News Article: Cody Franson Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Morgan Reilly should be suing Franson for the lack of veteran support that he was supposed to provide as his partner last season. Which hindered his development and will hence cost him money.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
There sure is a lot of legal expertise in this thread.

I'm not going to bother to dig up all of the details of this case (it doesn't look like the document linked on the last page specifies what actually happened in the accident). It will be up to the courts to decide if it has merit or not. But if my career were adversely affected by an accident that the other driver was at fault for, you can bet that I would consider legal action even if I didn't need the award to get by.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
There's no guarantee he would have made Nashville. At that age, I'd say $62,000 (I think that is around what it said he made) is exceptionally good lol, especially when that's the least amount of money he's made to date. When the worst financial year you've had being out in the workplace is the average salary for good job, that people usually have to pay to go to school in order to be qualified for said job; you're coming out ahead in life.

EDIT: Thought it was about a newly filed lawsuit. If he filed it at the time of the accident, then eh, nothing really to complain about here.
That sounds like loser talk IMO. Cody Franson earns more than the average, because his economic contribution is greater. Hockey players offer entertainment that most cannot and therefore higher pay ought to be expected.

Whine about overpaid bureaucrats or even bloated government departments instead. Then again, I don't think this forum is appropriate for this kind of talk.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
there sure is a lot of legal expertise in this thread.

I'm not going to bother to dig up all of the details of this case (it doesn't look like the document linked on the last page specifies what actually happened in the accident). It will be up to the courts to decide if it has merit or not. But if my career were adversely affected by an accident that the other driver was at fault for, you can bet that i would consider legal action even if i didn't need the award to get by.

100%

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I understand lawsuits take time to actually get to court but the article was posted in May of 2014 and doesn't give us a day that the lawsuit was filed so based on that I am going to assume that he did so fairly recently.

Around May he would have been negotiating his contract, and if you want to disregard this one we can go back to every contract he has negotiated because with him it has been rinse and repeat.

Nothing towards the OP, but I don't understand why this is just posted now as new news if the actual article is a couple months old. Would be nice if it was included in the OP that the article is from a couple months back.

** Also no I didn't read the article as it was pretty clear what Franson intentions were just from the OP. My opinion doesn't change after reading it either.

That's a very dumb assumption. Civil cases like this can take years to get to court. Its very easily inferred from the article that this is an old case thats finally getring its day in court. Franson could have filed this in 2008.

If you don't think that changes anything, you're not very bright.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
Generally it's insurance vs insurance. Unless this other person was driving without insurance. So yeah, no, not basically assuring that this person will have money problems for the rest of his/her life.....

No but his premiums will likely go up

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Morgan Reilly should be suing Franson for the lack of veteran support that he was supposed to provide as his partner last season. Which hindered his development and will hence cost him money.

Lol, this x100.

But really, this has nothing to do with the Leafs or anyone else and nobody here should be passing any judgment.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
These guys get taxed 50 percent in taxes, pay huge percentages to their agents, pay huge property taxes, Usually support a lot of people, are pretty much expected to donate to charity etc, plus most have little to no financial intelligence. suddenly 3.5 mill really isn't that much... Considering he's a bottom pair d-man you never no when you can be out of work.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
These guys get taxed 50 percent in taxes, pay huge percentages to their agents, pay huge property taxes, Usually support a lot of people, are pretty much expected to donate to charity etc, plus most have little to no financial intelligence. suddenly 3.5 mill really isn't that much... Considering he's a bottom pair d-man you never no when you can be out of work.

yeah I mean its not like 10% of 3.5mil is only 350k... So little, Can't afford that new ferrari I wanted!!!:rant:

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo

Damn! Guess it is time to up minimum wage again!

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Maybe someone could tell me at what income level one losses the right to petition a court. Here I thought we were all equal in our right to seek redress through the courts. I see now that someone that makes a high income from playing hockey, cannot sue someone for negligence if they are injured in a car accident. The funny thing is that some of these idiots who would deny Franson due process of the law would be the very first to sue if they were ever in an accident.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
As much as I think Franson is a complete ******-bag, and that a BS lawsuit against some average joe is completely within his capability, the responses in this thread are a joke.

This lawsuit was filed at a time Franson was not a regular in the NHL and still looking to crack a team lineup. If Franson was actually the victim of a reckless driver that potentially could have harmed his career, then his current earnings are completely irrelevant. Don't try and pretend like any of you would do any different if some idiot put your physical being at risk.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Maybe someone could tell me at what income level one losses the right to petition a court. Here I thought we were all equal in our right to seek redress through the courts. I see now that someone that makes a high income from playing hockey, cannot sue someone for negligence if they are injured in a car accident. The funny thing is that some of these idiots who would deny Franson due process of the law would be the very first to sue if they were ever in an accident.

To be fair, the OP made it sound like he was blaming the accident for his inability to negotiate a better RFA deal and it seemed current.

Also, I do find it amusing when people call other people idiots and then misuse terms like "Due process of law" when trying to sound high and mighty.:laugh:

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
To be fair, the OP made it sound like he was blaming the accident for his inability to negotiate a better RFA deal and it seemed current.

Also, I do find it amusing when people call other people idiots and then misuse terms like "Due process of law" when trying to sound high and mighty.:laugh:

Well,since due process of law refers to fair treatment under the normal justice system, I fail to see how I used the term incorrectly. Perhaps you could give us the correct definition.No? You claim I am trying to "sound high and mighty" but you wouldn't know that unless you knew what I was thinking. So what am I thinking now?

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I think i would look to Gerry Johansson, Cody's agent (carey price and lucic's too, no slouch), I bet he has more to do with this than Cody.

same for his signing

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.

I just reread my post and I see now that I inexplicably added, in my haste to post, an unwanted "the" to process of law. You were right...I am an idiot and deserve to be called out for my sloppiness.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
We don't know the circumstances surrounding this, but yeah... on first glance, it really doesn't shine well on Cody.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
I just reread my post and I see now that I inexplicably added, in my haste to post, an unwanted "the" to process of law. You were right...I am an idiot and deserve to be called out for my sloppiness.

Actually, Due process, is a specific term that only applies to the government's action against private citizens or corporations. Honestly I wouldn't have disagreed with anything you said in principle, but when you start of calling people who disagree with your position idiots, and then misuse terminology to support your position it makes me :laugh:

:)

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
It's somewhat understandable. We don't know if the crash has had any long-term damage to Franson's ability to play hockey nor do we know if there's any sort of psychological damage done to him from the crash. How many years is Franson going to be in the league? What will he be able to do when he's in his older years?

Some athletes have genuine financial difficulties after they retire because they can't sustain the lifestyle they had when they were playing. After taxes, agent costs, Franson has to determine how the money he's earned will sustain him for the rest of his life.

What I don't get is, how much does he expect to win from the case.

first, i guess if he is suing and was a victim for an accident, it was his right. however, it's a big stretch saying that a millionare with access to better healthcare than 99.9999 percent of the population sustained injuries affecting his career. especially if he was playing months later in the most elite league in the world and earned a multi million contract.

i think most people are taking issue with the fact that he's willing to get the extra cash which is for peanuts. it seems really cheap.

also, your line of reasoning is flawed, i think most people could figure out how to live the rest of their lives if they get 10 million dollars within several years. no one is going to cry a river if he can't afford a dion bentley kind of lifestyle.

many pro athletes are broke after because: too many baby mamas, too much drugs, too much gambling, too many bad investments and bad accountants. all of which have nothing to do with accidents.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I don't think it really matters one way or another. I really don't see him finishing the year in Toronto unless they are willing to sign a reasonable long term contract. When Gardiner signed long term this summer it was the writing on the wall from the franchise at where they value him going forward. It will be another franchises issue.

It's too bad. I liked the player and thinks he has a lot of upside.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Actually, Due process, is a specific term that only applies to the government's action against private citizens or corporations. Honestly I wouldn't have disagreed with anything you said in principle, but when you start of calling people who disagree with your position idiots, and then misuse terminology to support your position it makes me :laugh:

:)

I yield to your superior grasp of matters legal and ask a serious question. What is the time limits for a person to sue after an incident. I was told that it is one year, but that may be wrong. Knowing the correct interval would help determine when Franson's legal team initiated the suit.
Also, I was calling people idiots for reacting to a news article without actually reading the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad