PTO: [COL] F Joel Kiviranta signs PTO with the Avalanche (released)

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Makes sense. Would be better on the fourth line than a dude like Olofsson.

Still think the Avs should go after Tatar though.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Kinda surprised he didn't just get a contract somewhere. Also, figured Colorado would take a chance on him since they love our leftovers ever since Nichushkin worked out (helps that Kiviranta had the bubble performance against them too). I suppose Cogliano worked out too :laugh:

Man, Tufte, Olofsson, Cogliano, Nichushkin, now potentially Kiviranta all to Colorado.

Reactions: HabsQC

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly he was one of those guys I was hoping the Avs would flat out sign to a 1 year deal for $1M or less. He's a decent player.

Shouldn't have much problem beating out a few guys in our depth chart for a bottom 6 role.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kinda surprised he didn't just get a contract somewhere. Also, figured Colorado would take a chance on him since they love our leftovers ever since Nichushkin worked out (helps that Kiviranta had the bubble performance against them too). I suppose Cogliano worked out too :laugh:

Man, Tufte, Olofsson, Cogliano, Nichushkin, now potentially Kiviranta all to Colorado.
Next up will be Pavelski when he’s 45 years old and no longer has a contract with Dallas or anyone else, he’ll be on PTO with the Avs

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm not suprised there's so little interest in him. His offensive numbers in the regular season are abysmal for a winger. For some reason whenever the playoffs start though he turns into a completely different and much better player

THere was one season he looked like he would produce good offensive numbers but then he only played like 1/3 of the season and was injured the rest. That 11 points in 26 games is still his career high he never mamaged to repeat despite playing way more afterwards.

Stars didn't want to play another year with a 4th line thats a complete non-threat on offense. Like they don't have to do a whole lot but Kivi and Glendening put up 9 and 6 points in 70 games each. I don't even know how Faksa mamanged to get to 20 points playing with those two for most of the year.

DeBoer wants even his 4th line be a at least somewhat competent offensively and with bringing Kivi back that wasn't going to be the case.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well. He’s better than Bednars last lap dog Matt Nieto.

If he can skate well, he’s a reliable vet and he has stone hands with zero Ozone hockey IQ…Bednar will adore him and definitely overplay him at the expense of younger player development.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Black hole offensively last year is an understatement. Fine defensively. Avs need all the cheap depth they can get. Would be surprising if he can’t make the team as a 4th liner.

If he doesn’t - his prospects of much of an NHL career moving forward won’t be good.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
You would think there would be more interest in a player who can PK, solid defensively and is hard to play against and not a bad skater.

I get that he generates basically no offense but he isn’t in the league for his offense, has never been a offensive player in any league or level.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

You're our involuntary pro farm club because we can't develop our own prospects but somehow we can develop yours hehehe :naughty:

Cogliano doesn't really count though hehe

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Maybe they make him block shots endlessly as punishment for screwing over the growth path of the franchise and then make him the last cut.

Really don't see an NHL role for him.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I've always felt he had decent skill but he's been buried with shitty linemates his entire time in Dallas. I thought he could be a 15 goal guy if he played with better players but maybe not.

Anyway, solid skater and plays hard.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I've always felt he had decent skill but he's been buried with shitty linemates his entire time in Dallas. I thought he could be a 15 goal guy if he played with better players but maybe not.

Anyway, solid skater and plays hard.
Plays hard, pays attention to his own end and has the shooting skills of a 5 year old. Sounds like last year's Avs bottom six wingers.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

That’s the only way stars players will ever sniff a cup, come to co :)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Didn't even know Tufte was gone, but alright lol

He's the random Dallas Stars player who got the Game 7 hattrick against the Avs right?
Yes. Subbed in for supposed Ironman Cogliano, and just so happened to play the game of his life to win the series for Dallas.

Maybe they make him block shots endlessly as punishment for screwing over the growth path of the franchise and then make him the last cut.

Really don't see an NHL role for him.
.....what? :biglaugh:

If anything, Kivi helped the Avs, they clearly learned a lot from the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad