Cody Ceci

May 27, 2012
Earth
I also love in Ontario and watch a lot of Sens games. Ceci is two way but without a doubt more offensive. He looks like Wotherspoon more. Not like Sieloff. Not really like Brodie. Brodie is always in the rush. Ceci doesn't join it too often. Ceci will be a 3/4 guy.

I don't see how these two statements work together.

Ceci is safer because he doesn't have the foot speed that Brodie does. It also has to do with the coaching style. With Hartley, we play an offensive game. Ceci will jump up in the rush if he the right opportunity arises like the heritage classic game.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Honestly seven in thirty-one isn't bad for the type of player he is. He looks like a #6 defenseman offensively but that's about where I'd expect him to be as a rookie considering his ceiling.

However, the point still stands that we have plenty of players that do what he does, and I never said he had no offensive skill, in fact I admitted in my first post that he has at least some offensive instincts. Right now, though, I think he's slightly more defensive than offensive, and although he will probably pan out into a two-way guy, he is never going to have the offense to anchor a power play or play in a top pairing. Ceci is another Brodie, or Wotherspoon, or Sieloff, and we don't need another.

Brodie is probably one of the top 20 defenders, under 25, in the league. Witherspoon and Seiloff aren't on the same level as him. I'd kill for a right handed Brodie on the team. Ceci is going to be a very good, young defender but it doesn't matter because the Sens know what they have and won't give him up.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Ceci is safer because he doesn't have the foot speed that Brodie does. It also has to do with the coaching style. With Hartley, we play an offensive game. Ceci will jump up in the rush if he the right opportunity arises like the heritage classic game.

That was a great goal, but it doesn't necessarily sum up his playing style, and really I think the adage about Hartley playing exclusively offensive hockey isn't necessarily true anymore because of the direction the Flames are moving overall. If Ceci was a Flame, I'd personally think he'd spend more time working defensively and controlling the neutral zone because that's what would be asked in him on a team that values personal responsibility.

Either way, I still think that you'd agree with me in saying that he doesn't have much of a top-pairing ceiling, and I personally think that's what we need right now, as do a lot of other posters on this board.

May 27, 2012
Earth
That was a great goal, but it doesn't necessarily sum up his playing style, and really I think the adage about Hartley playing exclusively offensive hockey isn't necessarily true anymore because of the direction the Flames are moving overall. If Ceci was a Flame, I'd personally think he'd spend more time working defensively and controlling the neutral zone because that's what would be asked in him on a team that values personal responsibility.

Either way, I still think that you'd agree with me in saying that he doesn't have much of a top-pairing ceiling, and I personally think that's what we need right now, as do a lot of other posters on this board.

It is better to attempt to draft a future Top pairing dman than trade for a future one. No point in giving up assets. We are in a rebuild so no point to make a trade. Right now we do have a top pairing dman. Not urgent enough to dish out assets.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
It is better to attempt to draft a future Top pairing dman than trade for a future one. No point in giving up assets. We are in a rebuild so no point to make a trade. Right now we do have a top pairing dman. Not urgent enough to dish out assets.

I agree with you entirely here, especially considering (like you noted earlier) what Ottawa's asking price would be.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Ceci is not very strong. He gets pushed around a lot. He does however adapt by playing position andusing angles to remove/ separate the puck. He has proved himself well but to call him a defensive player would be a stretch. I would class him as an average 2 way player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad