Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Blues - Oh well... shit happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought they looked more than a bit slow in the first. They looked like a team that had a serious let down after a big victory on Thurs. playing a team that had been struggling. They didn't look better until it was 4-0, at which time the Blues probably took the foot of the gas a bit. That's like 6-0-1 for the Blues at PPG recently. It's like Dallas (a few years ago) and still Chicago.

Trotman's been awful. Cough drop had some rough games before he was scratched, but that and T's right-handedness shouldn't keep him in the lineup. Maybe 58 will be back tomorrow, but I kind of doubt it.
At the very minimum, we came out looking really good to start the 2nd when it was 2-0. Like 30 seconds before they went 3-0 Binn had to make a huge save on Kessel.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Remember folks - if a user just so happens to only show up when the Pens lose, just utilize the ignore user function. It's a great function on the site. :) We have a lot of great posters. Don't let a small handful spotlight a thread. If you ignore them, the posts don't appear and to be honest the poster eventually goes away. :)

I wish I knew how to do this.

Teach me, master

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I attended as a road fan, first time in Pittsburgh. I met plenty of cool Penguin fans. I really dig your arena, my favorite of the 8 that I’ve been to.

Penguin’s PP went 4 for 4 last game, close to the time Yeo got fired. Today, the Blues’ PK was more up to the challenge. Next game I’d like to see the strategy where they don’t commit that many penalties.

Good luck in the playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I attended as a road fan, first time in Pittsburgh. I met plenty of cool Penguin fans. I really dig your arena, my favorite of the 8 that I’ve been to.

Penguin’s PP went 4 for 4 last game, close to the time Yeo got fired. Today, the Blues’ PK was more up to the challenge. Next game I’d like to see the strategy where they don’t commit that many penalties.

Hope you were treated well. I like when fans come in and are treated well as you are visiting our city and/or going to the game as an opposing fan. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hope you were treated well. I like when fans come in and are treated well as you are visiting our city and/or going to the game as an opposing fan. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

I mean considering our fans didn’t even give the Pens a standing ov after the 2nd period comeback against the Caps, I think we are probably one of the least threatening buildings in the league lol.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Always appreciate an X-Files bro. Hope you had a good time. :laugh:

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Thank you for visiting our barn and I hope you had a lot of fun. Some of the best evenings I ever had out after a hockey game were spent with cool chill road fans.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It wasn't a good game by any means but we've played better than we have any right to considering Letang has been hurt and Dumo missed a few also.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Who watches hockey day games. Let's be real.
Nobody cares about hockey before 7 pm.
I show up for day games like the penguins... not in the slight.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
You're posting like a crazy person. And I say that as a crazy person, diagnosed with a myriad of psychological ailments. :laugh:

Go for a walk. Either this team sucks and is a bunch of losers staring down an embarrassing first round loss, or they're better than you're making them out to be and have a shot to do something in the playoffs--even if they're not the favorites, projected to bulldoze through the East like a juggernaut. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Don't feed the troll.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
It's not necessarily a personnel issue, it's an issue of effort. Letang wouldn't change the outcome if we start a game like we did today.

Dude. We get it. This is seriously like your 19th post in this thread saying the same thing. We get it. Their effort was poor. They're an inconsistent team. We get it. They've squandered points to bottom feeders. We get it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dude. We get it. This is seriously like your 19th post in this thread saying the same thing. We get it. Their effort was poor. They're an inconsistent team. We get it. They've squandered points to bottom feeders. We get it.
At least I'm being consistent, that's more than what I can say about this team. ;)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
considering Trotman was a big part of the Blues starting their scoring, I disagree. I feel like the level of "not showing up" is being way way overblown. We looked a bit slow, we didn't look awful though.
One thing I've observed from being in such threads in this forum is that there is a huge divide in tolerence from some who follow the team. Some fans are willing to just chalk it up to ''that's life'' or some such generic response. If that's the way some people view such things so be it, I'm not inclined to do that however. Not when they've already pissed away far too many winnable games (if they just showed up and played close to their talent level and abilities).

Brian Burke made an excellent point on the NHL network friday and stated that (generally speaking) elite teams play hard 70 or so games a season. Or at least that's what he'd expect considering the grind, travel, injuries etc. While lesser teams may top out around 60 games. By that standard we're lucky to get to 60-65 games by the end of the season. To be clear I don't expect this team to bring their ''A'' game every night. I just believe we should bring a better effort more often than we do. We have no idea what to expect against Philly. And this time of the season IMO anyhow, that shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
By far the biggest problem is second line. Crosby and co can't score every game and they take toughest matchups. third line looks great and are taking tough zone starts. 4th line are doing their job. Malkin's line has butter soft zone starts and gives up goal a game. They are offense only line and are losing their matcups every game. I have been saying for couple months now Kessel isn't top-6 player anymore and shouldn't be on Malkin's line.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Its been a problem all year. I know a lot of teams do it now but I really hate 2 Dmen grouped together in corners or in back of the net.

I don’t mind if 2 d men are in the corner situationally if it’s a good chance of winning the puck. The forwards need to position themselves accordingly though.

I don’t like them both going below the net though. Let teams have it, they can’t score from there and set ourselves up to protect those high danger areas. Worst case scenario it goes to their D man for a low percentage shot.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
---- Dumo. Horrible game. He was responsible for the two huge goals; 1st and 3rd. At the Blues red line on the first. 3rd, he lost an edge. One point he randomly lost his stick. I think he was already drunk or thinking about being drunk. Tonight should be fun.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
By far the biggest problem is second line. Crosby and co can't score every game and they take toughest matchups. third line looks great and are taking tough zone starts. 4th line are doing their job. Malkin's line has butter soft zone starts and gives up goal a game. They are offense only line and are losing their matcups every game. I have been saying for couple months now Kessel isn't top-6 player anymore and shouldn't be on Malkin's line.

It doesn’t seem to matter who plays with Malkin and Kessel, that line remains a big issue and has been that way all season. Rust is basically the last hope there, and if he can’t be the magic fix for those two, no idea who else you use.

Rust also isn’t nearly as good on his off wing, so I have my doubts, but all other solutions have been exhausted at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad