Claimed off Waivers: [COL] Avalanche claim G Ivan Prosvetov off waivers from the Coyotes

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
His first 3 NHL games last season were outstanding. His next 4 were awful. He needs to develop consistency at the NHL level. He's only 24 but he's behind Vejmelka and Ingram in AZ. Won't be surprised if AZ reclaims him if he hits waivers again later in the season.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Interesting pick up, I’ve always liked Prosvetov as a goalie. Hope a fresh start can help him jump start his pro career.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hmmm... fwiw I liked Anchorman. Oh well.

Wrt Prosvetov, a few years ago he was considered our goalie of the future, but in limited NHL action he hasn't been very good -- of course the team hasn't been good either which is certainly part of it. Then we randomly signed Veggie out of nowhere / picked up Ingram off waivers (both 26/27 years old), so barring injury Pros has no path to the NHL if he stays with Zona.

All that to say Colorado's getting a third string goaltender who best case is a fringe NHLer right now, he's 24 so he very may well get better, there are worse players to make a bet on. Esp since you got him for free and it doesn't look you're esp deep in goal right now.

That said, I'm surprised Avs picked up Pros over Jones, the way I see it Avs are clearly in the middle of a championship window, I'd think you'd want the person who's the better goalie today (even if Jones is 33 compared to Pros who is 24). Idk really.

Either way Pros might be good now, but imo Avs fans shouldn't go in expecting too much and that way none will be disappointed. Regardless, the real question is how good will he be 1-3 years from now, we'll all find out in real time

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Hmmm... fwiw I liked Anchorman. Oh well.

Wrt Prosvetov, a few years ago he was considered our goalie of the future, but in limited NHL action he hasn't been very good -- of course the team hasn't been good either which is certainly part of it. Then we randomly signed Veggie out of nowhere / picked up Ingram off waivers (both 26/27 years old), so barring injury Pros has no path to the NHL if he stays with Zona.

All that to say Colorado's getting a third string goaltender who best case is a fringe NHLer right now, he's 24 so he very may well get better, there are worse players to make a bet on. Esp since you got him for free and it doesn't look you're esp deep in goal right now.

That said, I'm surprised Avs picked up Pros over Jones, the way I see it Avs are clearly in the middle of a championship window, I'd think you'd want the person who's the better goalie today (even if Jones is 33 compared to Pros who is 24). Idk really.

Either way Pros might be good now, but imo Avs fans shouldn't go in expecting too much and that way none will be disappointed. Regardless, the real question is how good will he be 1-3 years from now, we'll all find out in real time

Martin Jones has the worst SV% of any goalie to play at least 60 games over the last 5 seasons.

I'm much happier with the Avs going after a younger guy with upside, even if he's struggled to this point. His primary job will be to sit on the bench while Georgiev does the heavy lifting, which allows Annunen to get starts in the AHL. If he plays a few games and doesn't completely suck, that's a bonus. And then Francouz will eventually get healthy enough to attempt another failed comeback and we'll lose him when he's claimed off waivers. Hopefully that team will waive him 2 weeks later, just in time for Colorado to claim him back after Francouz goes back on LTIR, or we'll have to start the cycle all over again with another waiver claim...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Avs are usually pretty good at making these fringe dudes look like semi-serviceable backups. I imagine they grabbed him because there is some hope of upside. But if Frankie’s injury lingers (or really, even if it doesn’t) I’d expect them to pick up a more proven guy at the deadline. For now, cheap backup that hopefully won’t see the ice too much.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Martin Jones has the worst SV% of any goalie to play at least 60 games over the last 5 seasons.

I'm much happier with the Avs going after a younger guy with upside, even if he's struggled to this point.
His primary job will be to sit on the bench while Georgiev does the heavy lifting, which allows Annunen to get starts in the AHL. If he plays a few games and doesn't completely suck, that's a bonus. And then Francouz will eventually get healthy enough to attempt another failed comeback and we'll lose him when he's claimed off waivers. Hopefully that team will waive him 2 weeks later, just in time for Colorado to claim him back after Francouz goes back on LTIR, or we'll have to start the cycle all over again with another waiver claim...

Well, ok. But Jones went 27-13-3 last year, I would argue he's one of the main reasons Seattle was in the playoffs at all. More specifically, I'd argue without him I think Colorado wins at least the first round against Winnipeg and then probably Dallas, if you get past Dallas then you play against a relatively worn out Vegas team who knows what happens. Idk. You could also argue Seattle would've hit 100 points anyway, like you said Jones' 0.886 save percentage last year was very bad.

But. Prosvetov's played 13 GP in his career (11 starts), career GAA of 4.07 and career SV% of 0.871. 0.880 last year which is worse than Martin Jones'. Also, Pros is inconsistent, some games he's been fine but some others he really hasn't.

Either way like you said, completely reasonable for the Avs to go after potential. Just wanted to make it clear that's what's happening here, Pros is a pickup with potential upside. In a perfect world Pros would currently be competing with Justis and / or Arvid Holm for that leading AHL spot, not for the NHL backup role. But, given injuries sure why not pick up a guy for free and see what happens and / or whether this guy can be part of a long term solution. Given where Avs are in their window, I would've picked up the NHL veteran, but you can clearly justify either decision

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
They should have signed Ivan Ivan to cover their bases.
Lol this reminds me of how the Flames traded for Yegor Sharangovich and then drafted Yegor Yegor to add 3 Yegors to the organization

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Well, ok. But Jones went 27-13-3 last year, I would argue he's one of the main reasons Seattle was in the playoffs at all. More specifically, I'd argue without him I think Colorado wins at least the first round against Winnipeg and then probably Dallas, if you get past Dallas then you play against a relatively worn out Vegas team who knows what happens. Idk. You could also argue Seattle would've hit 100 points anyway, like you said Jones' 0.886 save percentage last year was very bad.

But. Prosvetov's played 13 GP in his career (11 starts), career GAA of 4.07 and career SV% of 0.871. 0.880 last year which is worse than Martin Jones'. Also, Pros is inconsistent, some games he's been fine but some others he really hasn't.

Either way like you said, completely reasonable for the Avs to go after potential. Just wanted to make it clear that's what's happening here, Pros is a pickup with potential upside. In a perfect world Pros would currently be competing with Justis and / or Arvid Holm for that leading AHL spot, not for the NHL backup role. But, given injuries sure why not pick up a guy for free and see what happens and / or whether this guy can be part of a long term solution. Given where Avs are in their window, I would've picked up the NHL veteran, but you can clearly justify either decision

Depending how it goes with Frankie and this guy they’ll make another move later. No cap space so starting cheap

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I'd argue that his record is more indicative of the fact that his team was the 4th highest scoring team in the league, and not necessarily reflective of his abilities as a goalie. I'd also point out that Grubauer was the goalie in the playoffs, and would argue that if Jones was in net, maybe the Avs win anyway.

Reactions: Quackenator

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I'd argue that his record is more indicative of the fact that his team was the 4th highest scoring team in the league, and not necessarily reflective of his abilities as a goalie. I'd also point out that Grubauer was the goalie in the playoffs, and would argue that if Jones was in net, maybe the Avs win anyway.

Both fair points.

But, imo if you're in a championship window ie win-now, I'd still go with the veteran who's shown he can win games on a good team (which the Avs will almost certainly be this year). Pros hasn't shown that yet, maybe he'll get there, maybe he won't. We can agree to disagree

Reactions: Raistlin

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
They should have signed Ivan Ivan to cover their bases.
1696966521506.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad