Confirmed Trade: [COL/SEA] Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Avs saying this is Graves insurance or a Nemeth replacement are mistaken. We love MacD in LA, but he gets exposed in transition constantly. He’s a true heavyweight, and he can pull 7D duties periodically, but unless he takes a mammoth step forward I don’t think he should play regularly.

Reactions: ShonSaunders
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Avs saying this is Graves insurance or a Nemeth replacement are mistaken. We love MacD in LA, but he gets exposed in transition constantly. He’s a true heavyweight, and he can pull 7D duties periodically, but unless he takes a mammoth step forward I don’t think he should play regularly.

I'm hoping the Avs play him as a winger TBH, heard that LA was already starting to try that out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think it’s a good move by the Avs. They have been losing the little grit they had with Graves, Calvert, Bellemare etc so MacDermid gives them that element. And this may be a “f*** you” to Vegas and Reaves after what happened in that series.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I'm hoping the Avs play him as a winger TBH, heard that LA was already starting to try that out.

Worth a shot. He has decent top speed tbh, just takes him the whole damn rink to get up to it. I would hate to be a defenseman caught by him on a dump-in. He can send people through the boards and he regularly looks to kill people near the blue lines.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

for a second I thought you were talking about Graves.

Reactions: Danvalanche

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Even if Seattle didnt want him, someone else might.

Example: Ottawa didnt want Vegas to take Methot. Vegas asked Ottawa for a first round draft pick. Ottawa refused. Vegas took Methot anyway. Methot was not good enough for Vegas' defence, so Vegas traded him to Dallas for a 2nd. Thats what Seattle should have done about 10 more times.

We don't know if LA offered Seattle anything to not take Clague or Grundstrom. We don't know if other teams told Francis they would give them better than a 4th for either of those players. They both might be better hockey players than MacDermid but his type still hold value in this league. Non established prospects who lose their waiver exemption carry little value.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Not if they lose him for nothing trying to get him through waivers next season.
Why would they do that? They could find like 20 teams interested for him right now and they would offer way more than a 4th round pick in 2023.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would they do that? They could find like 20 teams interested for him right now and they would offer way more than a 4th round pick in 2023.

Name 20 teams that would want Clague right now and would offer a 3rd to do it?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Name 20 teams that would want Clague right now and would offer a 3rd to do it?
I will name my team the Habs. They would love a guy like Clague for a 3rd. I am pretty sure all western canadian team also.

Actually might as well list the whole NHL teams. I don't see how any team would not be interested in a young puck moving defender on a cheap contract.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I’m originally from Seattle and I wanted to like Seattle but I give them an F so far in how they’ve handled everything.

Just totally non-logical decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
We don't know if LA offered Seattle anything to not take Clague or Grundstrom. We don't know if other teams told Francis they would give them better than a 4th for either of those players. They both might be better hockey players than MacDermid but his type still hold value in this league. Non established prospects who lose their waiver exemption carry little value.
Im confident Clague returns more than a 4th if they take him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya this is clearly Joe/Bednar looking to add a guy who can really punch faces when needed.

He's gonna be a 7/8D and probably only play when we're facing rivals like Vegas/Arizona/St. Louis.

Weird trade but I think it fills a need we had, even if it's a very small need.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I will name my team the Habs. They would love a guy like Clague for a 3rd. I am pretty sure all western canadian team also.

Actually might as well list the whole NHL teams. I don't see how any team would not be interested in a young puck moving defender on a cheap contract.

Chairot, Edmundsson and Kulak is Clague an upgrade on them? Vancouver? OEL, Hughes, Schmidt, Juolevi. Edmonton Nurse, Keith and Broberg. Calgary is probably the only one who might have interest but they aren’t paying a 3rd.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Im confident Clague returns more than a 4th if they take him.

How so? Bean got a 2nd, he's not as good nor has the same pedigree. Nedeljkovic only returned a 3rd and he just had a great year. Clague hasn't proven a thing yet to get that high a return. If he was still waiver eligible where you can put him in the AHL if he doesn't make the roster then you take a chance. I'm not saying he isn't a good player it's just the way the league works.

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad