Cole Sillinger and the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Could be said about sending him and Chinakov to the AHL.

You send him to play more minutes in more situations and come back with some offensive confidence in his game.

This. Of course, there is not a standard practice for these kinds of decisions. The organization has to make the best determination for each individual player - ideally, with some (non-binding) input from the player himself.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah but the AHL >>>>>>>> World Juniors comp
During some random stretch in the middle of the year? Doubt it, atleast when the top countries are playing each other and everyone is revved up. Its not some terrible hockey, its pretty high intensity and competitive when the big boys play. Its nice to see how kids react in high pressure situations as once you get past the round robin you are basically playing multiple game 7s.
Plus Sillinger and Chinakhov would likely have important roles on their respective teams and be put in many positions which isnt a given in the AHL.

Reactions: EspenK and Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cole was a non-factor again last night. He's got a whole arsenal of moves and skills that he doesn't get to use at the NHL level, because of his slow speed and maybe the jump in competition. I think he would benefit from ramping up to this level of competition more gradually. So WJC + a few months in the AHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Cole was a non-factor again last night. He's got a whole arsenal of moves and skills that he doesn't get to use at the NHL level, because of his slow speed and maybe the jump in competition. I think he would benefit from ramping up to this level of competition more gradually. So WJC + a few months in the AHL.

But that would make Jarmo look foolish?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
He may have fizzled out regardless but I think Laine getting hurt kinda took away the only line I thought Sillinger fit on. I'm almost fine with waiting until Laine is back to see if reuniting that line brings Sillinger's game back to life. It was strangely the only line Sillinger could do anything on, and at the same time Cole seemed to do better than Tex or Jenner did between them. Sample size is small though.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Fully agree with your views on his skills and the lack of speed. Not sure if sending him down is best decision for his development but if that implicitly means we'll get to see some of Foudy, TFW, Bem or Angle in Columbus with the big club for a while, then I'm more open to the idea.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But that would make Jarmo look foolish?

How?

Are you still yammering on about the 9 game thing? It's the 40 game mark that matters.

He may have fizzled out regardless but I think Laine getting hurt kinda took away the only line I thought Sillinger fit on. I'm almost fine with waiting until Laine is back to see if reuniting that line brings Sillinger's game back to life. It was strangely the only line Sillinger could do anything on, and at the same time Cole seemed to do better than Tex or Jenner did between them. Sample size is small though.

With Cole I think it's more fundamental, this isn't a chemistry issue.

Fully agree with your views on his skills and the lack of speed. Not sure if sending him down is best decision for his development but if that implicitly means we'll get to see some of Foudy, TFW, Bem or Angle in Columbus with the big club for a while, then I'm more open to the idea.

Yeah it's not like we don't have other prospects that could use a look. Danforth looked good at center the other night so I'm not worried about not having centers either.

But both of those topics are irrelevant when it comes to where Cole would best develop. I just think AHL pace is a tad slower and that will give Cole the space to use his skills. He is very creative and skilled and needs to play in a setting where he can keep using those puck skills as he (hopefully) gradually gets faster.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
How does playing against significantly worse competition for a week and a half help his development?

The WJC is a significant event for all players. To play for your country, that is probably right up there with playing in the Olympics, maybe moreso because you are playing against your peers (same age group). This is a big deal and should not be marginalized.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-12-13_12-48-58.png

Sillinger has 1-1-2 in his last 13 games and is averaging just 11:52 at 5v5 in those games. His underlying metrics / shot share are all very good in that time, but he's been struck with bad luck...just a 4.55% on-ice shooting percentage and an 85.92% on-ice save % in that time.

The only forwards averaging less ice time at 5v5 in the past 13 games...Danforth, Chinakhov, and Roslovic.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad