Confirmed with Link: [COL] O'Reilly, McGinn for [BUF] Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher, 31st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Depends who Grigs gets to play with

If Roy is serious about how much he likes him and he gets top 6 minutes with Colorado's offensive talent, 50 points isn't impossible

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Depends who Grigs gets to play with

If Roy is serious about how much he likes him and he gets top 6 minutes with Colorado's offensive talent, 50 points isn't impossible

Agreed. Though I do think it's not likely at all. But I agree with the sentiment. I've long believed that Grigorenko's ultimate value isn't going to be as a 3rd line mismatch center. It's going to be as a wingman playing shotgun to a really good center. When he's surrounded by elite talent feeding him juicy shots from the circle he'll pot 30 goals. When he's not, he'll look like a bum.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think Grigorenko will play in 65 games and get 9 goals along with 11 assists

This is spot-on what I expect to happen, before he bolts for the KHL next year. He'll start on the 2nd line and quickly find himself centering the 4th.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just don't see where Grigs can fit there. He wasn't even good enough for our top 9 how can he fit in on theirs ? He really needs one more year in the AHL but that isn't possible. Would be funny if he had a bad pre season and the Avs tried sending him down and we claimed him :laugh:

The team is expected to break camp with:
Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon -----> (Toughest minutes line)
Comeau - Grigorenko - *** ----> (Heavy O-zone starts for this line)
McCleod - Mitchell - Winchester

*** Everberg / Rantanen / Rendulic in a training camp battle for the 3RW spot, with the other two going down to the AHL until injuries open a job or they force their way back up.

Grigorenko will also see regular PP PT. Roy has already announced him as our 3C and also singled out Grigorenko, Soderberg and Zadorov as guys who will help our PP. As the season progresses Greg will get the chance to take Soderberg or Tanguay's spots in the top 6 if he does well. Ultimately he should end up as Duchene's LW if he's a success; unless MacKinnon stays a winger for his whole career and Greg can take over that C spot from Soderberg.

If all goes well the 2016-2017 avs will be rolling into the second half of the season with something along the lines of:
Top 9:
Grigorenko - Duchene - Radulov
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tanguay* - Soderberg - Iginla
or
Tanguay* - Duchene - Radulov
Landeskog - Soderberg - MacK
Rantanen - Grigorenko - Iginla

4th Line + Call ups:
Comeau - Mitchell - Everberg
( McCleod/Martinsen - Henley/Bleackley/Compher - Rendulic )

*If Tanguay takes a cheap 1 year deal to stick around for his bff Iginla's final season. If not Everberg or Comeau moves up to the third line with Rendulic/Bleackley/Compher/Henley all fighting for the 4RW spot.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Depends on how he's used. 90% of his time in a Sabres uniform was used playing bottom line minutes. He'll suck at that, but is talented enough to be a good NHL player if used in a secondary scoring role.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Depends on how he's used. 90% of his time in a Sabres uniform was used playing bottom line minutes. He'll suck at that, but is talented enough to be a good NHL player if used in a secondary scoring role.

Didn't you just take the other side of this argument in the other thread? lol

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty much sums up the Grigorenko situation:

In 2012, any trade between the Buffalo Sabres and Colorado Avalanche that involved Ryan O’Reilly could have centered on Mikahil Grigorenko. In 2015, the 21-year-old Russian winger was more of a throw in.

The Avalanche announced Thursday they have re-signed Grigorenko to a one-year, one-way contract worth $675,000. He won’t be able to go back to the AHL without clearing waivers, but, at this point, it might be hard to find a team who would take a shot on Grigorenko, the 2012 12th overall selection.

As a restricted free agent this off-season, the Avalanche extended Grigorenko a qualifying offer, but the one-year, one-way deal means the intention is to play him full-time in the NHL and give him the opportunity to sink or swim.

If this season happens to go south on him once again, there’s little doubt the Avalanche will cut bait and send him to the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage where he can play out the season heading toward another year of restricted free agency. As such, this could be Grigorenko’s last, real shot at making his mark in the NHL. Because after four seasons of trying and failing, he might not have luck finding another club that takes a shot.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/grigorenkos-one-year-deal-with-avalanche-could-be-his-last-chance/

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So his NHL career could be over at 22 years old because no other team will take a chance on him? Not exactly buying that.

YeaH no. He will get an opportunity in Colorado. I expect him to thrive.

We act as though it was years of ineptitude here; reality is, it was... A few games. As a teenager.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I hope Grigs does well. With a different way of handling things, all the people that talk **** about him would rave about his juicy stats in juniors or his first year in Rochester. But I guess if you're not cutting it at you first try, you're a bust. lol

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm going to go with 15 goals and 25 assists, in a decent year for Grigs

So Grigs putting up nearly 3x his career point total he has scored in the first 68 games of his career will be a "decent" season? That would be a miracle/incredible season for him. If he does put that up that would make the trade even harder to stomach. If he puts up 25 points that would be a success for him. Almost no chance he puts up 40.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Drew Stafford 2.0 great job murray.
O'Really?
Hey guys, Avs fan coming in peach. Just wanted to paste my post I made in the main board. I'm devestated that ROR is gone!

ROR will get exposure in the east and people will finally stop calling him overrated. He's a monster. Buffalo won this trade, people just don't know it yet. As an Avs fan i'll gladly take the return for a guy who wasn't going to sign with us but if I had to choose between this return or having O'Reilly signed long term I take ROR 11 times out of 10.

Best of luck to him in Buffalo. Sabres fans, enjoy your next captain.

Congrats guys. I'm so sad right now even though I realize we got a great return. ROR is just so awesome to watch :cry:

At least I can still root for him with you guys, and you all will fall in love with him to really soon.

O'Reilly will be a fan favourite for you. Congrats, you definitely got the best player in the deal.

No doubt in my mind that ROR will resign and will be your next captain for a long, long time. Sabres are a perfect fit for him.

He's a born leader and regardless of his previous contract situation, ROR is loved by his coaches and teammates (think Patrice Bergeron). You'll have the privilege to watch him night after night and you'll quickly understand why AVS fans were so high on him.

Awesome trade for you guys.
These Avs fans were totally right. Fan favorite immediately. He's a very bright light on this team. We finally got back our Drury-type player that we've been longing for for the past 8 years

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
O'Really?

These Avs fans were totally right. Fan favorite immediately. He's a very bright light on this team. We finally got back our Drury-type player that we've been longing for for the past 8 years

Strange timing for this bump given ROR just played arguably his worst game of the season, but yeah, he's been otherwise fantastic.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Better to ignore people that have nooo idea what hockey is about or how it's played.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I honestly don't see what the point was in bumping the trade thread to single out one post made months ago .. I also think ROR's won over the overwhelming majority of his skeptics since then, so this is a moot point to raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad