Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche sign Cal Burke (1 year, $861.94k)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Seems like this is the Avs rewarding an AHL guy for playing well, and giving him the opportunity to possibly be an injury callup at some point later in the season.

Reactions: uncleben

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Out of curiosity, and I know both AHL and NHL teams are in Colorado.

would a player signed to a NHL deal who plays in a different province/state or league for this matter pay taxes wherever they predominantly play, or in the state their NHL club is set?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Out of curiosity, and I know both AHL and NHL teams are in Colorado.

would a player signed to a NHL deal who plays in a different province/state or league for this matter pay taxes wherever they predominantly play, or in the state their NHL club is set?

It should be based on where the player resides when earning the money. So, if you're on a contract to the Capitals, but playing/living in Hershey, PA you'd pay Pennsylvania taxes, not DC taxes.

But, there's also other things at play, like earning money in a state where you don't reside being subject to taxes in that state. I'm not 100% sure if the NHL contracted AHL players earn 1/68th of their salary per game, or how exactly it breaks down, but I'd think that at least some of their salary is subject to taxes in other states due to away games.

Reactions: McDrailers

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
It should be based on where the player resides when earning the money. So, if you're on a contract to the Capitals, but playing/living in Hershey, PA you'd pay Pennsylvania taxes, not DC taxes.

But, there's also other things at play, like earning money in a state where you don't reside being subject to taxes in that state. I'm not 100% sure if the NHL contracted AHL players earn 1/68th of their salary per game, or how exactly it breaks down, but I'd think that at least some of their salary is subject to taxes in other states due to away games.

interesting. Thanks friend!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad