Signing(s): Colby Rasmus returns to Houston after becoming the first player ever to accept a QO

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Smart. He isn't worth nearly what the qo is paying and at max he would have gotten 2-3 years at a significantly lower annual rate.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He had a good playoffs but he's not worth almost 16 million at all. Silly move by the 'stros when he could have been had for less.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Smart move. Take the big pay day now. He'll literally get the exact same offers next offseason as he would this offseason so this doesn't really hurt him at all.

Outisde of some horrific injury or a historically bad low season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Little surprised there was no market for him. Then again he's a risky guy to commit multiple years to.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Someone could've gave him 3/30 - 3/40 type deal. 10-13 mill per year range.

I could see him passing on a 3/30 deal as he would only have to make 2/14 to achieve that after this 1 year deal and he would certainly get that but 3/40 would be too rich too pass up I think.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Damn, there goes my dream of landing Gordon.

Some positives/negatives

Positives
-It's only for 1 year. He's still playing for a new contract for next year. Allows the Astros to still see if he fits in long term. If he plays poorly, you let him walk. Has another decent season/playoffs and you offer him another contract.

-You can still renegotiate the contract. $15.8 is a lot but maybe he goes lower for a multi year deal.

-Outfield is set. Had he signed elsewhere and didn't find a replacement their outfielders would have been Tucker(not great on defense)/Marisnick in LF. Gomez at center, and Springer in right. But Rasmus,Gomez,Springer with Marisnick as the 4th outfielder looks so much better. Tucker could now be used as trade bait.
*bad thing though, both Rasmus and Gomez are free agents next year. Might not be able to keep both

-Get a player who really enjoys the team/wanted to stay.

Negatives
-He's 1 of many players on the team who hits homers but also strikeout a lot. Also, low batting average. Would have been nice to find a replacement that has a higher batting average and gets on base more, even if it meant less homers.

-Speaking of replacement, there were reports that they had interest in Gordon but I'm sure that is no longer the case.

-$15.8 million is a lot. Does that change their game plan regarding free agents?

-Can't trade him until June 15th.

I'm sure there are other negatives but can't think of any right now. Will edit post if I come across any others.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
a one year deal is great for the astros, not sure why they're going to regret it. they don't have anyone to fill rasmus's spot in 2016. if he sucks and goes down from last year (when he was very good) he's gone without any messy contract issues to be fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad