson attended a friend's birthday party at a suburban Chicago ice rink. That first skate was all it took to hook Jayson, who instantly knew hockey would be his sport. Jaycob began playing soon after.

"We didn't have any sort of hockey background, so it was all new to us," Jay Megna said. "The boys, and their sister, too, really got into hockey and skating, and that definitely didn't have anything to do with anything they saw their parents do."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As soon as he does **** up and strings together a few bad games, people are going to come out of the woodwork with their I told you so game and Caputi hype comparison style snark. You can almost set your clock by it.

Zero doubt in my mind people will wallow in their own filth and misery if he disappoints.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
A legit talented young winger playing well and DB likes him? I'd say this is a Pens fan's dream.

Hopefully he builds on last game. Geno could use a big weekend against the Jackets.

Let's wait till he has some actual top 6 options before we declare that DB likes him.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure if Read is a good comparison. Besides, you can't make comparisons around here or people get all bent out of shape and use conjecture later on if guys disappoint.

Megna is like Megna. He's fast as hell and has skills that will get people off the couch and make their jaws drop at times. That's what people have been clamoring for around here for so long, and that's the type of player he is.

Just like BB, when he is comfortable and starts dancing, people will marvel at his puck skills.

But unlike BB, he isn't polished. People can say they aren't seeing the dumb side of Megna, but both TD and Zen will back me up that he played really dumb at times last season.

I know how people get on here and I don't want to see Megna get called a piece of **** and a loser if he struggles at some point.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

What do you mean by dumb though? Like going into TK shooting mode?

The only thing I don't like about his game is that he doesn't seem like a give and go player. He gets off shots and drives to the net but his passing seems a little off.

I actually think that's something Read had on him. Maybe Dupuis is a nice upside for him.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah I get what you're saying.

The only thing I don't like about his game is that he doesn't seem like a give and go player. He gets off shots and drives to the net but his passing seems a little off.

I actually think that's something Read had on him. Maybe Dupuis is a nice upside for him.

What? He's done more than just get his shots off and drive the net.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005

I think he meant that in the past Megna could never string together more than a couple of good games before then looking lost and ineffective for long stretches with bad slumps. He looked in over his head for most of last season in WBS after having a good camp. The question is now whether he'll get better at decision making with experience or whether he simply lacks the hockey sense to consistently play well in the pros. He is a late bloomer who moved up from Junior A (USHL 1st team All-Star) to college (WCHA All-Rookie team) to AHL (meh) to NHL all in only 4 years so IMO he's very hard to judge because he never really settled in at any level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad