Cody Hodgson Documentary

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A new documentary coming out about Cody Hodgson and the rare genetic disorder that forced him to retire. Explains a lot about his struggles and retirement after a great junior career and a promising start with the Canucks.

Ex-Canuck Cody Hodgson releasing documentary about genetic disorder that ended his NHL career.

Hodgson revealed to Sportsnet he was diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, caused by a genetic mutation of the RYR-1 gene. In his case affects his muscular system and seems to be triggered by prolonged exercise.
Doctors had told him he couldn’t play anymore.
His final season was a literal struggle, he says in the trailer for the documentary.
“I was having trouble breathing i was blacking out and my muscles were extremely tight. My whole body was just shaking,” he says.
Now, he’s partnered with the RYR-1 Foundation and created a documentary about the disorder, and says he’s looking to raise awareness about it. The documentary will get its first screening in Toronto in early December.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The real question is, does this let the team off the hook of the whole debacle? The poor kid's career was over but it really wasn't our fault and we managed to get a good trade out of it before the inevitable happened.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The real question is, does this let the team off the hook of the whole debacle? The poor kid's career was over but it really wasn't our fault and we managed to get a good trade out of it before the inevitable happened.

There was so much going on with him, but yeah, it pretty much does. A rare genetic condition that was missed by doctors? What can you do? Imagine if it had been found sooner, he probably would have had to retire before the trade to Buffalo even.

As Hodgson said in the link he really should have never been able to play at all. It's remarkable he made it as far as he did.

Still shitty though.

Reactions: geebaan

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Biiiiiiiggggg Country!
Unless it turns out that he had a genetic disorder that made him slow and unable to shoot a basketball.
Man. The Grizzlies never stood a chance with Reeves as our first pick.

People forget tho that Big Country had 3 really productive seasons for Grizz. Cant say the same for Hodgson

Reactions: lawrence

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
How would the Canucks know about this? his misdiagnosis was over his back when he played in Vancouver.
His OWN doctor made a misdiagnosis. It was only when the Canucks medical staff recheck him again that they found out about his problem.

Bigger Bust :

Big Country or Cody Hodgson ??
Cody was NEVER a cap problem for the Canucks (thanks to ELC).

Big Country fat contract + lower cap for expansion club like the Grizzlies = trouble [awful bench - starting five wasn't THAT bad]

Reactions: thekernel

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Big Country was one of the top 10 Vancouver Grizzlies of ALL TIME. Arguably top 5. You can't say that about Hodgson and the Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bigger Bust :

Big Country or Cody Hodgson ??

Biiiiiiiggggg Country!
Unless it turns out that he had a genetic disorder that made him slow and unable to shoot a basketball.
Man. The Grizzlies never stood a chance with Reeves as our first pick.

Neither were draft busts but were bust signings.

I don't know why people consider Big Country Bryant Reeves to be a draft bust. It's not like plenty of guys drafted after him became stars. Shaq once named his as the guy he hated to face. Reeves probably would have had a long career in the NBA had he stayed healthy. He had great hands for a C his size and was actually pretty skilled with an ability to hit the mid-range jumper. How many true Cs matched his offensive ability that were drafted around his time that weren't hall of famers? Ilgauskas?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks are probably not going to look good, about the misdiagnosis, in this documentary sigh. :(

And ruin our managements exemplary record??? Sam Gagner said he still has not heard from Benning or any assistant GM etc that he was going to minors and pretty much ending his NHL career. His agent had to tell him. Countless times I’ve heard players say that they hear about being traded out of Vancouver from the media first. We are not really known for being the classiest bunch.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Going back to the day, l recall how much ink was spilled on these very boards excoriating the Canucks braintrust for the way they handled Hodgson's back injury, and then dealing him one-for-on for another failed first rounder in Zack Kassian. Turns out there might have been more to his struggles in VanCity than met the eye.

Sadly just another in a long line of Canuck first round picks who either got hurt playing junior, or had conditions that ended their careers prematurely. I call it the curse of J.J. Daigneault, who showed up on the podium with crutches after the Canucks drafted him in the mid-80's.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
the difference between Gillis drafts and Benning drafts is two fold

Benning had higher draft picks

Benning's 2014-2018 draft crop were substantially deeper and better than 2008-2012 (2013 aside where, well would you look at that Bo Horvat)

players in the 1st round are better now and hold more value than before

Reactions: Jyrki21

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And ruin our managements exemplary record??? Sam Gagner said he still has not heard from Benning or any assistant GM etc that he was going to minors and pretty much ending his NHL career. His agent had to tell him. Countless times I’ve heard players say that they hear about being traded out of Vancouver from the media first. We are not really known for being the classiest bunch.
If there was another team interested in Gagner for 50% of his contract don’t you think the Canucks would have taken that deal even if it was swapping our 7th rounder for a 6th rounder, so a move up of 15 draft slots? No team wanted him. Doubt Aquilini was pleased to hear $3.15 million was going to the AHL.

Gagner isn’t in the NHL because he didn’t perform. And his contract prevents teams from taking a flyer on him.

If no team is interested in him come June, he gets bought out. He will get paid $8.4 million of his $9.45 million contract while spending 1 year in the NHL. Cry me a river.

Especially when Gagner was loaned out to Toronto to make it a bit easier for him to get a direct flight to see his kids and family.

If he thought he wouldn’t ever get demoted due to his contract, well here his wake up call.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hodgson. 5 G 11 A 16 P in 6 WJC games in 2009.

I recall watching that tourny and being so impressed. His skating wasnt the best but the guy had elite vision. Was so sure he would be an elite 1C for years to come.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sadly just another in a long line of Canuck first round picks who either got hurt playing junior, or had conditions that ended their careers prematurely. I call it the curse of J.J. Daigneault, who showed up on the podium with crutches after the Canucks drafted him in the mid-80's.
Agree that optics looked horrible with JJ showing up with crutches. The thing is....he still played 899 NHL games in his career. Also has his name on the Stanley Cup. Not that bad for a 10th overall pick.

Reactions: pomorick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad