GDT: COL @ NSH *To Catch a Predator* 8pm ET / 6pm MT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Should we pay 12.5M for Mack if he continues to play like this?
Doesn’t really matter honestly. Either this team wins with Mack and this core or they don’t. If they lose Mack then they lose basically the most important part of the team and they 100% aren’t winning.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
They actually voted if to play?

Imagine there might have been 40% of guys that voted no, and off to the races still they go.

Doesn't surprise me at all there was no chemistry on the ice with that roster and with that context.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly there wasn’t really a “vote.” Rantanen flat out said there wasn’t. Bednar was told that the team was given the option and he just walked into the room and asked them what they wanted to do. Like anyone in there was gonna say “Naw Coach, I don’t wanna play.”

Someone above them needed to step in and tell the league to postpone.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The next stupid thing is to let the "players" decide.... Yeah, sitting in the lockerroom, waiting for the game and then the coach asks "hey guys, wanna play?"...

"No coach, we are allready in gear, but, no. f*** it. Get out of here and home". We come back another day....

The players wanted to get over with it. And half of the squad allready packed in before puck drop. They just wanted out and home fast as possible.

I´m not mad at any of our players. We lost this gong-show, yeah, whatever.

Again, f*** this league for this travesty-show. It´s not only us or Nashville, btw... Stop the season until January. This mess will get worse....

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Yeah, someone should have canceled it.

Waiting for more names to drop for the protocol list now.

Just watched the replay of the game... Oof!! Not much to say there but glad Francous looks fine. We could def go with him as the starter, but I doubt we're even playing the Tampa game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I have no idea how anyone can blame Frank, he played great in his first game back. Saros won the goaltender battle, but none of the goals Francouz let in were weak. Besides that, the only other things I took away from this game is that Mack still is trying to find his game

This happened to Johnny Gaudreau for damn near two seasons. Mackinnon just needs to go on a shooting bender. Get back to that 10 shots a night Mackinnon. That will get him out of this goal scoring slump. He had goals in back to back and I thought that maybe hes figured it out again then he runs into Bobrovsky who stones him 2-3 times in that game and now it looks like hes lost confidence in his shot again. That weird spin move back hand thing that never works seems to be his go to now when really a good wrist shot might be all thats needed. He did it tonight when really he didnt need to since he was in a great spot to shoot.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Missed the game. Sounds like I didn't miss much. I don't think the NHL wants to lose gate revenue and will keep the games going. I imagine the owners want the games to keep going as long as there are butts in seats.

There should be a pause and back to a bubble. Next 2 months is going to be hard.

Reactions: Alienblood

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think we all tend to get wound too tight after a loss but jeez. Byram has played 2 games in the last month and if healthy was on pace of about 25 goals. Makar is out and the entire league was thinking he get 30 or more goals. Toews is on really nice projected pace and he hasn't been in the line up for near half the season. This is just the top 3 defense. Once the team and the league gets healthy this team looks almost unbeatable. Like not even fair unbeatable. So get your chins off the floor and wait for whats coming.

thanks for the pep talk Ian

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Honestly there wasn’t really a “vote.” Rantanen flat out said there wasn’t. Bednar was told that the team was given the option and he just walked into the room and asked them what they wanted to do. Like anyone in there was gonna say “Naw Coach, I don’t wanna play.”

Someone above them needed to step in and tell the league to postpone.
The moment we didn't have 2 goalies Sakic should have stepped in and ask for postponing.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Also WTF is with this board and MacKinnon lately. There are 3 centres in the NHL averaging more points per game than him. Draisaitl, Kadri, and McDavid. What is the expectation here? He is playing at 115 point pace.

It’s also like a bunch of old hens in here, repeating the same gossip they have drummed up about him being a bad teammate. This board is like a teen drama TV show. This season is about diagnosing Byram’s depression, firing the winningest coach in club history because he has lost the room, and trading the 2nd best Center in the world because he is a bad teammate.

Maybe MacKinnon is human, and having Covid, then a leg injury, then being KO’d by Trouba hasn’t allowed him to find his groove.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Also WTF is with this board and MacKinnon lately. There are 3 centres in the NHL averaging more points per game than him. Draisaitl, Kadri, and McDavid. What is the expectation here? He is playing at 115 point pace.

It’s also like a bunch of old hens in here, repeating the same gossip they have drummed up about him being a bad teammate. This board is like a teen drama TV show. This season is about diagnosing Byram’s depression, firing the winningest coach in club history because he has lost the room, and trading the 2nd best Center in the world because he is a bad teammate.

Maybe MacKinnon is human, and having Covid, then a leg injury, then being KO’d by Trouba hasn’t allowed him to find his groove.

I beg your pardon, I am not an old hen.

I'm an old cock.
ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

Stupidity and thinly veiled trolls

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
There should be a pause and back to a bubble. Next 2 months is going to be hard.

Yeah, I'm not against a pause. Just speculating as to why there's no pause. I want the playoffs to be full tilt. Do whatever it takes to keep these guys safe.

I wonder how much consideration has happened as far as these players and boosters? I'm getting mine since I had my 2nd dose at the end of April. My daughter had the antibody test before she left for PA school in May and had a lot and then the school made the students test again a few weeks ago and she had none. You still have the mRNA, so you would likely not get it as bad, but the school forces their students.
She was sick for days after the booster, but I chalk that up to stress and lack of rest. I work from home and have been on night shift since the beginning of November, so I don't get out much. I've been back and forth on getting the booster, but I have it scheduled for 2 hours from now.

The players are much more likely to get exposed than I am and they got vaccinated about the same time. I'd think it would be a consideration.

I don't want this to devolve into a political or ideological debate. I'm just curious as to how this is managed going forward.

I wish you all good health.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
They actually voted if to play?

Imagine there might have been 40% of guys that voted no, and off to the races still they go.

Doesn't surprise me at all there was no chemistry on the ice with that roster and with that context.
They are hockey players. NO body is going to say no. I understand a vote a day before the game makes sence, but a vote minutes before the game is a no brainer. LET ZA BOYZ PLAY

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Seriously, people need to get a grip on reality a bit with 29. The expectations are way too high. He sits 6th in the NHL in points per game, not sure what else he is supposed to do.

Yes we all would love his goal totals to go up, and they will, he won't shoot 4% all season.

And you hit it on the head maybe, just maybe the guy is human, and missing the start of the season, missing 3+ weeks with injury, getting crushed by Trouba, having revolving door lineup, has had an effect on his play and not finding his groove. Maybe like all of us if something isn't going well, like his shooting, he loses confidence. Weird.

I'd much prefer him to be feeling it out now in December, than crushing now and having a cold steak in April.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is it crazy that I think they should let asymptomatic players play at this point? It’s insane to me how Makar and Kuemper were sitting in the locker room with everyone but were pulled out of the game, they were literally around the whole team all day already. Not to mention how many players that tested negative actually have Covid and are contagious and they let them play.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

I’m all for ripping the league but it appears we decided to go forward with the game. Respect the boys for wanting to play/compete but that was a silly decision.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I can't for the life of me understand why EJ has gotten so much praise. He was once again one of the worst Avs last night on a night were they needed him to be better...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Is it crazy that I think they should let asymptomatic players play at this point? It’s insane to me how Makar and Kuemper were sitting in the locker room with everyone but were pulled out of the game, they were literally around the whole team all day already. Not to mention how many players that tested negative actually have Covid and are contagious and they let them play.
I don't want to start some political war in here, because I know there are people with opposing viewpoints, but I agree 100% with you.

At this point the league is 100% vaxed. Covid should be treated like every other virus at this point, if you're sick stay home until symptoms are gone. No symptoms you can play, if you feel up to it. Stop this incessant testing. It's not helping, or changing the outcome of anything. You are either going to get it or your not.

How incredibly stupid is it to have players sitting in a lockerroom ready to play an hour before the game hanging teammates only to have the NHL yank them last second due to a potential false positive. Even if it's positive they've already interacted with teammates pulling them now isn't going to change any outcome since they've already been potentially spreading.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
First let me say that it is OK to criticize your star players. They need to be made accountable like any other players on the team. I do not want Mack traded. This team needs him to win a SC.

Obviously point-wise Mack is doing very good. He is having problem scoring goals but he is still helping the team offensively and defensively he is not doing bad as well.

My problem with Mack is not his production and his lack of scoring goals. Like others have said it is better now than in the playoffs. My problem with him is that he is still not learning from his mistakes, he continuously tries plays that do not work, he continuously tries to go through 2-4 defenders, he continuously tries to force passes, etc. At some point you want your players to learn from their mistakes. You can't be mad at your teammates for making bad passes when you continuously make bad ones yourself. everywhere fans want players off their team because they keep doing the same mistakes. Star players get more leeway because they produce more but at one point you want to see improvement in those areas the player is having problem with.

It is also about him killing the momentum the team is building during crucial time within a game. Very often the PP is finally settled in the offensive zone and buzzing and BAM he tries to force a pass or a play where he loses the puck and a defender clears the zone making us lose 20-30 seconds of precious PP time. Same goes sometimes 5v5. Momentum is very important in sport.

What I want from Mack is for him to figure this out now instead of when he starts losing his speed because if he doesn't that next contract could look really bad real fast. Again I don't want him traded. I just want him to learn from his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad