Prospect Info: Cody Ceci doing well in the playoffs

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
10th in scoring for defencemen:

Cody Ceci Owen Sound Attack 5 0 4 4 0

4 assists in 5 games.
Talking to a local here in Owen Sound he has been an impact player since coming to Owen Sound.

Second in the league during the regular season~!

Cody Ceci Owen Sound Attack (total) click to view the entire list for Cody Ceci 69 19 45 64 12

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Just being realistic as a guy who's seen a **** ton of him lol.

I still have tons of faith in him though as a prospect. This season just hasn't been what I hoped for.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks for spoiling the party Gargamel

He does bring up something important

We all know how good he is offensively, what the Murrays are likely from him is an improvement on the defensive side of things

Still though, it's nice to see that getting out of Ottawa seems to have helped

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Look, he is fine to express his opinion,
I'm just tired of the negativity that comes out every now and then here.
Dam it, why cannot we support our team and prospects instead of dumping on them every chance we have?
BE POSITIVE KIDS

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Dam it, why cannot we support our team and prospects instead of dumping on them every chance we have?
BE POSITIVE KIDS

He's gonna be a heck of an NHL defenceman. I love the kid. Not trying to be negative, just trying to tamper expectations too. It's good to know what to expect for people who don't see him often.

Not everything is sunshine lollipops and gumdrops and it doesn't have to be. You can call a spade a spade.

backdoorpass

He has all the tool and when he gets to our organization he will get a lot better. Learning the d side of the game from Luke in bingo will help a ton. He has all the tools now just needs the proper coaching and practicing to take it to the next level. I personally think hes going to be an outstanding d man and from watching him i think he might be top 2 d in the draft. People might laugh now but time will tell

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Very happy he can go pro next season, another year in the O will do nothing for the side of his game he needs improvement in. Hopefully next year he is able to emerge as the two-way defenseman he was billed as at the draft, as this year he has not been very steady in his own end. Has all the tools you want in a player.

I wish we had taken other players at 15, but I trust the Murray's and Dorian much more than myself when it comes to these matters, otherwise we would have Cuma instead of Karlsson.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
BE POSITIVE KIDS

I wouldn't take it to heart, after 3 months ago and people's thoughts on Zibanejad it just really shows you people here are more what are you doing for me today.

Ceci may have to work on some things but Murray already said he thinks he's a few years away from the NHL. He has a good skill set and good work ethic. With our teams great development I'm sure he'll turn into a good nhler.

But still we don't only have to say good things either.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I wouldn't take it to heart, after 3 months ago and people's thoughts on Zibanejad it just really shows you people here are more what are you doing for me today.

Ceci may have to work on some things but Murray already said he thinks he's a few years away from the NHL. He has a good skill set and good work ethic. With our teams great development I'm sure he'll turn into a good nhler.

But still we don't only have to say good things either.

All I said was I hope he's playing better then he did in the regular season lol. I'm not even close to writing him off lol. I was the biggest advocate to draft him last season. I think he'll be a great NHLer. Was just disappointed this season. Was expecting more defensively but thats also in part to playing on a ****tastic team most of the season.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
All I said was I hope he's playing better then he did in the regular season lol. I'm not even close to writing him off lol. I was the biggest advocate to draft him last season. I think he'll be a great NHLer. Was just disappointed this season. Was expecting more defensively but thats also in part to playing on a ****tastic team most of the season.

That's fine I'm just telling the guy not to get too upset. It's not really directed at you it's just In general.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ceci is going to be a stud. Didn't Kilrea or someone compare him to Doughty? I think Ceci could develop into a #1 on a lot of teams in the league...not Ottawa though. Such a great D corps...Cowen, Karlsson and Ceci will make us a powerhouse for the next decade on the blueline.

Still love this quote...

"I told a couple of people before the draft, if you like Drew Doughty, you're gonna love Cody Ceci," said Kilrea.

"He'll be one of the top defencemen in the NHL, he's just that good. He's big, strong, he's a great skater with a tremendous shot, passes the puck well, and yeah, he's not a physical player, but he always manages to take his man out and get between his man and the puck. Eventually he'll add that (physical) dimension to his game.

"But what he's got, some players will never get."

I can't wait.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Offensive flair is a natural talent to a large extent. Decent defense can be taught, and a year or two under Richardson will give Ceci the tools. I don't mind this with a prospect.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Offensive flair is a natural talent to a large extent. Decent defense can be taught, and a year or two under Richardson will give Ceci the tools. I don't mind this with a prospect.

Great post. I agree 100%.

It wasn't too long ago we had an offensive wizard who was a defensive liability on our d. He ended up figuring it out. Now he is a Norris Trophy winner. Defense can be taught, offensive creativity cannot.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
I hope he's been better in the playoffs then he was is the majority of the regular season. Offence has never been a question.

Here we go again lol

Im thinking you just hate this kid but whatever he played on a bad team in Ottawa get over it already ..Almost PPG player (R) shoot ..Exactly what the big club needs

Hope Ceci gets a call up after his playoffs to hang out with the big club during the playoffs or get a run with Bingo

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Guys, we all have opinions. No need to be upset at someone who's a little skeptical. I honestly have not seen much of Ceci, but I'm glad that his play is improving.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ceci has been fine defensively...his "struggles" this season have been largely overblown.

Also the defence vs. offence thing makes a lot of sense from a logical point of view. Being great offensively requires creativity while being great defensively is based on structure, reaction and prediction. Most people have a hard time being creative, while most people have no problem learning to fit within structure and being reactive (prediction is a bit more difficult which is what sets the elite defenders apart).

Ceci has the ability to be an elite defender, and has the creativity and intelligence to also contribute offensively.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The reality is, though, that Ceci is going to have a tough adjustment next season. First off, the kid probably won't think that he belongs in the AHL. After that, he is going to have to adjust to the pro game, and the truth is that he doesn't exactly have a lot of sandpaper to his game. Eventually, he will be fine, as he is a blue chip prospect in terms of skill level. To get a guy with his skills at #15 was pretty sweet. I just expect that his first season in Bingo might be a tough one, just like Patrick Wiercoch's first year was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad