Confirmed with Link: Coburn Traded to Tampa Bay for Radko Gudas & 2 Picks (1st & 3rd)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Schenn was used strictly as a third pairing dman in his last three seasons in Philly. Everyone on this forum knows that and it's why he was traded, so it's comical to see him used as a comparison for Gudas who is getting 20 minutes a night against top competition.

It's the combination of ice time, QoC, stellar possession numbers and solid scoring numbers without any PP time that prove Gudas is a top 4 dman this year. The only reason you can't admit that is because you made a bunch of shamefully ignorant posts about him last summer that you're still desperately trying to justify.

Jesus Christ Schenn was just pointing out that Gudas's offensive numbers are not top-four numbers. I could have used anyone, but I know how people feel about Schenn here and thought that would be a better illustration because of how bad people said Schenn was while he was here. And I have admitted I was wrong. Multiple times in this very thread since earlier this morning. Gudas is not a dime-a-dozen player. I was wrong. If you want you can add me on Facebook and I'll post it on your wall so you can show all your friends I was wrong too.

EDIT: Switch Schenn for Roman Polak. He has more points than Gudas and everyone seems to hate him too!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gudas has definitely played as a top 4 dmen this year. Hell, he played most of the year with MDZ on the top pairing. And next year, will certainly be part of our top 4.

If Schenn had become what Gudas is, he likely would have been re-signed.

I did not expect him to do this well based on what Tampa fans were saying. Pleasant surprise.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Gudas has definitely played as a top 4 dmen this year. Hell, he played most of the year with MDZ on the top pairing. And next year, will certainly be part of our top 4.

If Schenn had become what Gudas is, he likely would have been re-signed.

I did not expect him to do this well based on what Tampa fans were saying. Pleasant surprise.

Remember, Gudas had a bad knee injury when we traded for him and it wasn't known if he'd ever be able to skate decently again

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's hard to put up points in this league when you don't sniff the powerplay. Drew Doughty has 15 points 5v5.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
It's easy to forget how inexperienced Gudas is, the last few weeks is probably the first time he's felt confident enough to step up and play a larger role offensively. He shouldn't be a huge scorer because you'd want to pair him with an offensive defenseman, I think had MDZ stayed healthy they'd be our top pair right now. In that case, he'd pinch at the point and fire on net, but won't be getting the "cheap" points from rushing the net.

Gudas has a very good shot from the point, you don't want him skating up and playing too aggressively because he's an average skater (not L Schenn/Grossman slow, but lacks the second gear) and will struggle to recover, but he's very good at getting a hard shot on net, which is a tangible skill.

its so important to remember how young and inexperienced he is and not judge him as if his game has plateaued. for example, he had a really bad patch of play coupled with some over the edge physical hits for a few games, but just like that, he seems to have straightened that out. hes been solid defensively and playing under control as far as the borderline hits go since.

so his game is evolving and improving right in front of our eyes. you can see his confidence growing game to game. like stated above, hes just finding his game offensively as well...which is great. hes becoming more dangerous from the point with that heavy shot by the game. the clutch goal he scored in colorado last game with less than six minutes was huge for us...hopefully we are watching a player with a great future for us just getting started.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Most top pairs combine an offensive player with a more defensive defenseman, because you don't want both your defensemen consistently attacking the O-zone for obvious reasons.

Gudas is 115th in scoring among D-men with 14 points.
However, he has 11 of those points in his last 16 games!
While I don't think he's a 55 point guy, he's probably not a 14 point guy either in this new role, so let's say he's a 30 point guy.
That would put him in the top 40. But note that most of the top 40 play on the PP, inflating their scoring stats.

20 points in 5x5 play would put him in the top 20 among D-men.
Gudas has 12 points, mostly in the last 16 games. That puts him at 81st.
If his recent scoring is closer to his norm, he could move way up.

[Ghost is 22nd in scoring, 7th in ppg among D-men, but only 38th in 5x5 scoring]

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gudas has played like a top 4 defensemen most of this season and is a #4 defensemen on just about any team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They are the perfect age to shelter our kids coming, then drop down as other start outplaying them.

Hope to see the pair reunited next season so we can roll with..

Del Zotto-Gudas
MacDonald/Schultz-Gostisbehere
Provorov-Streit

Then hopefully we can trade Streit and/or Schultz at the deadline if it looks as though Morin is ready to move up.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Gudas is a better skater and puckhandler than he gets credit for. I love his spins to escape the forecheck and make the good breakout pass. I hope Hexy resigns him to a atleast a 3 year deal. Having him and Morin on the same team is going to make this defense nasty to go along with the skill. Also Provorov will deck you in open ice as well. I look forward to this defense in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad