Cody Goloubef

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
I was looking to get some other people's opinions on how Goloubef has looked this year, but haven't really seen anything, so I figured I'd start a player discussion thread. In my honest opinion, Goloubef has looked like our best defenseman so far this year. He has an active stick and seems to have really good awareness for the puck, as well has some great puck possession and good up ice passing. He currently sits with a +3 rating, which is the best on the team. The second best is Connauton at even. When Connauton was paired with Prout, he had a -4 rating after 6 games. Since then, he's had a +4 rating over the last 6 games with Goloubef. I personally feel that Goloubef will be everything that the front office thinks Ryan Murray will be. So far, he hasn't disappointed.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
He knows his role and he plays to his strength. Doesn't panic with the puck and isn't expected to contribute too much on offense. Solid player

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
He knows his role and he plays to his strength. Doesn't panic with the puck and isn't expected to contribute too much on offense. Solid player

This, IMO, is what's made him great so far. We have enough offensive defenseman and he's been a defensive defenseman, which is exactly what we need.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like him a lot. He's got a good first step and doesn't waste time moving the puck. A bit of a lightweight but he plays tough.

To me he's a good #4 complement. I have no problem with putting him in the top 4.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The preference was always the bigger Prout over Goloubef. The indication was the need for the size as both have RH shots. Cody is much more efficient with the puck, better skater and has enough size to maintain his own in the D zone. with JJ, Savard, Murray and Tyutin all considered "above" him on the depth chart it came down to him, Cotton and Prout for the last two spots.

Personally, I had him in my top 4 in a couple articles I had written. He just seems to have a solid all around game. Not flashy but can support all three zones and doesn't seem to make many mistakes.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I personally feel that Goloubef will be everything that the front office thinks Ryan Murray will be. So far, he hasn't disappointed.

What is this supposed to mean? At their best he won't ever be as good as Murray.

Still a fine player, much better than Prout. Mobility, moving the puck up ice, and having solid puck skills are constantly becoming more important for dmen and Cody obviously excels at those traits unlike Tyutin and the aforementioned Prout.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I want to see more of him in the lineup. It's entirely possible he could soon become the stabilizing blueliner we need.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I still don't understand the scratching of Goloubef in January.

Of the defensemen, he has the highest ES points/60 on the team and the highest points/60 in all situations.

He has the 2nd-highest ES iCorsi/60 (behind only Jones). He's T-1 among blue liners in ES GF/60, he has the 2nd-best ES GA/60 (behind only Jones again).

Unless it was conditioning related with being out so long, everything points to him being one of the better defenseman on the team. The rotating healthy scratches confuse me.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I still don't understand the scratching of Goloubef in January.

Of the defensemen, he has the highest ES points/60 on the team and the highest points/60 in all situations.

He has the 2nd-highest ES iCorsi/60 (behind only Jones). He's T-1 among blue liners in ES GF/60, he has the 2nd-best ES GA/60 (behind only Jones again).

Unless it was conditioning related with being out so long, everything points to him being one of the better defenseman on the team. The rotating healthy scratches confuse me.

This his how I viewed it. With a wired jaw I'm sure he lost a lot of weight and strength/energy.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
i like him alot. I wish he'd play over Prout but the coaching staff seems determined to get him back to the lockout year form he showed. I hope he's apart of our plans going forward. A very good 5-6 dman.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad