Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why on Earth would Sakic not match Seattle on that offer instead of this? WHY? Someone please explain?
Sakic and his staff clearly aren't convinced that he's worth that much money and term. Keep in mind that Grubauer seemingly lost the starters job to Francouz for a stretch in 2019/20. Francouz also has great numbers behind this defense. Committing that much term and money to a guy who obviously benefitted greatly from playing in this system would be a risk. He also failed 3 times in the playoffs - against SJ, injured against Dallas, and laying an egg in the last 3 games against Vegas.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
So your argument is that my sample isn't big enough, and needs to include a bunch of cherry-picked, edge case, outliers so that the data has more integrity? LOL. I think we can be done with this. You're clearly not interested in actually talking about it.
The point was to show u how quick your method changed when given more data or just changing the variables a little. That basically every year a big % 1st rounders bust (wich they therefore actually don't, as its expexted...) and what u call edge case and outliers exist every year, wich therefore don't make them outliers. Until you make an real effort challenging the studies u don't believe in with a time span and variables to match it neither I see the point arguing on. Have a nice day.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Me either. Avs have some dumb fans. This wasn’t a bad deal for us. Avs solved their 1G dilemma with a potential upgrade on Grubs for $2.4mm less AAv in year 1 vs what Grubs makes in Seattle.

You just pushed that 1 year down the road with Kuemper or someone else and paid nice price assets wise by doing that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You just pushed that 1 year down the road with Kuemper or someone else and paid nice price assets wise by doing that.
One year? This is another top shelf year for the Avs to compete for a cup. Hell yes I want a proper 1 goalie to make the most of this one year.

another aspect of this we don’t know. Will Kuemper extend? Maybe. Grubs had never signed a large NHL contract. His deal in Seattle almost doubled his AAV and was twice was long as his last contract. He had to follow the money. He’s also won a cup. Kuemper hasn’t won a cup and he has made more money playing in the NHL. He may be more inclined than Grubs was to take less to finish his career on an elite team.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sakic did get caught an overpaid, but will make the team better.

If he remains injury free, AVs have a year to find a suitable replacement or extend his contract. Price was high, still was the best player and position to add. This might be a rare Sakic loss, but opens more cap space and might be enough to get deeper in the playoffs.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
5 goals on 16 shoots vs OTT tonight. Everyone knows his blocker sucks. Wouldn't have traded a 4th for him, let alone 1st and Timmins. Pretty sure he's like dead last in all major stats for starters.

Should've traded concussion boy Byram for Gibson when we had the chance.
I saw the stats tonight but he’s been that bad all season eh?
Shame, wonder why he looked so good in Arizona. But once he gets to a top team he has struggled?

Reactions: Laus723

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I saw the stats tonight but he’s been that bad all season eh?
Shame, wonder why he looked so good in Arizona. But once he gets to a top team he has struggled?

No he hasn’t been. The last 4 games he’s been good to great. He had a rough night tonight, but there were some very strange goals in the game too.

Reactions: Laus723

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Was a huge overpayment but I don't care about his regular season stats. At all.
Same goes for 99% of the rest of the Avs players.

If he can step up in the playoffs (which Grubi didn't), he might justify his price tag somewhat at the end of the day.

I honestly prefer his numbers sucking in the regular season. Atleast that would mean that we might be able to extend him at a reasonable rate if he is good in the playoffs.

So yeah. Keep those numbers down and don't overexert yourself in the regular season, Darcy!

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Was a huge overpayment but I don't care about his regular season stats. At all.
Same goes for 99% of the rest of the Avs players.

If he can step up in the playoffs (which Grubi didn't), he might justify his price tag somewhat at the end of the day.
According to the stats Grubauer was really good in the playoffs during his time in Colorado.
Grubi stats.PNG

its always easy to blame the goalie.

By the way Fleury has worse stats in last years playoffs (since 2019s playoffs)
And he won the vezina last year. And he played against you guys.

Fleury stats.PNG

Grubauer might not have been stellar, but quite good better than the vezina winning goalie .

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
5 goals on 16 shoots vs OTT tonight. Everyone knows his blocker sucks. Wouldn't have traded a 4th for him, let alone 1st and Timmins. Pretty sure he's like dead last in all major stats for starters.

This is one of the worst posts I’ve read in a while.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
According to the stats Grubauer was really good in the playoffs during his time in Colorado.
View attachment 483192

View attachment 483193
Grubauer might not have been stellar, but quite good better than the vezina winning goalie .

He had 3 games below .900% one of them being .770%. It's worth taking a look at the games he lost rather than the series against the Yotes and Blues where it was a curb-stomping.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
View attachment 483192

View attachment 483193
Is their an advanced stat for unscreened goals given up to Josh Holden?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
No he hasn’t been. The last 4 games he’s been good to great. He had a rough night tonight, but there were some very strange goals in the game too.

agreed. What the hell. Out of those 5 goals,

- first one was deflection / tip in front of him, could not do shit
- second and third ones were absolute top-shelf snipes
- fourth was on ottawas powerplay after rebound off his pads
- fifth was off his mask as his leg got stuck near the post

he could possibly do better on the fourth one, react quicker to that rebound, but the rest he could not do much. For sure was not his best game, but saying he was crap because off his game stats, without actually looking at those goals, is proper bullshit.

He is a decent goaler. Grubauer might have been better, but he had his chance to stay and chose to leave. And is not exactly setting the world alight at Seattle either.

Reactions: Mordoch and hn777

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He had 3 games below .900% one of them being .770%. It's worth taking a look at the games he lost rather than the series against the Yotes and Blues where it was a curb-stomping.

Yup he faltered hard when it really counted.

Like with the Caps when he lost his job to Holtby who lead them to the cup.

Grubi should be one of my favorite players considering that he probably will start for my country in the 2022 Olympics but I was never sold on him and still am not.

The Avs needed him against Vegas and he came up well short (same can be said for MacKinnon and many other players but a clutch goalie can bail a lot of them out and he didn't).

We will see if Kuemper can do it. And as I said. If he can shine in the playoffs, I prefer him to have not killed it in the regular season so his next contract will be lower.
Avs should be a playoff team regardless so I don't care at all how he does in the regular season really.

Reactions: Alienblood

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Good to know the single stupidest poster on this site. Gotta figure out that ignore button for once.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He's been fine. Nothing stellar, but the Avs are winning, which is the goal.

Still see hints of concern as the Avs have had with previous goalies in that there will be some untimely goals allowed and/or a rough outing, but it will be the playoffs that matter.

Tough sledding for a large chunk of a fanbase that still remembers having that rare goalie who could win you the game as opposed to having a good one who won't lose you the game

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's been fine. Nothing stellar, but the Avs are winning, which is the goal.

Still see hints of concern as the Avs have had with previous goalies in that there will be some untimely goals allowed and/or a rough outing, but it will be the playoffs that matter.

Tough sledding for a large chunk of a fanbase that still remembers having that rare goalie who could win you the game as opposed to having a good one who won't lose you the game
Real test comes in the playoffs. That’s what it comes down to for the Avs.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Avs essentially traded their 1st round pick for Kuemper. Timmins was a valueless throw in for the exact reason why he isn’t playing in Arizona. He simply cannot stay healthy.

The trade was fine. Kuemper has been ranging from okay-great before last night. I’m not sure there were any other options that I’d have preferred Sakic to go with.

Reactions: Linds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad