Confirmed Trade: [COL/SJS] Matt Nieto and Ryan Merkley for Martin Kaut and Jacob MacDonald

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel Avalanche lost this simple because they took/ had to take Merkley.

Nieto is best player in the deal. That is saying something.
What exactly do you think is lost by having to take Merkley? What's the worst that can happen? If he's that toxic, tell him to sit the rest of the season and don't tender him a qualifying offer and it's done. He's on an expiring ELC. There's nothing lost having to take on Merkley.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Ironically one of the reasons Nieto is being brought in is for his offense. 8 goals and 15 points in 45 games doesn't sound like a lot, but consider this:
  • The Avalanche have used 27 forwards this season.
  • 18 of them have 4 points or less
  • 15 of them have 1 point or less
  • 12 of them have 0 points.
Having a team's top-9 forwards do all the scoring doesn't seem unusual...until you consider Nichushkin has missed 26 games, while MacKinnon and Rodrigues have each missed 11.

Suddenly you're in a situation where that group of 18 offensive black holes are playing 3rd line or even 2nd line minutes (who can forget Charles Hudon's short stretch on the first line?).

In other words, my only complaint about this trade is that it didn't come a month ago. Glad Nieto is back (they should've never let him leave), and glad Colorado has another NHL caliber player to add to its bottom-6.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I feel Avalanche lost this simple because they took/ had to take Merkley.

Nieto is best player in the deal. That is saying something.
It's pretty likely he stays in the AHL the rest of the season. They'll evaluate him and see if he's worth qualifying.

We had Jacob MacDonald playing LW because we had so many injuries... acquiring Nieto helps us there. I don't see how the Avs lose this even if BOTH Kaut and Merkley end up not getting qualified by either team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is a deal for Nieto with some interesting for draft geeks side details. The rest may turn into something interesting, but they’re all throw ins. Kaut has had chances and just doesn’t have what it takes to be a bottom six guy on the Avs. Maybe a fresh start for he and Merkley does them both good. SJ gets some depth while they slowly rebuild.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
TBF both organization should be better fits for each prospect's playing style.
Merk had ample opportunity to learn offensively from Karlsson, defensively from Vlasic and how to be a real hybrid from Burns. He took zero advantage of that.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
in a larger role - I think he can succeed. The opportunity is there in San Jose.

Unlike Merkley who is in a numbers game in Colorado and in my opinion was tacked onto this trade just because.
What role do you see Kaut playing in the NHL? There's a role I COULD see him playing at the NHL level, but it's a role not many teams run with.

When I look at Kaut I see a guy with average puck skills, above average read of the game, below average skating and a low end motor. He's not going to drive the play offensively, hes also not going to forecheck consistently. He will make generally good decisions with the puck and find his way into dangerous areas. He's also defensively responsible.

To me he's a complementary guy on a scoring third line. He definitely needs an offensive play driver on his line and imo he needs a heavy forechecker on his line that wins a lot of battles down low. With that setup I think he can find enough space to succeed. Not many teams are going to have this. I think he's going to be back in Europe very soon.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Disagree. It’s prospect for vet and vet for prospect.

Nieto for Kaut and MacDonald for Merkley. Sharks get a young wing that might have some untapped upside for their winger. Sharks get rid of a headache and take back a contract.

I doesn’t matter it’s framed, best player is serviceable Nieto for a deep playoff run. Rest are unlikely to have any impact or return next season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Merk had ample opportunity to learn offensively from Karlsson, defensively from Vlasic and how to be a real hybrid from Burns. He took zero advantage of that.
If only it was that simple.

But that wasn't his point, simply that San Jose play's a slower pace that fits Kaut's playstyle and the Avs' fit Merkley's playstyle better. This isn't to say that Merkley/Kaut will figure their shit out, but if they do they'll both be in a better position to develop into a serviceable NHL player.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Makes sense for the Avs. In a deep run, injuries are almost inevitable. He can slot into a top 6 position while being an effective PKer.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Merkley also had to play under Boughner's conservative playstyle in the NHL and McCarthy's God-knows-what playstyle in the AHL, with Karlsson mostly injured/not allowed to play his game, and Vlasic hasn't been a great defensive player since before Merkley was drafted.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Merkley also had to play under Boughner's conservative playstyle in the NHL and McCarthy's God-knows-what playstyle in the AHL, with Karlsson mostly injured/not allowed to play his game, and Vlasic hasn't been a great defensive player since before Merkley was drafted.
Are you honestly making excuses for him?

Reactions: Groo and Alienblood

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He hasn't been great but he hasn't been given the best circumstances to succeed either.
At a certain point he has to earn his place. He failed to do so for whatever reason, but it certainly seems like it’s because of the same red flags that kept teams away from him in the first place. His inability to find a place on the big club was 98% his own doing.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
At a certain point he has to earn his place. He failed to do so for whatever reason, but it certainly seems like it’s because of the same red flags that kept teams away from him in the first place. His inability to find a place on the big club was 98% his own doing.
I just can't buy that when guys who do literally nothing like Jonah Gadjovich or CJ Suess get a much longer leash.

Like I get it, basically all NHL orgs love their useless plugs who play hard, but it's still frustrating to watch, especially considering Merkley was legitimately a top-6 defenseman on last year's Sharks and our defense has only gotten worse since.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Colorado wins…Kauts neck is way too hairy

martin-kaut-2023-690.jpg
Lou Lams just rolled over in his grave...oh, never mind he's still alive and does not approve!

Merkley gonna thrive in colorado
Just like Josh Ho-Sang was gonna tear it up for Toronto?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I just can't buy that when guys who do literally nothing like Jonah Gadjovich or CJ Suess get a much longer leash.

Like I get it, basically all NHL orgs love their useless plugs who play hard, but it's still frustrating to watch, especially considering Merkley was legitimately a top-6 defenseman on last year's Sharks and our defense has only gotten worse since.
Dude was a liability with the Barracuda and wasn’t improving. What did he do to earn the right to be called up? He looked good in flashes last year but it’s obvious he took a step back simply because he didn’t make the club out of camp and decided to blame everyone but himself for that.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Dude was a liability with the Barracuda and wasn’t improving. What did he do to earn the right to be called up? He looked good in flashes last year but it’s obvious he took a step back simply because he didn’t make the club out of camp and decided to blame everyone but himself for that.

I always think it's fascinating how fans of NHL teams seem to think that players who aren't especially good at the AHL level are somehow getting ruined or screwed over by not getting big minutes at the NHL level. They couldn't be bothered with being better than their AHL teammates. If only the NHL organization had given them NHL powerplay time surely they could have been bothered to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad