Confirmed with Link: Cody Hodgson to Nashville, 1 year deal

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Love it. IF he pans out, he could add the kick we were looking for on that third line. Beck, Bourque, Nystom, etc.. may be headed to waiver town later this year.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Poile must have been inspired by his 6 goals last season. $1 million? Yikes. Glad a penny pinching team like us wastes money on guys like Hodgson, Gaustad, Nystrom and buyouts for guys like Stalberg, Clune, etc.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Poile must have been inspired by his 6 goals last season. $1 million? Yikes. Glad a penny pinching team like us wastes money on guys like Hodgson, Gaustad, Nystrom and buyouts for guys like Stalberg, Clune, etc.

Dude $1m is such a low sum for an NHL club it carries virtually no risk. And the Preds aren't as penny pinching as they used to be. I even think they could be a full cap team if they wished.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
There goes Watson... Just don't get this way way way way too many forwards. Unless an RFA told Poile he will not sign.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And there's the annual reclamation project. Would be nice if he works out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

* * *​
For one guy yes, but a bunch of Nystrom, Hodgson, etc. contracts add up.

Oh, please. This has about as much in common with the Nystrom contract as Shea Weber's contract has with that of Ryan Ellis. Short term, tiny amount.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

His PPG in the NHL is 0.46. He played in a tanking Buffalo last season. He also had a 20 goal season, 15 goal season and a 16 goal season. Low risk, high reward.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

I'm betting you had similar thoughts when we picked up the bought out Ribeiro for the same contract. That didn't turn out so bad.

I wonder if Watson regrets signing. Maybe packaged up with Hellberg and moved for, say... a 5th?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
dammit. this years Roy/Jokinen. I understand creating depth and forcing players to compete for spots, but at some point you have to let the kids come up and learn.

I suppose one signing like this isnt a big deal, but I suspect this will be more like Bergfors and less like Ribiero

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
dammit. this years Roy/Jokinen. I understand creating depth and forcing players to compete for spots, but at some point you have to let the kids come up and learn.

I suppose one signing like this isnt a big deal, but I suspect this will be more like Bergfors and less like Ribiero

Agreed. I'd rather just try out Arvidsson or Aberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
More competition is great for the type of roster we have. Worst case scenario is he either is awful in camp or one of the kids beats him out and he gets waived.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm betting you had similar thoughts when we picked up the bought out Ribeiro for the same contract. That didn't turn out so bad.

I wonder if Watson regrets signing. Maybe packaged up with Hellberg and moved for, say... a 5th?

Watson and Hellberg are both legitimate NHL prospects. Watson a 1st round pick that will make a team as a bottom 6 player than can play a full game and Hellberg a talented athlete that could probably be a back-up from day one. They are worth way more than a 5th.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

after signing Watson to a deal Poile isnt going to trade him, and he's all but guaranteed a roster spot next year.

Hellberg is the enigma... we probably cant get anything for him, but there is no room for him in Milwaukee.

Nobody has yet answered my question as to whether we could loan Hellberg to another AHL team that needs a goalie and yet us still retain his rights?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
A - obviously we (the preds) love our reclamation projects.
B - Mr. Hook, we expect to see better of you and your job is not a given.
C - Poile already said he didn't think we had any kids in the system to fill a C role when he was talking about signing Ribs so I don't think this in any way or shape holds up a kid's opportunity, plus no one was saying that about Moses and he's older than Hodgson (plus he has actually scored 20 goals in a season against the big-boys).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad