GDT: COL @ LA *Cinema Edition* 9:30pm ET / 7:30pm MT

Best Tarantino Movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Team looked like they played the night before. Might be the worse game I seen the top line play in a long time and yet Both Mackinnon and Mikko managed points. Its quite amazing that the Avs can look the way they did last night and still beat a team by 3 goals. Truly remarkable.

Oh yah and Quinton Byfield is going to be a stud. You can see where the Malkin comparisons come from. Big, Smooth, Skilled. LA and the NHL should be marketing the hell out of him.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
@chet1926

tumblr_nuw7ii5y2F1smsmqro1_500.gifv

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One other minor gripe is he has to glove that Doughty shot on the PK. Lead to a rebound and the only Kings goal. I wasn't as upset seeing it was Kopitar who scored but you just have to glove that. So many times this season Avs goalie fail to glove a shot and it leads to all kinds of problems that wouldn't be problems if they just catch the puck. Beyond that Kuemper was lights out.

Well, that's once again bad rebound control, and you're just not going to get a quick fix on that from either of these goalies--they're both horrible at it, whether it's glove side or blocker.

Where his rebound control was making me cringe was when he let routine shots handcuff him. Then they'd fall about three feet in front of him and he'd be scrambling like mad out of position to flail at the loose puck, thankfully I didn't see that last night.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well, that's once again bad rebound control, and you're just not going to get a quick fix on that from either of these goalies--they're both horrible at it, whether it's glove side or blocker.

Where his rebound control was making me cringe was when he let routine shots handcuff him. Then they'd fall about three feet in front of him and he'd be scrambling like mad out of position to flail at the loose puck, thankfully I didn't see that last night.
One thing Grubauer was good at was swallowing shots. Shots either hit him and stick to him or fly by his glove and in. No in-between.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing Grubauer was good at was swallowing shots. Shots either hit him and stick to him or fly by his glove and in. No in-between.

I don't know which Grubauer you were watching but his rebound control is horrendous too and it was in Colorado as well. Avs may have been prepared better for where he would put the rebound, but they still pinged off him all the damned time.

Both Kuemper and Grubauer are very similar goalies, almost to a T. They both rely on quick reflexes and athleticism to make saves rather than vision and anticipation, and the poor rebound control is a symptom of the fact that neither can track the puck at all to save their lives, especially through traffic.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't know which Grubauer you were watching but his rebound control is horrendous too and it was in Colorado as well. Avs may have been prepared better for where he would put the rebound, but they still pinged off him all the damned time.

Both Kuemper and Grubauer are very similar goalies, almost to a T. They both rely on quick reflexes and athleticism to make saves rather than vision and anticipation, and the poor rebound control is a symptom of the fact that neither can track the puck at all to save their lives, especially through traffic.
I didn't think Grubauers rebound control was horrendous at all. Probably the only thing I liked about him. Its much better then Kuempers and Francouz imo.

Reactions: Go19

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn't think Grubauers rebound control was horrendous at all. Probably the only thing I liked about him. Its much better then Kuempers and Francouz imo.

It's not good, I promise you. Not on the level of Kuemper or Frankie, but it's not good. You should check out some of his highlights in Seattle.

A not-star goalie who has great rebound control IMO is Jack Campbell. I don't want to venture too far into goalie analysis though, anything outside of "Ramen microwave recipes" is not my area of expertise.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I will say that for the most part I think Sammy played fine, but this is the third game in a row by my count that he got beat wide by an opposing skater, the latest being Quinton Byfield. It almost happened again later in the game but that time he finally reached in and separated the guy from the puck.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This excuse is they were tired, is kind of lame. Every team in the league is on a condensed schedule. Everyone in the league is tired and will become more tired as the season progresses. Due to scheduling. So being "tired" doesn't really mean much.
Back to backs on the road have always been fraught.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Visitor coming in peace, just wanted to add some color.

I don't know who this person is but that a really odd take. Kings probably win that game 9 times out of 10. They flat out dominated us. They were just unlucky that Darcy played his best game as an Avalanche last night.

He is probably right in the sense of, in a 7 game series they aren't ready to play with the best teams but that doesn't mean they can't compete with top end teams on a night to night basis.

At the end of the day we are year 5 to 6 of a rebuild and have now established ourselves as one of the best in the league took 5 years to get to that point. It's going to take time for LA. I mean they are 1 year removed from being one of the worst teams in the league, and the #2 pick and another top 8 pick last season. Based on what I saw last night LA is trending the right way.

FWIW, that's the kind of game the Kings have been playing since November-ish--they played like that and flat-out dominated Pittsburgh in a win, and played like that and got crushed by TBL. True contenders don't need much to make you pay and while the Kings have kind of set it up on a tee with some bad mistakes the true contenders have been pretty regularly kicking their teeth in no matter what the shot counter and possession time clock says. That being said--they've been competitive and IN every game because of that, driving play forwards, which is a huge step forward.

In other words, I DONT think the Kings win that game 9 out of 10, because Colorado can win in a number of ways, while the Kings aren't talented enough quite yet to win without their A+ game, is all that guy was saying. Just not quite enough pop yet. Trevor Moore barreling down on your goalie isn't quite as scary as Kadri. MacK only needs one shot to score, Dustin Brown would still be at the rink right now if we had to wait for him to do so. Hopefully as the kids grow that will change, Byfield is alreaedy on the verge of being a difference maker, Turcotte and Vilardi and co. appear to need juuuust a little more. Maybe as soon as next year we'll be a little more scary with those shots. Especially as Kopitar has been played right into his grave getting #1 dman minutes at his age.

Believe me though I appreciate the take, it gives us some hope that we're at least being a speedbump instead of invisible roadkill :laugh:

Love watching your team and as long as we aren't head-to-head I'll be rooting for em.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Visitor coming in peace, just wanted to add some color.

FWIW, that's the kind of game the Kings have been playing since November-ish--they played like that and flat-out dominated Pittsburgh in a win, and played like that and got crushed by TBL. True contenders don't need much to make you pay and while the Kings have kind of set it up on a tee with some bad mistakes the true contenders have been pretty regularly kicking their teeth in no matter what the shot counter and possession time clock says. That being said--they've been competitive and IN every game because of that, driving play forwards, which is a huge step forward.

In other words, I DONT think the Kings win that game 9 out of 10, because Colorado can win in a number of ways, while the Kings aren't talented enough quite yet to win without their A+ game, is all that guy was saying. Just not quite enough pop yet. Trevor Moore barreling down on your goalie isn't quite as scary as Kadri. MacK only needs one shot to score, Dustin Brown would still be at the rink right now if we had to wait for him to do so. Hopefully as the kids grow that will change, Byfield is alreaedy on the verge of being a difference maker, Turcotte and Vilardi and co. appear to need juuuust a little more. Maybe as soon as next year we'll be a little more scary with those shots. Especially as Kopitar has been played right into his grave getting #1 dman minutes at his age.

Believe me though I appreciate the take, it gives us some hope that we're at least being a speedbump instead of invisible roadkill :laugh:

Love watching your team and as long as we aren't head-to-head I'll be rooting for em.

Thank you for the insight.

I don't really mind the Kings FWIW outside of Brown. Hate that guy. :laugh:

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Team looked like they played the night before. Might be the worse game I seen the top line play in a long time and yet Both Mackinnon and Mikko managed points. Its quite amazing that the Avs can look the way they did last night and still beat a team by 3 goals. Truly remarkable.

Oh yah and Quinton Byfield is going to be a stud. You can see where the Malkin comparisons come from. Big, Smooth, Skilled. LA and the NHL should be marketing the hell out of him.

They are, he earned 3rd star for participating in his 1st NHL game this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad