Confirmed with Link: [COL] O'Reilly, McGinn for [BUF] Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher, 31st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I knew the Sabres were going to give up a player that I didn't really want to move to get ROR, if they were to get ROR.

I'm happy that Zadorov moved and not Reinhart.

MG, JTC, and 31 don't worry me.

Now the interesting things will be how does Bylsma make the lines up and who does Murray get to fill the massive hole at LHD he has right now.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not even sure where to start.

I have to say that I have started to dislike that Murray obviously has a tendency to overpay regularly. I think it's a great trait to be able to overpay time to time, but not sure it is a good thing to do it regularly (Fasching, Kane, Lehner, RoR). I give the benefit of doubt to Murray that we had exceptionally lot assets to deal away. And all the assets we have given away have been more "extras" except Zadorov.

I think that Lehner and RoR were the best possible additions during the draft, but the price that Murray paid for these guys was extremely high considering what the common market value was for a players being sold. Hamilton and Lucic - both - went a lot cheaper than RoR, and every goalie went significanlty cheaper than Lehner (sure Lehner's contract/age was a factor here). Many teams (Chicago especially) didn't even sell their players because the market was so bad for sellers.

Murray made the trades most likely too soon.

And I'm not sure it is a good thing to catecorigally loathe Russians. I mean, Tampa is doing pretty well?

Outside of the prices that we paid, I'm happy with the players we got. Really happy. If Murray gets RoR under an extension with 7-7,5 million caphit and Lehner becomes a top-10 goalie, this was a good draft day. If RoR walks, this is a disaster and in Murray's resume rivals with the Rundblad <-> Tarasenko swap as being the worst move (he wasn't a GM, but his input there was most likely more than anyone else's).

It seems that a lot of expectations has been put on Risto. Our defense right now is really dependent on the fact that is Risto able to develop as a defenseman who can carry a top-pair with top-4 d-man. Yes, we have seen Chara, Doughty and Hedman being able to do that in a contender, but it's not common thing to do.

It seems that we either hope Risto being that kind of guy or we pray that some of our picks or McCabe spectacularly develops as being a legitimate top-pairing guy, because most likely we're not going to get that kind of player elsewhere.

Good post

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
This, like most of Murray's moves, is both bold and exciting.

Glad we got rid of Grigo, not that I thought he was a bad player just it was obvious he was never going to suit up for us and this is a solid return. Plus McGinn makes this a great deal. I actually think both teams one as well, as one of my friends is an Avs fan I hope they do well next season and look forward to following Zad still.

Great draft!

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
We have one of the best GMs in the league.

I agree. Many people I talk to are in shock because they thought the tank was permanent. Murray said give me two drafts (at the bottom!). Well, he got Reinhart and Eichel to add to Girgensons & Ristolainen and added Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Robin Lehner, and ROR.

We went from the best prospect pool to the best NHL team 24 years and younger.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Getting RoR under a contract 1 July would be absolutely awesome. If it indeed happened, I think that there have been at least some kind of prior talks with RoR. Considering that there's all the draft buzz with media, talks with coming FAs etc, it would sound pretty suspicious, if they got the contract made and signed so fast. It would also explain the pretty hefty price considering the market.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That'd be awesome. Long term and as under 8 as possible, and this was a great move. Losing Zad hurts, but adding a top-six with RORs talent for seven years speeds things up rapidly.

It all depends on the deal, bit potentially they could extend him for 8 years, so you could lock him up for 9 full years at a market price.

Like a potential Risto deal, this could look fantastic for the cap in 3 years as the big salaries load up.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I agree. Many people I talk to are in shock because they thought the tank was permanent. Murray said give me two drafts (at the bottom!). Well, he got Reinhart and Eichel to add to Girgensons & Ristolainen and added Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Robin Lehner, and ROR.

Bingo! That's the big picture here. Who cares if we overpaid, we had the assets to overpay and we got what we wanted. Do you think we would have gotten these players if we didn't overpay?

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Mostly positive comments, but some of the criticism surprises me a bit. If ROR is seeking a number, and the Sabres feel they can meet/match that number while projecting into the future (and obviously they do), this deal was a complete no-brainer.

ROR is so unbelievably valuable. Arguably elite 2-way play, PK, PP, defensive match-ups, face-offs, center or wing, leadership, intangibles, all at the ripe old age of, what, 24? The pieces given up hurt, but the return is immense. Even before he steps onto the ice, ROR has made the entire forward corps better and more malleable (perfect for guys like Eichel and Reinhart). You may not like what Murray gave up for Lehner/Legwand (I sure don't), but you can't argue that he has a plan and nothing will stand in his way when executing it. ROR is a perfect example. It's almost scary how improved the paper line-up is compared to a few days ago. VERY exciting!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

28. Sabres coach Dan Bylsma on what Ryan O’Reilly does for his lineup:

“He gives us protection. If we don’t get him, we’ve got Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart…and Zemgus Girgensons is the protection. Can he do it? He’s a good, young player. But do you want him to do it? Now, we’ve got Ryan O’Reilly, and he can be that protection for Eichel and Reinhart. We have David Legwand. You don’t have to worry.â€

The coach added he will look at both Girgensons and O’Reilly (in certain situations) on the wing for added flexibility.

29. Bylsma, asked about his research into the ex-Avalanche: “The guys who played with him at the World Championships said, of everyone we were with, he was the one who surprised us the most, on and off the ice.â€

He explained they liked his work ethic, especially in practice. Bylsma didn’t go into the off-ice stuff, but there’s an air of mystery about O’Reilly. Because he had contract squabbles with Colorado, there’s probably some expectation that he’s an edgy, difficult non-conformist. Guess not. Tyler Ennis, who played on Team Canada, was one of those surveyed.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Question is, who's playing right wing on this team? We currently have 2, gionta and ennis

Bylsma confirmed in his WGR interview what I suspected all along when dreaming of O'Reilly on the Sabres - that he could play wing for Eichel and Kane in one line combination that Bylsma has been thinking of. I think that line would be a great blend of similar styles and, as the # 1 line, could handle going up against top defenders because all 3 forwards would present a threat.

Seems like Murray could care less about Regier's guys/picks. He's cleaning house and putting his unique stamp on the team. I got faith.

Absolutely. I think Murray recognized early on which Regier guys he could build around (Risto, Girgensons) and which were obvious trade bait (Armia, Grigorenko), and he's moving fast to capture all the value these picks/prospects offer to the acquiring teams.

I love the way that's happening - it really is refreshing to see a purge of all the soft, underachieving players that Regier was infamous for acquiring. That said....

Regier was good at acquiring picks and he stocked the cupboard. Murray is using that store to reshape the roster quickly.

...some credit does have to go to Regier for acquiring so many of the assets/draft picks that gave Murray the "currency" to deal from.

When the Sabres visited Colorado back in March, I mentioned that Roy's support for Grigorenko remained strong. Now he's an Avalanche. Nice to call one correctly once in a while.

Actually, when Roy and the Avs visited Buffalo last season, the press asked him about Grigorenko's struggles and Roy didn't exactly shower him with praise. It sounded like there were issues Roy knew about and had to deal with during their time together in juniors - and Rob Ray confirmed over this past weekend on WGR that Roy told him that he had to often have meetings to pull aside Grigorenko and get him to step it up. Ray was surprised - as was I - that Colorado agreed to take Grigorenko back but I'm thrilled the headaches of his situation are in the past and another team's problem.

Another observation... the Sabres have a monstrous dose of LEADERSHIP in the room and on the ice now after O'Reilly's acquisition. The boy hates to lose and carries the team crest in his heart and on his back. He called out Roy at the end of the failed playoff run criticizing him for sticking with the same old methods that weren't working. Said that coaches need to be able to adjust and modify on the fly. (that told me he was gone no matter what Sakic's intention to extend was….)

After the Avs were eliminated from playoff contention, O'Reilly was probably the most despondant player in the locker room not wanting to take his equipment and sweater off. He was pissed, hurt and not ready to surrender.

I can't see a player on the roster now who has questionable character or potential to be an underachiever - with the Hodgson buyout underway, I think Murray will have retooled the roster into a solid unit of young guys, sprinkled with some veterans, that will not only have a great work ethic but who may really mesh well.

The only real loss I feel in this trade was Zadarov but for O'Reilly it was expected. After seeing McKees tweet on Zads being a lockerroom headache maybe it was for the best.

There were reports how some of the Sabres players were turned off by Grigorenko's sense of entitlement when he first showed up at camp in 2012 - and also of how players were annoyed with Zadorov's indiscretions last season with team discipline. I'm sure both factored into why Murray deemed them expendable.

The plan is obviously to extend him as soon as possible

Will be interesting to see what # he gets.

O'Reilly wore #9 with Erie in the OHL, but he wasn't going to get that number with the Avs (Duchene). He was just assigned #37 in training camp and stuck with that until his change of #90

Kane is #9.

We think ROR will be 90 and Eichel would be 15

reminds me of the Drury trade so much

A little - which is why, if O'Reilly didn't choose 90, he'd be just as cool wearing 37.

I still cannot believe we finally got him. After over a year of trade rumours..

I know the feeling - I'm still a little numb and in disbelief. It's natural to feel disoriented after wanting something for so long yet believing it would never materialize, only to then see it come true afterall. It was the same way I felt back in '91 when the rumors of the Sabres competing for LaFontaine were there - lots of teams were in the derby for him and it seemed Buffalo was a long shot to get him, until the shocking news made it a reality.

I knew the Sabres were going to give up a player that I didn't really want to move to get ROR, if they were to get ROR.

I'm happy that Zadorov moved and not Reinhart.

MG, JTC, and 31 don't worry me.

I had the same fear - I didn't want to see Pysyk, Reinhart, Baptiste or McCabe go. When the final deal was announced, I was ecstatic because I wasn't crazy about any of the assets the Sabres had to give up.

Now the interesting things will be how does Bylsma make the lines up and who does Murray get to fill the massive hole at LHD he has right now.

I think Bylsma shed a lot of light in his WGR interview this morning when he downplayed any concern for landing a LHD vs. RHD. He said he doesn't place a lot of emphasis on having 3 pairs of LHD-RHD and spoke about how Martin, who is a LHD, played better as a RHD during his time in Pittsburgh. Sounded like he may experiment with both Pysyk and Ristolainen playing the left side in camp.

This, like most of Murray's moves, is both bold and exciting.

We have one of the best GMs in the league.

That's becoming pretty apparent - and what I also find so refreshing and invigorating after 16 years of stale, boring ambiguity with Regier, is how blunt and direct Murray is and how strong his conviction, self-confidence and game plan is. He's laid out from the start and all of his actions consistently follow what he's said he wants to do.

Nice feeling, isn't it? ;)

ROR on Buffalo radio said he and his agent expect to get something done soon!

Wouldn't surprise me if he signed July 1st.

I almost expect it to be announced with a PC this Wednesday - we all know by now that Murray isn't one to dawdle or drag things out. I'm sure he wants it out of the way so he can concentrate on other things this summer.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Jumping into this way late so if I'm copying anyone else's thoughts, my apologies in advance.

Happy with the trade overall and when combined with the Ottawa move I have no reason for criticism outside of some nitpicking.

For me, a non-insignificant benefit to this trade is that it removes any pressure on Sam Reinhart. In a way he's almost off the radar and can come along at his own pace for them.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
My last two long-term avatars were Armia and Compher.

514QJBXYF6L.jpg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Getting RoR under a contract 1 July would be absolutely awesome. If it indeed happened, I think that there have been at least some kind of prior talks with RoR. Considering that there's all the draft buzz with media, talks with coming FAs etc, it would sound pretty suspicious, if they got the contract made and signed so fast. It would also explain the pretty hefty price considering the market.

Murray said after the trade he went over and introduced himself to ROR agents.

Sounds to me Murray put his brass balls on the table.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Murray said after the trade he went over and introduced himself to ROR agents.

Sounds to me Murray put his brass balls on the table.

As he is friends with Craig Oster (Kane's agent and fellow Newport employee), I wouldn't be surprised if Murray dropped enough innocent hints about how he wanted O'Reilly along the way to Oster about ROR with the idea it would eventually reach Oster's partner, Pat Morris (O'Reilly's agent). :naughty:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Good transcript of his WGR interview:

With the Buffalo Sabres, center Ryan O’Reilly has the opportunity to step up and be a top dog while serving as a mentor to the younger forwards coming up through the system.

In addition to his expanded on-ice role, O’Reilly sees stepping up as a leader – particularly off the ice – and being a more vocal guy is a challenge he’s ready to face head-on.

“I can’t wait to have that responsibility and role,†O’Reilly told Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters on Sabres Hockey Hotline on Monday. “It’s something I’ve always wanted.â€

After two last-place finishes, O’Reilly doesn’t think the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2016 are out of the realm of possibility.

“With the additions that we’ve made over the last couple days, we’re right in the mix of that. For us, we have to start preparing for that and getting ready to take that responsibility on,†he said. “It’s never going to be easy but this is the group, I think that we can turn around and get back in the winning books.â€

“You never know when you’re coming into a new team what it’s going to be like, but all the feedback has just been phenomenal,†he said. “It’s definitely nice to hear. You can relax and not worry about that.â€

O’Reilly is looking forward to playing for Bylsma as well.

“My brother played for him and I know many guys who have played for him and said he’s a fantastic coach. I’m going to love him,†O’Reilly said.

Coming over in the deal as well was McGinn. O’Reilly called him one of his closest friends on the Avalanche and is happy they’ll be able to join a new team together.

“He’s a great player, a real power forward,†O’Reilly said. “He finishes his checks. He goes to the hard areas and he’s got natural goal-scoring ability. He’s a guy that gets in front of the net and will out-muscle guys and put it in.â€

And as for a jersey number, O’Reilly told Sylvester and Peters that he’ll stick with No. 90, the last number he wore in Colorado.

“It’s kind of a ck number,†he said. “Makes me look a little bigger out there so I like that too.â€

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772901&navid=DL|BUF|home

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm 100% confident he is signing & signing for 7 to 8 years.

I'm slightly worried about the $/per but anything is better than him not signing I suppose.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm 100% confident he is signing & signing for 7 to 8 years.

I'm slightly worried about the $/per but anything is better than him not signing I suppose.

I winced the first time I saw "asking for 8 x 8" but really $7m is about fair value for him. It's $1m more than Jordan Staal got 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad