Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 3- Jussi that? You Jokinen Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Bort/Maatta: First NHL point for Maatta! Congratulations to him. This pairing has great chemistry and both guys are playing beyond my wildest dreams. It's still very early and we still have to see that pairing tested against big time NHL hitters. Nonetheles, another great game by these 2. Bort is killing it this year and would be the highlight of the early season if it weren't for Maatta playing out of his mind.

The thing about Maatta, he has vision/skating/a great stick and it's all NHL ready. Will his body hold up? Do we send him back? He's REALLY looking good.

+ The real #12: Chucky looks like he is crafty and isn't afraid to get a little physical. I like his defense and he goes to the tough areas to get goals. He stays nice and low in those tough areas. That's what we need.

+ Jussi Jokinen: He scores goals. He reminds me a bit of Sykora with faceoff ability. He just scores goals. And he floats around a lot less. Why was he benched last playoffs again?

+ Coaching: I see a lot more emphasis on good defense and puck support. It's gradually getting better and better. It's not perfect, but it's getting better.

+ Defense: Scuds, Orpik, Martin, Maatta, and Bort are playing tremendous defense. Lots of season left,but you have to like what you see. I don't know who's making this happen, but keep it going! Good responsibility in the d-zone. Great gaps. Great urgency. Heads on a swivel. I love it.

+ Fleury: Regular season Fleury in full effect. I like what I see.

+ Geno/Sid: Not great games by Geno but you can feel him ready to explode. He's so close to a dominating game. Sid on the otherhand would look like a genius if his ******* linemates would do anything.

+ Glass/Adams/Vitale: Sigh.... but it's true.

Minus

- Nisky: What hasn't been said about him? He's pretty bad right now. He was owned all night by Gerbe. That's sad.

- Kunitz/Dupers: Not ready at all for Sid. They both look behind the play and when they get the puck, they fumble it around. Dupers has a CLEAR 2 on 1 w/ Sid and couldn't even get the puck on net or through.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Jokinen, 21 games with Pittsburgh...10 goals, 7 assists for 17 points. 66 point pace

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Plus

+ Bort/Maatta: First NHL point for Maatta! Congratulations to him. This pairing has great chemistry and both guys are playing beyond my wildest dreams. It's still very early and we still have to see that pairing tested against big time NHL hitters. Nonetheles, another great game by these 2. Bort is killing it this year and would be the highlight of the early season if it weren't for Maatta playing out of his mind.

The thing about Maatta, he has vision/skating/a great stick and it's all NHL ready. Will his body hold up? Do we send him back? He's REALLY looking good.

You've highlighted the reasons why I definitely don't want him to stay up all while he's showcasing why he's such a good prospect. Tons of skill and awareness. That said, he's being sheltered on the third pairing now. What happens against Boston and Detroit on the road when they can get the big boys out there against him? I don't really want to see that, especially come playoff time. Come back in a year or two with more weight and he'll be here to stay.

Letang moves Niskanen to a more manageable role where he fits well, do not keep Maatta up (sorry if that offends the HF prospects > all hivemind).

+ Glass / Adams - For playing their roles well, and contributing. Glass playing well his first three games.

+ Martin - Extraordinary game from him. An underrated great game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Animated-Flag-Finland.gif

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
+ and - : Glass with the sick backhand goal :laugh:

- : all the wooing

+ and - : Kunitz is playing himself off a spot on Team Canada.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
+ Carolina paying for that hat trick
+ Olli Olli Olli
+ Crosby
+ CAM WARD
+ Glass
+ Martin
+ Orpik

- Dupuis
- Niskanen

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Plus

+ The real #12: Chucky looks like he is crafty and isn't afraid to get a little physical. I like his defense and he goes to the tough areas to get goals. He stays nice and low in those tough areas. That's what we need.

+ Jussi Jokinen: He scores goals. He reminds me a bit of Sykora with faceoff ability. He just scores goals. And he floats around a lot less. Why was he benched last playoffs again?

+ Coaching: I see a lot more emphasis on good defense and puck support. It's gradually getting better and better. It's not perfect, but it's getting better.

+ Defense: Scuds, Orpik, Martin, Maatta, and Bort are playing tremendous defense. Lots of season left,but you have to like what you see. I don't know who's making this happen, but keep it going! Good responsibility in the d-zone. Great gaps. Great urgency. Heads on a swivel. I love it.

+ Fleury: Regular season Fleury in full effect. I like what I see.

+ Geno/Sid: Not great games by Geno but you can feel him ready to explode. He's so close to a dominating game. Sid on the otherhand would look like a genius if his ******* linemates would do anything.

+ Glass/Adams/Vitale: Sigh.... but it's true.

Minus

- Nisky: What hasn't been said about him? He's pretty bad right now. He was owned all night by Gerbe. That's sad.

- Kunitz/Dupers: Not ready at all for Sid. They both look behind the play and when they get the puck, they fumble it around. Dupers has a CLEAR 2 on 1 w/ Sid and couldn't even get

1. Maatta got over 6 minutes in the third period. The Pens looked better offensively in the third period without sacrificing defensively. Is this a case of 1 + 1 = 2?

2. Agree on Geno looking ready to explode. Weird, seemed like he was almost toying with the Canes. Encouraging thing is he's not cheating and still setting everyone up instead of getting frustrated. Really seems helped by systemic changes.

3. One day, Sid will realize that there are more important things than LIKING your linemates. :laugh:

4. To add to what you posted, I think Jeffrey really has added a dynamic to the third line. Too bad he'll be the odd man out when Neal returns.

5. To go back to Maatta (and Borts), they are the ONLY defensive pairing that's been on the ice for 0 goals against. I don't care how 'sheltered' people think they are, they weren't sheltered in the third tonight, they're not being sheltered on all those shifts with the fourth line, and I don't recall them really giving up prime scoring chances (even when you think you've got a chance, Maatta's stick says 'no dice').

Nightwing

Nov 23, 2010
Ottawa
I'm sure the maatta decision would be a tough one to make, as theres no telling what the 82 game season could do to him. Would be much simpler if we trade Nisky and have him and Despres rotate or something

Anyways...
+ to Malkin, He played really well this game and was able to use his linemates
+ JJ Nice hatrick, first goal was a beauty

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You've highlighted the reasons why I definitely don't want him to stay up all while he's showcasing why he's such a good prospect. Tons of skill and awareness. That said, he's being sheltered on the third pairing now. What happens against Boston and Detroit on the road when they can get the big boys out there against him? I don't want to see that. He needs to put on weight.

Letang moves Niskanen to a more manageable role where he fits well, do not keep Maatta up (sorry if that offends the HF prospects > all hivemind).

+ Glass / Adams - For playing their roles well, and contributing. Glass playing well his first three games.

+ Martin - Extraordinary game from him. An underrated great game from him.

1. Maatta was NOT sheltered in the third. Over six minutes, and it was the Pens best offensive period without them losing anything defensively.

2. What makes you think Nisky-Borts will be as good as Maatta-Borts even NOW?

3. The only player who needed sheltered tonight was Nisky. Not Glass. Not Bennett. Not Maatta. Nisky.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gerbe with his speed messed up not only Niskanen, but Niskanen did look bad.

Happy for you, JJ.+++
Fleury still is holding up.++
Tanner (freak you all out) Glass.+++
Maatta with his first two points, Beau messing his trifecta up.++
Kobasew is just so much more than we ever got from, TK.+

No minuses from me in wins this year. Give some props to the Canes for fighting back.:freddie:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's only 3 games still but if Maata keeps impressing. I don't see how you can send him down. He's cheap and makes the team better at this point.

Even if the Pens are confident moving forward with Niskanen/Despres. Do they like the combined salary of the 2 with this year being so tight to the cap?

It will be interesting.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
1. Maatta was NOT sheltered in the third. Over six minutes, and it was the Pens best offensive period without them losing anything defensively.

2. What makes you think Nisky-Borts will be as good as Maatta-Borts even NOW?

Ok, it was one period, and it was a good one. Six minutes is not a season, or a playoff series. That proves less than nothing.

We've seen Niskanen play well, especially on the third pairing, where he's more suited and probably more comfortable. Why err on the side of a 170 pound defenceman there against Boston over an established NHLer, who's the whipping boy around here because I'm not even sure why?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok, it was one period, and it was a good one. Six minutes is not a season, or a playoff series. That proves less than nothing.

We've seen Niskanen play well, especially on the third pairing, where he's more suited and probably more comfortable. Why err on the side of a 170 pound defenceman there against Boston over an established NHLer, who's the whipping boy around here because I'm not even sure why?

Niskanen has games like this way too often for my liking. He plays this badly just as often as he plays legitimately well. Usually he's very mediocre. He is not one of our 6 best defenseman at this point. Despres and Maatta are both as good or better. And cheaper. We can use that money for a deadline move for a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad