Cole Caufield potential.

Potential of Cole Caufield.

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
50 goals.

But to me "potential" means ceiling. I think he has a very high ceiling - but he also has a very high risk, due to his size. He could score 50+ goals potentially in the best of scenarios, but he could also completely fail to establish himself as even a regular NHL'er. So big gap

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
He’s a lock for 20 I’d say, but a lot of prospects have 50 goal potential but very few every reach it

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Again where I miss the old HF prospect rating system. Could he hypothetically become a 50 goal guy? Yes. Is it Likely? No.

I think he will hover around the 30-40 range similar to Paccioretty.

So I voted yes he has 50 goal potential, but if you asked me most likely outcome. 35 goals a season if he doesn't bust.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
40 goals for now. It’s too hard to score 50.

I think DeBrincat is a good example of what Cole can become.

Reactions: EK392000

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
like, ceiling? probably like 40 but i think 30-35 is more realistic.

while he has tons of potential to be great, he also has big bust potential.

he's a boom or bust guy. i think he is either a 30 goal scorer top sixer or not in the NHL. he doesnt have a bottom 6 skillset.

Reactions: bh53

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ceiling, as in if everything goes absolutely right? Or realistic ceiling, as in the most likely best he'll become?

Realistic ceiling is probably in the 25-30 goal range, with down years below that and peak years slightly above that.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think he ends up like Yamamoto or Tyler Johnson rather than Debrincat scoring 40

Also anyone voting 50 needs to give their head a shake. Look at who has actually scored 50 goals in the past 9 years- Ovi and Draisaitl. That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
50 goals.

But to me "potential" means ceiling. I think he has a very high ceiling - but he also has a very high risk, due to his size. He could score 50+ goals potentially in the best of scenarios, but he could also completely fail to establish himself as even a regular NHL'er. So big gap
Again where I miss the old HF prospect rating system. Could he hypothetically become a 50 goal guy? Yes. Is it Likely? No.

I think he will hover around the 30-40 range similar to Paccioretty.

So I voted yes he has 50 goal potential, but if you asked me most likely outcome. 35 goals a season if he doesn't bust.
Wouldn't call it a lock. His floor is a complete bust who's not an NHL player and his ceiling is a 50 goal scorer. Probably one of the most boom bust prospect.

I think it's safe to say he doesn't have 50 goal potential.
Look at who has actually scored 50 goals in a season the past 9 years- Ovi and Draisaitl. That's it.

It's safer to say basically no one has 50 goal potential, because it basically doesn't happen outside of a generational goal scorer and a 3rd overall MVP caliber player having a monster year (and he has the best playmaker in the world on his team helping set up some of those goals).

Sure McDavid, Matthews, Pastrnak have the potential but they still haven't hit that mark yet.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I dont like the "per season" wording. Nobody in the last 30 years has had 50 goal "per season" potential other than Alex Ovechkin. Does Caufield have have 40 or even 50 goal potential? Sure, I think so. But I think in Montreal that'll be difficult.

If he were on a team like say Edmonton then I would say its much more likely.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
his shot is elite, theres no question. And hes proven his goal scoring talent 3 years in a row now

if his size and skill can translate well I see him putting up 35-40. If he plays with an elite playmaker one day, I can see 45+

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Burning college goalies and defence is a far cry from doing it at the NHL level.

People don’t realize how hard it is to score 30 goals in the NHL a season. A handful of players hit that mark consistently a year. 50 goals are near impossible. There’s two guys who’ve done it over the past decade. Two. Two of hundreds of players that have played a game.

If this guy could give Montreal 25 a year, that’d be impressive.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
His shot is actually elite. Most his size are quick but not fast (big difference) he legit has speed. I don’t think his size will be a major issue. I could see him peaking 40-45 goals and being a perennial 25-30guy

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You can have the best shot in the world, doesn't mean a whole lot if you never get into the position to use it. I think he has a lot to overcome to succeed at the NHL level between his size/speed combo.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think it's safe to say he doesn't have 50 goal potential.
Look at who has actually scored 50 goals in a season the past 9 years- Ovi and Draisaitl. That's it.

It's safer to say basically no one has 50 goal potential, because it basically doesn't happen outside of a generational goal scorer and a 3rd overall MVP caliber player having a monster year (and he has the best playmaker in the world on his team helping set up some of those goals).

Sure McDavid, Matthews, Pastrnak have the potential but they still haven't hit that mark yet.

I get what you're saying - scoring 50 is super rare. But Caulfield is one of the better goal-scoring prospects of the past 20 years or so. It just follows that his ceiling is high. You're right he probably won't score 50, good chance he doesn't even score 30 or 40, and possibility he busts completely at NHL level. But I think his ceiling is high.

For what it's worth - when you mention McDavid/Matthews/Pastrnak - to me their ceiling isn't 50, nor even 60 - it's probably closer to 70 goals. ie matching Ovechkin's peak in a slightly higher scoring era. They probably won't reach that, but I think that's the absolute best they could in a perfect storm of a peak;/high scoring season. So I don't think similarly saying Caulfield has a ceiling of 50 is much of an issue.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
You can have the best shot in the world, doesn't mean a whole lot if you never get into the position to use it. I think he has a lot to overcome to succeed at the NHL level between his size/speed combo.
One of his best attributes is finding those spots, thats why he scores so much at his height...

Reactions: Deam78

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Depends on who he has as triggermen

He wont be scoring 30+ on his own; he doesnt have the skating for that

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
his shot is elite, theres no question. And hes proven his goal scoring talent 3 years in a row now

if his size and skill can translate well I see him putting up 35-40. If he plays with an elite playmaker one day, I can see 45+

Are you think Suzuki or Kotkaniemi can be elite playmaker?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He can hit 40 his best season as his ceiling. Most likely outcome is he hits around 30-35 his best season, and regularly scores mid 20’s in goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad