Confirmed Trade: (COL/ARI) Soderberg for Connauton and a 3rd round pick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This made less sense than my dreams when I'm inebriated. Colorado has a bunch of cap space. Too much, in fact. I thought they were going to load up.
How do you know they arent? Free agency hasnt happened yet.....

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unless Colorado has something lined up, like a trade for Turris, assuming Nashville signs Duchene this makes no sense

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Maybe the Avs offersheet Aho. They've got enough prospects stockpiled that 4 1sts shouldn't hurt them too much.

If there really is a rift in Carolina with Aho (which I don't believe there is) I think a straight trade of 3 1sts/equivalent value in players + picks would probably get it done. No need for either side to deal with the optics of the offersheet process

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
If there really is a rift in Carolina with Aho (which I don't believe there is) I think a straight trade of 3 1sts/equivalent value in players + picks would probably get it done. No need for either side to deal with the optics of the offersheet process

That's true. But the point still stands that the Soderberg move only makes sense if COL is going to try to bring in someone better and more expensive to replace him.

They moved a valuable position player for a low return, seemingly for no reason.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Because as of now they have a giant gaping hole in the middle of the ice
Maybe so but it's a hell of a lot more likely that they turn to Vegas or another cap-strapped team and come to a deal for a center to give that team some cap relief (Stastny would be the ideal fit - with 2 years left on his deal) rather than help Nashville by allowing them to upgrade from Turris to Duchene.

Turris had a terrible year on a strong team and still has 5 years left on his contract.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
How do you know they arent? Free agency hasnt happened yet.....
But... they can still load up and keep this guy... I really don't get what they're doing unless .... are they going to sign every UFA out there?

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
But... they can still load up and keep this guy... I really don't get what they're doing unless .... are they going to sign every UFA out there?
Hopefully - He is 33, half blind, and ran out of gas in the second round (could argue the first round). Joe is trying to build a playoff contender, can't have a guy making just under $5mil that can't keep up. Avs have Mack, Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, Kamenev in the NHL that can all play centre and have Kaut and Bowers in the A. They might want to see what they have with these guys first, can always make a trade during the season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Not if they sign two of the bigger names (not even Panarin) plus Rantanen, Zadorov, and Compher. Depending on how the contracts work out, that leaves $5-10m to fill out 2-3 roster spots. $40m can go fast.

Reactions: thadd

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Because as of now they have a giant gaping hole in the middle of the ice
The middle isn't "that" bad. Its the added wingers that we dont have to help the middle.

We could throw out Jost, Kamanev, and Bowers. As long as we have decent wingers, well be ok.

Panarin - MacKinnon -Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - Zuccarello
Kerfoot - Compher - Kaut
Nieto - Kamanev - Calvert

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I thought the Avs had a lot of players play either at or above their skill level in the series against San Jose. Soderberg was one of the few players that was very underwhelming.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Don’t the Avs need more centres?

Maybe they have a FA in mind but I’m not sure this trade makes sense.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Don’t the Avs need more centres?

Maybe they have a FA in mind but I’m not sure this trade makes sense.
We’re hoping Joe gets a 2nd line center, haha. I think he wants Jost to be our 3rd line center, he looked good in the playoffs.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I thought the Avs had a lot of players play either at or above their skill level in the series against San Jose. Soderberg was one of the few players that was very underwhelming.
Yeah, he had a bad playoffs for sure. I thought Jost and Compher stepped it up.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Hopefully - He is 33, half blind, and ran out of gas in the second round (could argue the first round). Joe is trying to build a playoff contender, can't have a guy making just under $5mil that can't keep up. Avs have Mack, Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, Kamenev in the NHL that can all play centre and have Kaut and Bowers in the A. They might want to see what they have with these guys first, can always make a trade during the season.

23 goals and 49 points is still nothing to sneeze at.

His real salary is what matters to the Avs which is 4M for just one more season. Could also be argued that Kevin Connauton and his 1.5 real million salary was somewhat of a contact dump as well.

Very odd deal for the Avs considering there lack of depth but great under the radar pickup for the Yotes.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
23 goals and 49 points is still nothing to sneeze at.

His real salary is what matters to the Avs which is 4M for just one more season. Could also be argued that Kevin Connauton and his 1.5 real million salary was somewhat of a contact dump as well.

Very odd deal for the Avs considering there lack of depth but great under the radar pickup for the Yotes.
Would like to think they have bigger plans up their sleeve, have to wait a few days to find out i guess.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Who do you guys have in mind as a target? I liked Soderstrom.
I think Kadri or Stastny is a target most Avs’ fans can agree with. There’s talk of Barrie being dealt, but EJ and Cole are injured til Nov/Dec, so not sure trading Barrie is a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad