Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Blues - Oh well... shit happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
With the way they played from Oct to Feb, with the number of teams fighting for playoff spots, with current 3-point system - yes.
You're posting like a crazy person. And I say that as a crazy person, diagnosed with a myriad of psychological ailments. :laugh:

Go for a walk. Either this team sucks and is a bunch of losers staring down an embarrassing first round loss, or they're better than you're making them out to be and have a shot to do something in the playoffs--even if they're not the favorites, projected to bulldoze through the East like a juggernaut. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I prefer to look into the standings and see that we are just a couple of points away from missing PO's or facing Tampa in the first round.

Too much was lost in months previous. They can't afford to lose a single point now. And they don't seem to understand it.
Which is why I hate it when someone says “it’s just a meaningless game in November”...

Every year, the fight for the playoffs comes down to the last day of the season for some teams. An OT loss here or a regulation win there could be the difference. No game is meaningless...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nothing is guaranteed. The Pens haven’t secured a playoff spot yet. They should assume that Carolina and Columbus and Montreal are going to win every game and thus, they should be playing to win every game...

But posters routinely suggest that this team “takes nights off” because they aren’t as “desperate” or emotionally invested in the game as the other team. Routinely losing to bottom feeder teams reinforces that suggestion.

I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that this team actually decides when they actually want to play hard and when they dont. If they were in Tampa’s position I could maybe understand it, but they are still scratching and clawing for a playoff spot and just deciding to not show up because they went on a run and moved up in the standings???

They started slow today. And then outplayed them the rest of the way. It happens.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
With the way they played from Oct to Feb, with the number of teams fighting for playoff spots, with current 3-point system - yes.

We're 6 points clear of Montreal, outside the play-offs. To suggest we need to win every game from here on out is ridiculous.

Montreal are on pace to finish with 94 points. 3-6-2 in that scenario would be enough for us but I don't see us doing that badly.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
They started slow today. And then outplayed them the rest of the way. It happens.
Well, we disagree.

I see someone all the time say “Pens dominated!” after a 4-1 loss. The Pens had a bunch of PPs that they failed to score on, Sid and Kessel both had breakaways that they failed to score on. Meanwhile, Vince Dunn was potting them for the Blues...

Just tired of the “other team was desperate” and “hot goalie” excuses. Find a way to win.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nothing is guaranteed. The Pens haven’t secured a playoff spot yet. They should assume that Carolina and Columbus and Montreal are going to win every game and thus, they should be playing to win every game...

But posters routinely suggest that this team “takes nights off” because they aren’t as “desperate” or emotionally invested in the game as the other team. Routinely losing to bottom feeder teams reinforces that suggestion.

I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that this team actually decides when they actually want to play hard and when they dont. If they were in Tampa’s position I could maybe understand it, but they are still scratching and clawing for a playoff spot and just deciding to not show up because they went on a run and moved up in the standings???
I don't think it's intentional, I think it's a lack of focus and attention to detail. But whatever the reasons are it's clear they weren't ready to play today. Frankly I don't care what the reasons are it just needs to stop!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well, we disagree.

I see someone all the time say “Pens dominated!” after a 4-1 loss. The Pens had a bunch of PPs that they failed to score on, Sid and Kessel both had breakaways that they failed to score on. Meanwhile, Vince Dunn was potting them for the Blues...

Just tired of the “other team was desperate” and “hot goalie” excuses. Find a way to win.

It. Happens.

If your expectations are for them to play at a high level for 60 minutes for an entire season, watch a different sport. No one does it. Tampa doesn't and they're on pace for a historic type season.

They're missing their best D-man and one of their best ES scorers. They've done very well in their absences.

If you want to be mad about something, I'd point the finger at our 2nd line and how much money we're spending for shit results.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It. Happens.

If your expectations are for them to play at a high level for 60 minutes for an entire season, watch a different sport. No one does it. Tampa doesn't and they're on pace for a historic type season.

They're missing their best D-man and one of their best ES scorers. They've done very well in their absences.

If you want to be mad about something, I'd point the finger at our 2nd line and how much money we're spending for **** results.
It's not necessarily a personnel issue, it's an issue of effort. Letang wouldn't change the outcome if we start a game like we did today.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's less of a "brushing off" and "excuse" to say that games like today happen, and more of just a reality. The Blues aren't a bad team, and the Pens aren't the Bolts. We're a team that's been fighting for our playoff spot for weeks, meaning we're not very good. :laugh: To get so worked up over a loss to a relatively good team doesn't make sense to me. It means you've got unrealistic expectations. In reality, this team's been buoyed by the play of Sid and Jake with really solid performances by Murray for months. The entire team, forwards as well as blueliners, have done a total 180 in terms of commitment to defensive play in recent weeks, and it's been a huge reason we've gone on this nice little run. That being said, these guys aren't robots man. They're gonna have off nights, or shitty games now and then. The key is to minimize those nights, and I think we've done just about as good a job at that as one could hope for over the past month or so.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I think it's less of a "brushing off" and "excuse" to say that games like today happen, and more of just a reality. The Blues aren't a bad team, and the Pens aren't the Bolts. We're a team that's been fighting for our playoff spot for weeks, meaning we're not very good. :laugh: To get so worked up over a loss to a relatively good team doesn't make sense to me. It means you've got unrealistic expectations. In reality, this team's been buoyed by the play of Sid and Jake with really solid performances by Murray for months. The entire team, forwards as well as blueliners, have done a total 180 in terms of commitment to defensive play in recent weeks, and it's been a huge reason we've gone on this nice little run. That being said, these guys aren't robots man. They're gonna have off nights, or ****ty games now and then. The key is to minimize those nights, and I think we've done just about as good a job at that as one could hope for over the past month or so.
I don’t see anybody getting “worked up”, I see people concerned about the reoccurrence of the Pens not being ready for games and losing points because of it.

I haven’t seen any posts with someone ranting “blow up this f***ing team!” “Sid sucks, Geno sucks, Letang sucks, Sullivan sucks!”.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember folks - if a user just so happens to only show up when the Pens lose, just utilize the ignore user function. It's a great function on the site. :) We have a lot of great posters. Don't let a small handful spotlight a thread. If you ignore them, the posts don't appear and to be honest the poster eventually goes away. :)

Reactions: ncm7772

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's not necessarily a personnel issue, it's an issue of effort. Letang wouldn't change the outcome if we start a game like we did today.
considering Trotman was a big part of the Blues starting their scoring, I disagree. I feel like the level of "not showing up" is being way way overblown. We looked a bit slow, we didn't look awful though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I have no idea what any of this means aside for your typical hate mongering about “your team”.

Penguins just had a huge win streak blowing out Boston who you said would “hand us our asses”, the Capitals who we were down two
goals who you said “won the 1st so the game was over”, and Buffalo who you said “we would definitely lose to since we struggle with these types of teams”.

St. Louis HAD to win today. They came out hot in the 1st and then did some damage to our D due to laziness in the 2nd.

You seriously are one of those Pitt fans who let me get two Game 5 tickets for under 500 dollars because as soon as there is any adversity you’d rather criticize the squad than actually be patient and watch the games.

Just stop. There’s being negative and there is just flat out complaining about every facet of “your team’s” game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Remember folks - if a user just so happens to only show up when the Pens lose, just utilize the ignore user function. It's a great function on the site. :) We have a lot of great posters. Don't let a small handful spotlight a thread. If you ignore them, the posts don't appear and to be honest the poster eventually goes away. :)

I won’t let anyone win and force me to use the ignore button for the 1st time!!!

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember - some folks live their lives in negativity. They will never change in real life or in entertainment. 11-4-2 in the last 17. Not many teams can boast that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t see anybody getting “worked up”, I see people concerned about the reoccurrence of the Pens not being ready for games and losing points because of it.

I haven’t seen any posts with someone ranting “blow up this ****ing team!” “Sid sucks, Geno sucks, Letang sucks, Sullivan sucks!”.
You don't see anyone getting worked up? Seriously? :laugh:

What a bunch of lazy unmotivated idiots. This team is a pile of ****. These players are ****. They don't won't to get into playoffs. They don't want to play for Stanley Cup. They didn't even try to score. These dumb jerks, including Crosby and Kessel, kept shooting into the pads or wide. Bleeping morons.
Followed by several more posts like this. I'm sure there are others several pages back as well by other posters.

I'm just trying to placate the masses, man. Even if you're (in general, not you specifically) rattled after today's loss where the team looked disinterested for much of the game, why go so hard? :laugh: None of us are popping champagne after this game, but some are going full bore with overreactions.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Thank you for the reminder. Just did some housecleaning and this feels like a whole new board! Life is too short to waste with nattering nabobs of negativism.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't get this forum. It's either pure joy or pure hatred for many. There can be an in-between. But I think some like to complain about the Penguins as much as they like to see the team win.

Life goes on. We lost to the Blues. Not going to go undefeated. Still going to make the playoffs.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thank you for the reminder. Just did some housecleaning and this feels like a whole new board! Life is too short to waste with nattering nabobs of negativism.

That goes for life, too. Some people just live for negativity. Makes no sense to me. So preach on!

Discussing why the Pens lost is completely understandable. Being frustrated at times is completely understandable. But I think we all know there are some excessive negative ones that probably live that way IRL, too.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
considering Trotman was a big part of the Blues starting their scoring, I disagree. I feel like the level of "not showing up" is being way way overblown. We looked a bit slow, we didn't look awful though.

I thought they looked more than a bit slow in the first. They looked like a team that had a serious let down after a big victory on Thurs. playing a team that had been struggling. They didn't look better until it was 4-0, at which time the Blues probably took the foot of the gas a bit. That's like 6-0-1 for the Blues at PPG recently. It's like Dallas (a few years ago) and still Chicago.

Trotman's been awful. Cough drop had some rough games before he was scratched, but that and T's right-handedness shouldn't keep him in the lineup. Maybe 58 will be back tomorrow, but I kind of doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad