GDT: COL vs. NYR: Ice Wars (9pm ET)

Easy Enough Poll: What is the best Star Wars Movie?

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • A New Hope

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Rouge One

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Other (If you pick this, you're wrong)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't mind MacK - Rants when Nuke is out, but agree with the above, need to vet how well Mack - Nuke and Mitts - Rants works as pairings.

Last night I did like how aggressively Wood was trying to funnel the puck to the net. It didn't pay off, but I did like the chaos it caused rather than things just dying on the boards.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't mind MacK - Rants when Nuke is out, but agree with the above, need to vet how well Mack - Nuke and Mitts - Rants works as pairings.

Last night I did like how aggressively Wood was trying to funnel the puck to the net. It didn't pay off, but I did like the chaos it caused rather than things just dying on the boards.
Yeah, I liked the way 28 played last night, first time in a while I thought he was making a positive impact.

I also liked Parise, though you can see just how much speed he's lost at his age when he was trying like hell to get to that loose puck. Prime-era Parise would've snagged it and put it in no problem.

Reactions: AslanRH

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can someone please explain to me how the NHL is not awarding an assist to MacKinnon on that second goal?:help:
If they did that to one of my players who had an ongoing record on the line I'd be furious.
I've watched the damned thing like 17times and still don't get it.
I'm sure Nate normally wouldn't care but this has hurt.

Reactions: xAvsx89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone please explain to me how the NHL is not awarding an assist to MacKinnon on that second goal?:help:
If they did that to one of my players who had an ongoing record on the line I'd be furious.
I've watched the damned thing like 17times and still don't get it.
I'm sure Nate normally wouldn't care but this has hurt.
It was very clearly an own goal and on own goals, they don't award assists.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Frustrating game imo, the second one in a row. No offensive flow for the most part in either and you could see the frustration. The poweplay was very bad, players everywhere trying to make something happen in the wrong kind of way.

Good game from George, hopefully that continues

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Frustrating game imo, the second one in a row. No offensive flow for the most part in either and you could see the frustration. The poweplay was very bad, players everywhere trying to make something happen in the wrong kind of way.

Good game from George, hopefully that continues
I actually didn't mind what they were trying to do with the power play this time around, the problem was that no one was going to the net. But at least they acknowledged that things needed to be changed up and guys couldn't keep just standing around anymore.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wish everyone would shut up about the streak already. It was stupid anyways, there was a game where MacKinnon didn’t get a point until the empty net.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It was very clearly an own goal and on own goals, they don't award assists.
Yeah that whole own goal thing wasn't evident on the angle I saw.
It is possible to have a puck go off a defender without the defender actually having control and we also see assists awarded all the time on rebound goals.
Did the defender actually sweep the puck into the net?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah that whole own goal thing wasn't evident on the angle I saw.
It is possible to have a puck go off a defender without the defender actually having control and we also see assists awarded all the time on rebound goals.
Did the defender actually sweep the puck into the net?
It is very clear

The sweeping action by Lindgren is about as own goal as it gets. This isn't a bounce of a shinpad or shaft... this was a sweep in. You could argue Rantanen caused the sweep, but that doesn't matter in who gets awarded the points.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wish everyone would shut up about the streak already. It was stupid anyways, there was a game where MacKinnon didn’t get a point until the empty net.
Chill out man. Gee I wonder if the great one ever had an empty netter in his streak.
It the assist wasn't merited great but there was nothing stupid about his streak.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not a terrible game. Lots of broken up passes in the offensive zone. The games are starting to get tighter as we approach the playoffs. Smaller mistakes and missed opportunities are going to start to get magnified.

And who on earth chose Attack of the Clones?
George's mom, I reckon. Gotta keep her kids confidence up.

• Wow
Reactions: LOFIN

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It is very clear

The sweeping action by Lindgren is about as own goal as it gets. This isn't a bounce of a shinpad or shaft... this was a sweep in. You could argue Rantanen caused the sweep, but that doesn't matter in who gets awarded the points.

The only thing I can see that they would overturn that decision is if Lindgren was only trying to protect the puck for Shesty to cover it and his sweeping action was caused by Mikko hitting his stick. In that case it could be judged that he didn't have possession of the puck and it would be Mikko's goal. Would Mack get an assist in that case? I don't know the rule in that case. With that said we are starting to reach here and I have no issue with the current call of own goal and therefore no assist for Mack.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only thing I can see that they would overturn that decision is if Lindgren was only trying to protect the puck for Shesty to cover it and his sweeping action was caused by Mikko hitting his stick. In that case it could be judged that he didn't have possession of the puck and it would be Mikko's goal. Would Mack get an assist in that case? I don't know the rule in that case. With that said we are starting to reach here and I have no issue with the current call of own goal and therefore no assist for Mack.
There is really no argument against an own goal beyond just wanting MacK's streak to continue. Even in the case where you're saying Lindgren was protecting the puck and trying to direct to Shesty... he's the guy with the puck and he ended up sweeping it in. Possession of the puck doesn't require 10 seconds or a deke or hockey move... the puck was on his stick and it was swept in.

We've already passed the time where it would be changed. IIRC any scoring changes have to happen prior to the start of the next league day. Most games are reviewed right after scoresheet submission by Toronto. Rare cases it happens the following morning. There won't be a scoring change now, and that is the correct thing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah I'm a little surprised at that too. The setup for the first goal was fantastic.
I feel it's a lack of foot speed causing him to look better with quick, fast, tenacious wingers. We saw what Duhaime and Lehkonen did with him in Vancouver against Pettersson.

Problem is you don't want Duhaime in your top six. Bednar doesn't, either, evidenced by Duhaime's 10 minutes TOI.

I wonder if that's what keeps Bednar from playing him with Mikko. Arguably the two slowest playing forwards on the team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’m already over the whole MacK streak ending and stuff. Being 2nd all time after Gretzky is not a bad accomplishment. Time to gear up for the final month of the regular season going into playoffs.

Avs do need to clear up few things going into playoffs which is far more important than MacK’s streak. They need to stop falling behind in games and play catch up. They can’t rely on coming back and winning games in the 3rd periods in the playoffs. And they need to get the PP going which has been awful lately

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The NHL really screwed one of their star players. Had a chance to make it right and doubled down to say **** you. That's okay, it's expected as one of the non-glamour NHL markets.

Let it be known then.

giphy.gif

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I actually didn't mind what they were trying to do with the power play this time around, the problem was that no one was going to the net. But at least they acknowledged that things needed to be changed up and guys couldn't keep just standing around anymore.
I really didn’t like their passing decisions and they felt rushed/forced to me. And their zone entries…..

Admittedly, I had company over and couldn’t fully concentrate on the game but casual viewings of the game did not paint a pretty picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad