Movies: Coco

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I have a 4 year old who I want to take to this movie, but my wife fears it may be too scary, given the "death" theme. Any thoughts on appropriateness?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I have a 4 year old who I want to take to this movie, but my wife fears it may be too scary, given the "death" theme. Any thoughts on appropriateness?

Everything I've read it on says it is very family-friendly even in its approach to issues like death. Should be fine, I'd guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Everything I've read it on says it is very family-friendly even in its approach to issues like death. Should be fine, I'd guess.

There's really been very little in the way of high quality animated movies this year. I'm sure some people will, but if they do, it's their loss.

I'm just happy that Pixar has a seemingly high quality original movie again, especially something that doesn't seem like a subject for a kids movie. That's when they've always been at their best.

It seems to be at a decent start at the box office. There's actually more competition out there than they anticipated due to Wonder, but, if the reviews and word of mouth are strong, it should hopefully propel it past $200M.

Last edited by a moderator:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I saw it yesterday. It was actually very good. It is a little sad or melancholy but not scary. Definitely some crying in the theater. The animation was really impressive too. In the guitar playing scenes the characters were even playing the right notes and chords along with the soundtrack.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

If my daughter was 4 (she's 7) I'd have no problem taking her to see this movie knowing what I know. It's not scary at all and they handle the concept of death in a very kid-friendly way.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Definitely a kid friendly movie. Simple, sentimental story with some spectacular visuals.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is it true that the frozen short before Coco is a half hour long?
I think it is 21 minutes but it feels like a half hour. It's purpose seems to provide a cultural balance point with the Mexican-friendly Coco. I can't imagine what else it is doing there, and it is awful.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I think it is 21 minutes but it feels like a half hour. It's purpose seems to provide a cultural balance point with the Mexican-friendly Coco. I can't imagine what else it is doing there, and it is awful.

I agree it wasn't so good, but I assume it was there just to keep the Frozen franchise from going completely dormant before they can release a sequel.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I agree it wasn't so good, but I assume it was there just to keep the Frozen franchise from going completely dormant before they can release a sequel.
Very likely true, but nothing says you can't kill two birds with one stone.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Very likely true, but nothing says you can't kill two birds with one stone.

True. I also imagine they're also using it as an Olaf-oriented focus group for the sequel. Given the disastrous response to this short I bet there will be less Josh Gad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Went and saw this tonight. It's absolutely deserving of the fantastic reviews it has received so far.

This might have been my favorite movie of the year. Great story and some truly wonderful visuals.

10/10 work from Pixar with the animation.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
this movie brought the feels, and then some. Instant classic. Also what's with the hate on the Frozen short? I thought it was great, albeit sappy

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Saw it today, I think this is one you want to see in theatre, unless you have a ridiculous home setup. The background animation of the City of the Dead is spectacular. I liked it quite a lot, my wife had her usual tears that she has in a Disney movie. My daughter liked Moana more, but I think thats more to do with the female lead as opposed to the male lead. We didnt get the Frozen short though, which she was looking foward too, as Frozen is her favourite Disney movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad