Player Discussion: Cole Sillinger thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ugh. Just let the kid play juniors. Very very few kids are ready for AHL/NHL action at 18, and if hes “too good” for juniors then who cares let him dominate and grow his confidence.

I get the sense watching Cole Sillinger that

1) he overflows with confidence and has already been dominating for a long time.

2) he doesn't always use his teammates well, which isn't surprising because he's by far the best scoring threat on the ice.

3) his shot selection is sometimes weak, he'll just fling pucks on net from anywhere, and they'll go in at that level so why not.

4) he takes shifts off and seems kind of bored at times.

Yeah not every kid is ready for the AHL but not every kid is best off staying in juniors. You have to look case by case.

I appreciate both of these and get the motivation for either approach. I’m not going to pretend I know we’ll enough which is best so I will do the normal thing where I say I trust the org to make the best decision for the players development and then complain later if it doesn’t work right.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I appreciate both of these and get the motivation for either approach. I’m not going to pretend I know we’ll enough which is best so I will do the normal thing where I say I trust the org to make the best decision for the players development and then complain later if it doesn’t work right.

Yes, and I should be clear that I don't actually think that I know better than the FO, they will surely watch every game of his and closely monitor Sillinger in camp. I'm just saying that, based on what I can see, I think he looks like an exception to the general idea that teenagers don't belong in the AHL.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yes, and I should be clear that I don't actually think that I know better than the FO, they will surely watch every game of his and closely monitor Sillinger in camp. I'm just saying that, based on what I can see, I think he looks like an exception to the general idea that teenagers don't belong in the AHL.

Yeah I know it sounded like it but it was not my intent to suggest so, I was just trying to get where I could complain.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Once a guy "dominates" as Sillinger has apparently done I think that player should move on to the next challenge. To me that is the AHL. He learns how to play at a higher level. If he excels he can always be brought up to the Jackets. And from the Jackets perspective he stays on his ELC for 3 more years.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Scott Wheeler's top 100 (June 2021)

9. Cole Sillinger — C/LW, Medicine Hat Tigers/Sioux Falls Stampede, six-feet

Sillinger’s one of the players I’m higher on than most in this draft. His biggest asset is that he’s got some of the best hands in the draft and he’s strong over pucks. So he can beat defenders one-on-one without ever getting touched and then when they do bump him, he’s able to shed past and maintain control too. Those skills also complement a wrist shot that pops off of his blade in line with the two other best shooters in the draft (Lucius and McTavish). Where Lucius’ goal-scoring ability is about his release point and his accuracy, and McTavish’s is about how hard he shoots it, Sillinger is somewhere in the middle. He’s always engaged in the play, he can outmuscle his man along the wall to win back pucks, his head is always up and identifying his options, and the skill is there. He needs to continue to get a little quicker from a standstill (he’s powerful once he gets going) but he’s a lot to handle offensively and he’s going to be a good player off of the puck because of his work ethic and his strength.
Here’s a source on Sillinger: “I’d say Sillinger is ahead of Guenther. He’s more dynamic. He can take over a game by himself. Guenther’s very good, really good, but Sillinger is scary. He’s a freak. Sillinger’s a stud.”
More: NHL Draft prospect Cole Sillinger is done keeping up with his family. Now it’s about surpassing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614 and rotsbu

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Once a guy "dominates" as Sillinger has apparently done I think that player should move on to the next challenge. To me that is the AHL. He learns how to play at a higher level. If he excels he can always be brought up to the Jackets. And from the Jackets perspective he stays on his ELC for 3 more years.
I thought that playing in the AHL would burn his ELC, not slide it?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I thought that playing in the AHL would burn his ELC, not slide it?

I don't think so. Here is the CBA part that I think covers him :

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year,
except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

I might be wrong in interpreting the legalese? Bueller? Anyone?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I don't think so. Here is the CBA part that I think covers him :

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year,
except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

I might be wrong in interpreting the legalese? Bueller? Anyone?
I think you’re right actually.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Sillinger does not make the team out of camp, he will be sent to the AHL where he will again dominate so much that he will be brought back to Columbus no later than March. He will then be assigned to center one of the top two lines.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
If Sillinger does not make the team out of camp, he will be sent to the AHL where he will again dominate so much that he will be brought back to Columbus no later than March. He will then be assigned to center one of the top two lines.

Is this unusual optimism from you or more to be expected cynicism?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

You think they would send him down to the AHL but bring him back in March to burn the 1st year of ELC? If that happens, Columbus is playing for a whole lot more than I anticipated.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Realistic IMO.

I'm not suggesting he's going to be great at the NHL level this year, but I think he'd look great at the AHL level and has a good chance of earning an extended look in the NHL later in the year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You think they would send him down to the AHL but bring him back in March to burn the 1st year of ELC? If that happens, Columbus is playing for a whole lot more than I anticipated.

I think the Jackets are far more interested in not burning an RFA year - he would reach UFA status a year earlier if he was on the Jackets roster for 40+ games.

The earlier the ELC ends, by the way, the less he'll make on contract number two. But the big concern as a franchise isn't money, it's team control, so as long as he's an RFA we're good.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think the Jackets are far more interested in not burning an RFA year - he would reach UFA status a year earlier if he was on the Jackets roster for 40+ games.

The earlier the ELC ends, by the way, the less he'll make on contract number two. But the big concern as a franchise isn't money, it's team control, so as long as he's an RFA we're good.
This team has major issues if we worry about a guy possibly leaving in 6-7 years instead of building an environment that will make him want to stay during that time period.

Do what is right for each individual person's development and make proper decisions to build a winner. Those things will sort out the fear of someone wanting to leave as a UFA. This city is better than Pittsburgh but people stay there because they are contenders.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This team has major issues if we worry about a guy possibly leaving in 6-7 years instead of building an environment that will make him want to stay during that time period.

Do what is right for each individual person's development and make proper decisions to build a winner. Those things will sort out the fear of someone wanting to leave as a UFA. This city is better than Pittsburgh but people stay there because they are contenders.

It's not just paranoia about guys leaving, many teams think this way because if you want to build a winner it helps to have your stars on RFA contracts. If you're paying UFA prices by the time they're 25, then it's harder to fill out a Cup-worthy roster.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
He hasn’t “dominated” at the CHL level yet though. The USHL is inferior to the WHL, and both obviously are a step below the AHL. But dominating at the USHL level doesn’t mean anything really, going back to the WHL would not be bad for him.

If he earns it out of camp that would be great, but there is really no rush.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Sillinger is good enough to make the team out of camp then the Jackets will not be in the running for Shane Wright. There is zero point in playing Sillinger anywhere but the top 6.

I like Sillinger but some of the people in here need to stop drinking the Koolaid.
And Shane could be drafted before Columbus could draft him. ;)

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If Sillinger is one of our 2 best centers out of camp I would think it 100% tells us how bad the team will be.
I'm totally fine giving him 9 games to make a little money and get some experience, but this team needs him to develop and IMO that's not with the Jackets this year.

Whole different story if he was a generational player who could take us from zero to contendor but that's not him right now.
Also would be different if we had a good team and needed a 2nd/3rd center/winger to add more depth.
But this team isn't going to win much, with or without Sillinger in 2021-22.

IMO:
If he really looked like he was developed (NHL ready), with his pedigree he would have went in the top 5 in the draft. Him going 11th just says he needs at least another year of devloping.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Sillinger is one of our 2 best centers out of camp I would think it 100% tells us how bad the team will be.
I'm totally fine giving him 9 games to make a little money and get some experience, but this team needs him to develop and IMO that's not with the Jackets this year.

Whole different story if he was a generational player who could take us from zero to contendor but that's not him right now.
Also would be different if we had a good team and needed a 2nd/3rd center/winger to add more depth.

IMO:
If he really looked like he was developed (NHL ready), with his pedigree he would have went in the top 5 in the draft. Him going 11th just says he needs at least another year of devloping.
I disagree with you. Don't forget what the situation is with the centres. Roslovic needs to learn to play without the puck, Texier isn`t a classical center, Kuraly and Jenner are grinders. Still Foudy but I`m not sure if he can return habbits. Then there's Dunne, Gaunce, Stenlund, Angle, Danforth.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He hasn’t “dominated” at the CHL level yet though. The USHL is inferior to the WHL, and both obviously are a step below the AHL. But dominating at the USHL level doesn’t mean anything really, going back to the WHL would not be bad for him.

If he earns it out of camp that would be great, but there is really no rush.

He was point per game in the WHL as a 16 year old. What do you think is going to happen for him next year? It will be a piece of cake for Sillinger, not much that pushes him to grow.

I say AHL would be best for his development.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

IMO:

I think you make those decisions about where he plays based on his skillset and where he is at. It's not based on a draft slot or anything else. You have to ask where the room for growth is and ask where the best place is for him to grow those attributes.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
If he goes to the WHL this year, can he play in Cleveland next season as a 19-year-old? He was “drafted” out of the USHL, but if he goes to the WHL and plays a game there, would that prevent him from playing in the AHL next year? That could be part of the calculation. He could maybe (emphasis on maybe) use a year in junior now, but I highly doubt he needs two, and if he’s still not ready for the NHL in 2022-23...

Reactions: LJ7201

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
He was point per game in the WHL as a 16 year old. What do you think is going to happen for him next year? It will be a piece of cake for Sillinger, not much that pushes him to grow.

I say AHL would be best for his development.
So were Nail Yakupov and Kerby Rychel. They sent Dubois back to round out his game, and it worked out fine, seemed to improve as well.

I would hope that Sillinger would go back and be above a point per game in that league, improve his overall game and get ice time in every situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
So we finally have a young guy with super talent and plays a man's style of hockey. And some of you want to send him back to the WHL to play against boys !!!!!! Sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad