Confirmed Trade: [COL/MTL] Artturi Lehkonen for Justin Barron, 2024 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Wouldn't he be more likely to play in the top 6 on a non-"stacked team"?
No because he's the complimentary piece on whatever line he plays. Top 6 don't usually include 6 top 6 players. Someone has to dig out the pucks and do the dirty work.

Lehk doesn't produce when he's by himself on a line.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Lehk doesn't produce when he's by himself on a line.
Well, who does? There isnt 100 McDavids around... I`m pretty sure Suzuki-Caufield line would have been a fit, if Lehkonen would have given time with them enough to gel. Montreal didnt see his upside - Sakic did

Reactions: mattihp

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well, who does? There isnt 100 McDavids around... I`m pretty sure Suzuki-Caufield line would have been a fit, if Lehkonen would have given time with them enough to gel. Montreal didnt see his upside - Sakic did
That’s not the case at all. We’ve been overpaying role players for years. We’re expected to be a basement-bubble team for several more years in Montreal. It made no sense to give Lehkonen a big pay day on our end, especially when we could cash in. Of course he’s going to look good on a powerhouse. It’s a perfect fit. Wasn’t going to be the case in Montreal where he had nobody that would allow him to just focus on what makes him successful.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
That’s not the case at all. We’ve been overpaying role players for years. We’re expected to be a basement-bubble team for several more years in Montreal. It made no sense to give Lehkonen a big pay day on our end, especially when we could cash in. Of course he’s going to look good on a powerhouse. It’s a perfect fit. Wasn’t going to be the case in Montreal where he had nobody that would allow him to just focus on what makes him successful.

I thought he looked good on the Habs too. I think he would be a perfect fit in the Habs top 6.

With that being said, I really like what your GM is doing, so I am going to wait and see how Barron + 2nd work out.

Reactions: mattihp and HabsQC

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He was having a breakout year in Montreal last year too, the problem is they couldn't afford him salary wise either. Wish the pick was better but it is what it is...

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Even with average production, habs fan loved Lekhy because he is just a net positive everytime he is on the ice.

Barron disappointed during the camp but at 20 yo there is no reason to write him off.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Even with average production, habs fan loved Lekhy because he is just a net positive everytime he is on the ice.

Barron disappointed during the camp but at 20 yo there is no reason to write him off.
I agree Barron still has upside. Lehkonen was kind of unlucky he joined Habs when their cap-structure was a mess. He also wasnt given a chance to succeed there. One can argue that Lehkonen was the last piece needed for the Avs to go over the top.

Reactions: mattihp and Chose

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Let's not start a false narrative there. The reason his price was a very good RHD prospect + 2nd (and that multiple teams tried to get him in the last 2 or 3 years) is exactly because Mtl (and probably a lot of other teams) knew he was very good.

Hughes also traded him mostly because of the logjam of contracts Bergevin gave to forwards. If Gallagher-Anderson didn't have those long term contracts and Hoffman-Byron-Drouin had 1 less year on their contracts, there's a good chance Lehkonen is still with the Habs.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I agree Barron still has upside. Lehkonen was kind of unlucky he joined Habs when their cap-structure was a mess. He also wasnt given a chance to succeed there. One can argue that Lehkonen was the last piece needed for the Avs to go over the top.
I don't agree, Lekhonen was given plenty chances to succeed in Montreal. He played all the playoffs in 2021 on the 1st line but just had a hard time completing the many scoring chances he and his line was generating during his time in MTL.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d argue it was Byram. But it takes a village.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This. I`m mindblown that he wasnt tried with Suzuki+Caufield. A 200ft player, who gives 110% every shift would probably be a fit there? They just didnt give Lehky a chance to succeed in the Top6.
He was tried with them for a bit and it was very unsuccessful. You could argue that they should have given him a longer look but to say that he wasn't tried with them is a blatant lie. Anderson was significantly more successful with CC+Suzuki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad