Former Bruins Colby Cave

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

The move made no sence unless another player coming in..Risked losing him for nothing.

He’s a perpetual scratch and doesn’t offer anything more than the other guys in the bottom-six. He’s young and should be playing, so Providence is a better option rather than sitting every game. Providence is now in a position to make a push for the playoffs and he’ll certainly help them, too.

Reactions: Chief Nine

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He’s a perpetual scratch and doesn’t offer anything more than the other guys in the bottom-six. He’s young and should be playing, so Providence is a better option rather than sitting every game. Providence is now in a position to make a push for the playoffs and he’ll certainly help them, too.

Even at a chance of losing him?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I get that but he had to clear to get there It was a risk at moment.If a Bruins goes down tonite say and he had been claimed today it would have forced Sweeney to try another guy they might not have wanted up.

BruinsNetwork

I get that but he had to clear to get there It was a risk at moment.If a Bruins goes down tonite say and he had been claimed today it would have forced Sweeney to try another guy they might not have wanted up.

He has to go through waivers today and he’ll have to go through waivers tomorrow. Don’t think that there’s a good time to expose someone to waivers, but it has to be done eventually.

Don’t think he’ll get claimed, but even if he does, it’s not that big of a deal IMO. He wasn’t being used in Boston, so it’s either sit him so he can’t be of service in the NHL, or try and get him through waivers so he can help Providence.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The move made no sence unless another player coming in..Risked losing him for nothing.
I doubt anyone gives up an asset for him so either you keep him all year and scratch him which does nothing for his development and value. Or you hope he clears so he continue to play and actually improve.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well, what good is he sitting in the press box every night?

Isn't that better then possibly losing a guy for nothing? There was ZERO reason to make this move now unless they needed to clear space for someone tomorrow. They are at 23 players plus Nordstrom on IR. No call ups. I don't think its a huge deal, but just struck me as odd as a move alone

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Isn't that better then possibly losing a guy for nothing? There was ZERO reason to make this move now unless they needed to clear space for someone tomorrow. They are at 23 players plus Nordstrom on IR. No call ups.

What did Cave cost you to begin with? Zero because he was a undrafted signing. Let's stop acting line Cave is some special talent that will stop us from winning. Cave has as much value as Noel Acciari.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Yeah that's what I said.
I think the only benefit from the waive is his salary does not count against the cap for us, even if he clears or gets picked up.
We are not in a desperate need to save his salary ( unless there is a trade in the works and we need the cap space?). He is a decent 4th line center, would expect the Hawks / Coyotes or Sens grab him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the only benefit from the waive is his salary does not count against the cap for us, even if he clears or gets picked up.
We are not in a desperate need to save his salary ( unless there is a trade in the works and we need the cap space?). He is a decent 4th line center, would expect the Hawks / Coyotes or Sens grab him.

Will be good to add his salary to the 8.8 mil under we already are. Is what it is, an injury tonight to a center would be ironic.

BruinsNetwork

Isn't that better then possibly losing a guy for nothing? There was ZERO reason to make this move now unless they needed to clear space for someone tomorrow. They are at 23 players plus Nordstrom on IR. No call ups. I don't think its a huge deal, but just struck me as odd as a move alone

Well, he frees up a little cap-space too, albeit not much. Aside from that, he’s gonna have to get put on waivers at some point, so why not today? Even if there is a move coming that we haven’t seen, he’s still gonna have to be exposed at some point. He should be playing somewhere, not sitting out, IMO.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What did Cave cost you to begin with? Zero because he was a undrafted signing. Let's stop acting line Cave is some special talent that will stop us from winning. Cave has as much value as Noel Acciari.

Kaspers Daugevins was the difference between the Bruins and another Stanley Cup.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Will be good to add his salary to the 8.8 mil under we already are. Is what it is, an injury tonight to a center would be ironic.
I do not think we can use 8.8 million in Projected Cap Space shown on Cap Friendly, you need to use the Cap space today number which is 3.8 mil to see how much salary you can add.
I am not an expert on the CAP, still learning, cut and pasted some info below.
I think Cehlarik or Senyshyn may get the call.
We have Acciari that fill in at Center along with Backes and Nordstrom will be back at some point.

Projected Total Cap Hit: Projected Total Cap Hit is a projection of the cap hit amounts for a team at the end of a season. It is calculated using pro-rated cap hits of all players and adjustments (buyouts, buried cap hits, etc) based on the number of days they impacted the team’s cap over the course of a season. Players and adjustments impacting the active roster currently are projected to impact the roster for the remainder of the season.
In the off-season, this is a simplified number that is a snapshot based on the current active roster if all players and adjustments were to impact the roster for the entire duration of a season. This includes all player cap hits (excluding potential performance bonuses) and any other cap hit obligations including retained cap hit, buyouts, deferred salary cap overages, buried cap hits, etc.
Cap Space Today: Cap Space Today is an estimate of the annual cap hit a team can add on the current day of the NHL schedule. It calculates the remaining number of days in the NHL season and uses this in conjunction with a team’s projected cap space and available LTIR to determine the total annual cap hit that can be added. For example, a team with $2 million in projected cap space at the midpoint of the season would have $4 million in ‘Cap Space Today’, allowing them to add a player with a $4 million cap hit to the roster.
In the off-season, ‘Cap Space Today’ shows a value that matches ‘Projected Total Cap Hit’ because there remain the same number of days in the NHL season throughout the off-season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I do not think we can use 8.8 million in Projected Cap Space shown on Cap Friendly, you need to use the Cap space today number which is 3.8 mil to see how much salary you can add.
I am not an expert on the CAP, still learning, cut and pasted some info below.
I think Cehlarik or Senyshyn may get the call.
We have Acciari that fill in at Center along with Backes and Nordstrom will be back at some point.

Projected Total Cap Hit: Projected Total Cap Hit is a projection of the cap hit amounts for a team at the end of a season. It is calculated using pro-rated cap hits of all players and adjustments (buyouts, buried cap hits, etc) based on the number of days they impacted the team’s cap over the course of a season. Players and adjustments impacting the active roster currently are projected to impact the roster for the remainder of the season.
In the off-season, this is a simplified number that is a snapshot based on the current active roster if all players and adjustments were to impact the roster for the entire duration of a season. This includes all player cap hits (excluding potential performance bonuses) and any other cap hit obligations including retained cap hit, buyouts, deferred salary cap overages, buried cap hits, etc.
Cap Space Today: Cap Space Today is an estimate of the annual cap hit a team can add on the current day of the NHL schedule. It calculates the remaining number of days in the NHL season and uses this in conjunction with a team’s projected cap space and available LTIR to determine the total annual cap hit that can be added. For example, a team with $2 million in projected cap space at the midpoint of the season would have $4 million in ‘Cap Space Today’, allowing them to add a player with a $4 million cap hit to the roster.
In the off-season, ‘Cap Space Today’ shows a value that matches ‘Projected Total Cap Hit’ because there remain the same number of days in the NHL season throughout the off-season.

I thought they had room to add a "8.8 mil dollars" now and 18 mil at the deadline. They started the season with almost 5 mil I thought and it just grows.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I thought they had room to add a "8.8 mil dollars" now and 18 mil at the deadline. They started the season with almost 5 mil I thought and it just grows.

Yeah, that's how I think it works. They have plenty of room to add whatever they can get.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah that's what I said.

Did I exaggerate? Yes. I just dont see why it really matters if anyone claims the kid. He's a depth NHL centerman that isnt the difference between the success or failure of this team. Hell before the season started he wasn't even a blip on fans radar, now were worrying about losing this "asset" for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB and Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For a small stretch it looked like he had value in the face-off circle but even that tailed off (under 47%).

Good-bye Trent.....sorry I mean Colby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad