Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Calvin Pickard (2 years, $1.025M AAV)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
solid deal for sure i thought he'd be in 2.25 per range

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
That's a lot of money for a RFA backup. He'll get paid his next contract if he can wrangle the #1 spot from Varlamov.

He won't have to wrangle it away if Vegas picks Varly. Only one of them is getting protected, and unless Pickard is absolutely terrible, I go with the 1 million dollar option instead of Varly. Maybe LV doesn't pick him, but who knows.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
He won't have to wrangle it away if Vegas picks Varly. Only one of them is getting protected, and unless Pickard is absolutely terrible, I go with the 1 million dollar option instead of Varly. Maybe LV doesn't pick him, but who knows.

You seem to think they're the same quality of goaltender with the difference being dollar. They're not. Varly is the better, and far, far more proven goaltender than Picks. It's not so obvious a decision as you're making it sound and I would be very surprised if Sakic decided to trade/unprotect his proven number 1 for a guy that's never been a full time NHL starter.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
You seem to think they're the same quality of goaltender with the difference being dollar. They're not. Varly is the better, and far, far more proven goaltender than Picks. It's not so obvious a decision as you're making it sound and I would be very surprised if Sakic decided to trade his proven number 1 for a guy that's never been a full time NHL starter.

<-- This Avs fan thinks the team's future is with Pickard in net, and not Varlamov. And I'm okay with that. I think the difference between the caliber of goalie you are getting is smaller than the contract difference between them. I know Pickard has had a limited showing, but he is solid, and has great mental fortitude. He has shown more consistency than Varlamov, although is less likely to steal as many games. I think that is a wash.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
<-- This Avs fan thinks the team's future is with Pickard in net, and not Varlamov. And I'm okay with that. I think the difference between the caliber of goalie you are getting is smaller than the contract difference between them. I know Pickard has had a limited showing, but he is solid, and has great mental fortitude. He has shown more consistency than Varlamov, although is less likely to steal as many games. I think that is a wash.

Curious how a goalie who has played 36 NHL games over 2 seasons could really be considered more consistent? Even in most starter's worst years you could probably find a stretch of 8 or 9 games where they were consistent. The same is true for Picks.

I do think Picks will be a starter some day. It may even be here. But I doubt by the end of next year the Avs management will be so impressed with him that they decide to trade or leave Varly unprotected with the mindset that Pickard has cemented himself as the number 1.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Was not expecting him to be that cheap. Excellent signing for the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You seem to think they're the same quality of goaltender with the difference being dollar. They're not. Varly is the better, and far, far more proven goaltender than Picks. It's not so obvious a decision as you're making it sound and I would be very surprised if Sakic decided to trade/unprotect his proven number 1 for a guy that's never been a full time NHL starter.

I disagree with this statement, and I think after this season, Pickard>Varlamov when you look at age and contracts.

This will be the year where Picks becomes the Avs future #1 IMO. Varly probably still plays more, but I think it'll be something like 50 for Varlamov and 32 for Pickard. Where Pickard puts up just as good if not better numbers.

And then I think its an easy choice for the Avs. Pick is already a fan favorite(Even more then Varly I think) and has the potential to be every bit as good if not better then Varly.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
I disagree with this statement, and I think after this season, Pickard>Varlamov when you look at age and contracts.

This will be the year where Picks becomes the Avs future #1 IMO. Varly probably still plays more, but I think it'll be something like 50 for Varlamov and 32 for Pickard. Where Pickard puts up just as good if not better numbers.

And then I think its an easy choice for the Avs. Pick is already a fan favorite(Even more then Varly I think) and has the potential to be every bit as good if not better then Varly.

Disagree. Even casual fans can see how heavily this team relies on Varly and all appreciate him for it. But even if that was true, it should have no baring on the decision honestly. I'd say lots of fans like McLeod too, but it would be idiotic to protect him in an expansion draft.

Potential is all well and good. But right now the Avalanche have an established number 1 goalie. Giving him up for what is essentially a gamble doesn't make sense. If Varly gets injured next year and Picks takes the reigns and dominates all year maybe this changes their minds. If next year plays out similar to last year even I doubt they do it. Seems like a huge gamble, with the best case scenario being that you have Picks become a number 1 as good as the number 1 you have now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pickard most certainly isn't more consistent than Varlamov given how little he's played compared to Varly.

I believe Varly is clearly a fan favourite in Denver, probably top-3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad