Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Given the gluttony of goaltenders who were available in FA this past off-season, it definitely seems like a misstep by Sakic to have given up a 1st + a D prospect in exchange for 1 year of Kuemper when he could've just signed one and then used that trade currency to upgrade the lineup elsewhere

The priority was Makar and Landeskog clearly, those negotiations probably took his focus and he needed to know those terms/AAV first. He didn't foresee Grubauer getting that deal in FA (especially from Seattle I mean did any of us see that coming?) It was a mistake I guess with hindsight he paid to fix it though, and given how bad Grubauer has been it's hard to really fault at this point. I think he will trade for a stronger backup at the deadline than the guys he's usually been getting for cheap (e.g. Jonas Johansson and Dubnyk) and reassess in the offseason

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The priority was Makar and Landeskog clearly, those negotiations probably took his focus and he needed to know those terms/AAV first. He didn't foresee Grubauer getting that deal in FA (especially from Seattle I mean did any of us see that coming?) It was a mistake I guess with hindsight he paid to fix it though, and given how bad Grubauer has been it's hard to really fault at this point. I think he will trade for a stronger backup at the deadline than the guys he's usually been getting for cheap (e.g. Jonas Johansson and Dubnyk) and reassess in the offseason

Grubauer wasn't the only option...

Sakic should've had a price point for Grubauer, and when it was rejected, he should've moved on to one of the many goalies available in FA

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Grubauer wasn't the only option...

Sakic should've had a price point for Grubauer, and when it was rejected, he should've moved on to one of the many goalies available in FA

I remember Grubauer was one of the last to sign, this list doesn't have timestamps but has Grubauer listed ahead of others on July 28 (meaning he was the last to sign if this was accumulated in reverse chronological order).

Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Reactions: John Mandalorian

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What does that have to do with being injury prone? Timmins can't stay healthy. Which was the argument. The argument wasn't that every injury has been the same.
I believe you're correct. He was a throw in because of the injury history. It's a different injury but the history is the same. We had that with Raanta. Really good when he played but just never healthy. That type of player becomes a gamble every time you sign them to a contract. With Timmons's age, there's a better chance he eventually gets past it. Considering Armstrong was nuking the team to the ground, a first for Kuemper was as good as he was going to get. Timmins was a nice young piece to take a shot on as a kicker. If he works out, great. If not, we have the 1st we were after. The rare deal where both teams and fan bases were happy with it for the most part. Love Kuemps even though it's better for us if you guys doing do very well.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Why are we still debating this? Grub wanted long term at a high AAV. Sakic stuck to his guns. During this time where they negotiated with Grub Andersen (the reported first back up plan) signed in Carolina. Then Seattle came in and ended the negotiations. A first and a D man was a high price but it has worked out for the Avs. Timmins was expendable as his speed didn’t necessarily fit the Avs and we have Barron, Hellesson, and Behrens on the way. The first hurts but the Avs are in win-now mode. 1sts will be traded.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sakic should have demanded a proper equipment guy in the trade. The bozo currently working for the Avs can’t figure out a skate problem over two games worth of seeing the same issue.

given Timmins injury history, a late first for Kuemper with $1mm retained was a solid trade for the Avs. They used that $1mm on Murray. So it’s Kuemper + Ryan Murray for Timmins and a late 1st.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Timmins was not a throw-in. ARI insisted on Timmins to be included in the trade because of their Director Pro Scouting Allan Hepple. Hepple drafted Timmins when he was with the Avs.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The thing I don't like about the Kuemper acquisition is he's a UFA this summer...

Sakic put the team in a situation where they missed out on the plethora of available goaltenders that could've been had for nothing more than cap space, and then ultimately had to give up valuable assets in order to fill that void... which he may have to fill again in the summer

Funnily enough, when Grubauer signed with Seattle, the obvious goalie to trade for was... Chris Driedger

I'm sure Driedger thought he would be the team's starter when he signed a 3 year deal with the Kraken (same cap hit the Avs are paying Kuemper)... so I can't imagine he was very happy when they brought in Grubauer

Driedger is 27, so he's in his prime, and over the last 2 seasons posted a .931 SV% in 35 games

IMO, that's the kind of goalie teams should be targeting... someone in their prime with a low to moderate cap hit who has shown the potential to be elite, but is stuck playing behind an established starter... kinda like what the Leafs did when they acquired Campbell

And this is purely speculative on my part, but I'm guessing the Avs wouldn't have had to part with their 1st rd pick to get him, considering Detroit only gave up a 3rd + the rights to Jonathan Bernier in their trade for Nedeljkovic

Maybe Francis would've moved Driedger for Timmins + a 3rd rd pick

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I believe you're correct. He was a throw in because of the injury history. It's a different injury but the history is the same. We had that with Raanta. Really good when he played but just never healthy. That type of player becomes a gamble every time you sign them to a contract. With Timmons's age, there's a better chance he eventually gets past it. Considering Armstrong was nuking the team to the ground, a first for Kuemper was as good as he was going to get. Timmins was a nice young piece to take a shot on as a kicker. If he works out, great. If not, we have the 1st we were after. The rare deal where both teams and fan bases were happy with it for the most part. Love Kuemps even though it's better for us if you guys doing do very well.

Oh Im not criticizing the trade nor am I an avs fan. Just thought the argument was stupid when the guy obviously has been battling lots of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad