Coach's Choice

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Neither goalie established himself as the "obvious starter." I think Antti looked like the starter in '15, but January into February, he, and the defense, struggled, but so did Kari. The Stars started looking like the Stars again after Kris Russell became a Star, and his shot blocking became part of the entire team. There was an article in the Dallas Morning News about this very thing, and once the entire team chipped in, the Stars looked like the old Stars again. Both goalies looked good, but neither was a standout over the other, and both were pulled from games at times. No team wins every game...so...

I think Coach Ruff will still do what got him there, and that's rotate the goalies when needed. The "need" will probably come if/when the starter begins to struggle.

As to my original question, I just have a gut feeling that the starter will be Kari, but who knows?

I also said if I was Coach Ruff, I'd go with Antti simply because he's won a Cup, and Kari struggled too much for me over the last two years. He's looked average.

Go Stars...I'll be a huge fan of whichever goalie gets in net.

Addendum: Antti's poor puck-handling skills? Isn't that something that a goalie coach should work on? Is the something that can't be learned? I guess not, because if he's still a poor puck-handler this many years into his career, I guess he'll never learn.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's a comfort thing too. Kari wants to play the puck while Niemi only does so when he absolutely has to . He sometimes actively avoids it as well.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I really, really want Lehtonen to start, succeed, and get wins. It would be a great story. I've been thinking/hoping his lack of success has been just not having a good team in front of him.

Though it's good to know that if he does start and it doesn't seem to be working there is a decent switch option on the bench in Niemi.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I really, really want Lehtonen to start, succeed, and get wins. It would be a great story. I've been thinking/hoping his lack of success has been just not having a good team in front of him.

Though it's good to know that if he does start and it doesn't seem to be working there is a decent switch option on the bench in Niemi.

His failure started in the playoffs when he basically lost the series for us with those two quick goals. Let the Ducks tie it, and then gave them the game. I think that really ****ed with him mentally and he hasn't completely recovered since.

I agree that this could definitely be huge for him, if he can take a start or two and run with it.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's also a factor with which goalie is the defense more comfortable ?
Both have different strengths and weaknesses and require attention to different things to cover their weaknesses.
With Kari you need to prevent point shots with Niemi you needs to be more ready to play the puck close to the net for example.

I think this is the real clue, because the team has dedicated itself to challenging these shots and blocking them since the TDL.

His failure started in the playoffs when he basically lost the series for us with those two quick goals. Let the Ducks tie it, and then gave them the game. I think that really ****ed with him mentally and he hasn't completely recovered since.

I agree that this could definitely be huge for him, if he can take a start or two and run with it.

I don't think he was right to come back after Haula smashed his head into the crossbar, he rushed back but wasn't himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad