Proposal: Cody Franson

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I bet there'd be some frustration. The Flames would be the clear winners of that trade.

I don't see it that way myself, so I guess I would have a hard time imagining them seeing it that way.

That trade would automatically put Franson in there lineup, in addition to ridding themselves of that hideous contract of liles for the next three years.. all at the cost of losing Joe Colborne, who at this point has proven nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd much rather do something like this than give up what will essentially be a late first plus other stuff for Franson.
No to either.

No to Liles in general unless the Leafs are willing to part ways with their first rounder.

Why would a rebuilding team want Liles when he will just take ice-time from their younger players? Not only that but pay him $11.25 million over the next 3 years to do it.

To put it bluntly..... **** that noise!

It's not like Liles is the leadership type. It's not like Liles is a top 4 shutdown defenseman.

What good does acquiring him do for the Flames?

That proposed deal is a swap of similar prospects and trading a cheap 1 year contract for a 3 year abortion of a contract.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@ HLM, personally I view Liles as an upgrade over Bulter and I think his game would translate well under Hartley's system. I think JML has a bigger and more popular hate on these boards than even our whipping boy Butler. Liles played very well for the Leafs in the playoffs last year and he would get the minutes here to turn his game around. I don't think Liles is bad at all from watching him play so many games on the Avs. I think he would be a very nice addition to our blueline and I don't view him as just a dump.

Colborne can also play wing or center. He's a big, young body that's skates extremely well. He's further along in his game than some of our other options. I'd play him in our lineup now and make the appropriate moves at the deadline to move to free up other spots. Having an abundance of good young players is never a bad thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@ HLM, personally I view Liles as an upgrade over Bulter and I think his game would translate well under Hartley's system. I think JML has a bigger and more popular hate on these boards than even our whipping boy Butler. Liles played very well for the Leafs in the playoffs last year and he would get the minutes here to turn his game around. I don't think Liles is bad at all from watching him play so many games on the Avs. I think he would be a very nice addition to our blueline and I don't view him as just a dump.

Colborne can also play wing or center. He's a big, young body that's skates extremely well. He's further along in his game than some of our other options. I'd play him in our lineup now and make the appropriate moves at the deadline to move to free up other spots. Having an abundance of good young players is never a bad thing.
Liles is an upgrade offensively on Butler. but defensively I think he is actually a step down. Butler makes his share of bad plays, but quite frankly Liles will make even more bad plays defensively and will give the puck away even more.

Liles might be useful to the Flames if we did not have Wideman, but with Wideman, Giordano and Brodie in the top 4, adding another puck moving defenseman is not a smart idea. Especially when that addition will see the kids play even less.

The Leafs will have to have to pay a kings ransom to get someone to take on that contract this season as so many teams are tight to the cap.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Liles is an upgrade offensively on Butler. but defensively I think he is actually a step down. Butler makes his share of bad plays, but quite frankly Liles will make even more bad plays defensively and will give the puck away even more.

Liles might be useful to the Flames if we did not have Wideman, but with Wideman, Giordano and Brodie in the top 4, adding another puck moving defenseman is not a smart idea. Especially when that addition will see the kids play even less.

The Leafs will have to have to pay a kings ransom to get someone to take on that contract this season as so many teams are tight to the cap.

Agreed. In addition to that we have Kris Russell who at this point brings exactly what Liles does, except is on a significantly better deal, and is much younger.

I don't think he is an awful player by any means but he would be a completely redundant and unneeded addition to our blueline. That's not even factoring his contract.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Liles is your typical PMD, and he had a bad regular season last year. But on the Avs, I always thought he was fairly solid in his own end, not great but held his own.

I do agree though we don't really need Liles. He is quite similar to Wideman but Denis is better. If we didn't have Russell I'd be all over this deal. If one of the kids don't earn a spot out of camp, I still think this is a move we should look at.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Liles has too long of a contract. If it was a 1 year, I'd be all for it.

If the Flames were to eat some salary and get something in return, it should be for someone with a 1 year. This would also help the Flames stay above the floor come deadline. I wonder what the Flames can pry out of Philly for taking on Meszaros?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Liles has too long of a contract. If it was a 1 year, I'd be all for it.

If the Flames were to eat some salary and get something in return, it should be for someone with a 1 year. This would also help the Flames stay above the floor come deadline. I wonder what the Flames can pry out of Philly for taking on Meszaros?

Depending on the cost for Mez I'd do it pretty easy.

That being said, after what I saw at the Dome on Tuesday night, I'm a lot more excited for Kris Russell than I've ever been. He's going to get burned a lot, but he's going to make some moves that you'll love in the offensive zone. He's a rover for sure.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Offer 3.3 and they would be forced to move someone no? Id rather gamble on an offer sheet where we just give up a 2nd, than a 2nd + Culkin.

That 2nd in all likelihood is a 30-35 overall pick.

It's not going to happen. There are many different ways to make it work.

Going with 21 players until they can make a move or hope someone goes down on LTIR long enough to make up space. Not ideal but it could work.

Replacing guys like McClaren or Orr with cheaper, younger players. Again not ideal for Carlyle but he'd live.

Trading Liles and keeping half his salary plus adding a mid round pick makes him much more attractive and I'd bet a team or two would bite.

Or just not signing Raymond and having a cheaper worse option replace him.

Nonis isn't going to accept a 2nd rounder for Franson. It just isn't going to happen.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's not going to happen. There are many different ways to make it work.

Going with 21 players until they can make a move or hope someone goes down on LTIR long enough to make up space. Not ideal but it could work.

Thats a terrible idea.

Replacing guys like McClaren or Orr with cheaper, younger players. Again not ideal for Carlyle but he'd live.

So like I said they would be forced to move someone.

Trading Liles and keeping half his salary plus adding a mid round pick makes him much more attractive and I'd bet a team or two would bite.

So like I said they would be forced to move someone. Also no one will take that abortion of a contract for a mid-round pick.

Or just not signing Raymond and having a cheaper worse option replace him.

Lol the Leafs wont sign Raymond for anything over 1M anyway, so a "cheaper option" will only save a couple hundred thousand, so no not a solution.

Nonis isn't going to accept a 2nd rounder for Franson. It just isn't going to happen.

The Leafs should get him locked up then, because if he can't he will likely be offersheeted.

Its like you didn't bother to read my post before replying.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Its like you didn't bother to read my post before replying.

How many offer sheets have you seen in the past 5 years?

It's not going to happen. Certainly not from a team with Brian Burke at the helm, and to a team with his good buddy Nonis at that helm.

And even if it does (which is a very small possibility), I guarantee that Nonis would use one of the above options to make Franson fit.

I read your post, you just choose to be obstinate and ignore the possibility that teams can actually do things that might not fit into your box of thinking.

BTW, Liles at 1.9 million is nothing...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
How many offer sheets have you seen in the past 5 years?

It's not going to happen. Certainly not from a team with Brian Burke at the helm, and to a team with his good buddy Nonis at that helm.

And even if it does (which is a very small possibility), I guarantee that Nonis would use one of the above options to make Franson fit.

I read your post, you just choose to be obstinate and ignore the possibility that teams can actually do things that might not fit into your box of thinking.

BTW, Liles at 1.9 million is nothing...

Your suggestions fit within my post, or were terrible.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Adding Liles would have given the team some more leeway in trading Giordano in the upcoming season. That's obviously not happening now, what with Giordano being named captain. With him, Wideman and Brodie looking like fixtures on the defense for the next few years, and a number of decent quality prospects on the verge of making the team relatively soon (Sieloff, Ramage, Wotherspoon, Breen), the Flames don't really need Liles or Franson anymore.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Adding Liles would have given the team some more leeway in trading Giordano in the upcoming season. That's obviously not happening now, what with Giordano being named captain. With him, Wideman and Brodie looking like fixtures on the defense for the next few years, and a number of decent quality prospects on the verge of making the team relatively soon (Sieloff, Ramage, Wotherspoon, Breen), the Flames don't really need Liles or Franson anymore.

In a defensive corps, it's not possible to have too much of a good thing.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
things will get interesting once the season starts and the cap allowance overage is no longer an option. This is when I could see a team (not necessarily us) offer sheeting Franson.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
things will get interesting once the season starts and the cap allowance overage is no longer an option. This is when I could see a team (not necessarily us) offer sheeting Franson.

They have a little over a week. The GMs will either trade 'em or give into the demands. Obviously the Rangers will cave, but Toronto has Raymond in the mix too and are less pressured to give into Franson's demands. I think they'll trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad