Coach's Choice

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
The bullets:
1. The Stars kick tail in 2015
2. Late January and into February of 2016, they sort of become a .500 team, and settle down to leading the west by 1-3 points instead of 10-14.
3. Both goalies and defense look average
4. (In my opinion) Kris Russell joins the Stars, and after settling in with his skills, the other players take a bite of his apple and learn to block more shots like he does...
5. Kari gets the majority of the starts around this same time, and he looks like he's playing better than Antii.
6. Russell is out for a while, but overall, the defense has gotten better and "both" goalies are playing well! Great! Dallas is kicking tail again and look like contenders.

Now then, you are now in Coach Ruff's shoes. Yes, there are still a few games left, and with luck the team will keep rolling and win.
Regarding the playoffs, which goalie would "You" start?

I want to see Antii get the majority of the remaining games, and if he's still playing well, I'd go with him. I have no real reason other than he's a Cup winner, and that deep experience, and taste of winning it all, resonates. I lost faith in Kari last year, and I'm glad to see him play better now, but I still have reservations.

I know, deep down, stopping pucks is a team "D" effort, but between the two, I'd opt for Antii. What about you?

Addendum: Whichever goalie Coach Ruff picks for the playoffs, I'll be that goalie's biggest fan. Go Stars!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If the playoffs started, tomorrow... Kari on a short leash.

That opinion could change completely depending on the next four games, though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'd probably go with Kari at the moment. Right now both are playing well and Kari is a better overall player when they do.

Even at his best i'm allways extremely uneasy when Niemi has to play the puck. He doesn't look comfortable doing it and on quite a few occasions Niemi let pucks go he really should have played. The near shortie from yesterday for example. Kari is much better in that regard.

It's still up for grabs with 4 games left and you can certainly make an argument for both though.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
What I have noticed about Kari lately, including seeing him at the arena, is that on some saves when he has to drop to his stomach to make a save, he "stays on his stomach or leans up on his hands/knees" and watches the play continue around him/behind him.

For some reason, he won't stand back up and square up or cover the net. Yet, despite that, the D has picked up and both goalies are doing well. It's the right time!

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
Based on recent play....Kari. I've always believed that Kari has the potential to backstop a cup winning team but his mental fragility has always gotten in the way. He just doesn't have a ton of playoff experience. Niemi on the other hand has his name on the cup as a starter, granted with a stacked Chicago team. If this playoff run goes deep, I hope we can avoid goalie drama and just ride whoever is hot to the promise land.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Gotta go with Kari, they changed the style of defending to block point shots that he can't handle and we are rolling because of it.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Earlier in the year I would have said niemi. Kari seems to have found his game and niemi still looks lost at times.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
I missed the 1st period of the Nashville game, so I do not know if the 2 goals were Antii's fault, or the D as a whole. However, the post game talk was raving about Antii's play and he got the 2nd star of the game...so...

Again, if you were Coach Ruff, who would you start?

C. Ludwig was talking about this after the Colorado game, and he pointed out Kari has won 1 of 8 playoff games, and Antii has won a Cup...

My guess is that Coach will start Kari. I don't why I think it, but I believe it. My guess is because Kari has been given the start more of the last 10 games, and therefore has more wins, so, he starts.

What would you do?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
The first goal was the stars failure to get the puck out of zone. It was a big shot by Ellis. Don't really fault niemi. The second one was a shot that deflected hit the ref and demers could not handle the rebound. Guy lifted it in close. Tough play for niemi. Niemi made some really good shots. He also failed to play the puck behind the net because he just can't.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It comes down to how much value the coaching staff sees in the playoff experience advantage Niemi has over Kari. When you look purely at ability its Kari no contest . Most noticeable playing the puck. Kari is one of the best goalies in the league playing the puck while Niemi is pretty poor in that regard.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Actually, Kari is 2-6.

Razor says Niemi FWIW. I tend to favor Kari.....on a short leash, which sounds terrible, so maybe we say, "with no qualms about changing when the situation dictates.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Actually, Kari is 2-6.

Razor says Niemi FWIW. I tend to favor Kari.....on a short leash, which sounds terrible, so maybe we say, "with no qualms about changing when the situation dictates.

This depends on how you view Niemi starting the last game. Razor seemed to think the Stars wanted to win badly, and they started Niemi because they thought he'd give them the best chance.

It seems to me like they've put their faith in Kari for the past few weeks, to the point they changed the coverage to always charge down point shots like maniacs. If they want Kari to start game one, then Niemi starts game 82 so he can rest, and while Antti is good enough to win, playoff seeding is secondary to getting a win in game 1.

The facts can support either situation, we can only wait until it is announced.

BiggestE22

Jul 6, 2014
Dallas Texas
Niemi has been better than Kari over the last month when considering his .940 save percentage over his last 5 starts. Also he would not feel the pressure that Lehtonen feels since he has shown that he can be the guy on s Cup winning team. I don't really think it is a huge difference bug I think Ruff prefers Niemi

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
This depends on how you view Niemi starting the last game. Razor seemed to think the Stars wanted to win badly, and they started Niemi because they thought he'd give them the best chance.

It seems to me like they've put their faith in Kari for the past few weeks, to the point they changed the coverage to always charge down point shots like maniacs. If they want Kari to start game one, then Niemi starts game 82 so he can rest, and while Antti is good enough to win, playoff seeding is secondary to getting a win in game 1.

The facts can support either situation, we can only wait until it is announced.

I don't buy the giving Kari rest so started Niemi. He would have had 5 days to rest. I think this is more of a case of giving Niemi a tune up before playoffs.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I think we are over analyzing. After 82 games neither established themselves as the top guy. Whoever starts game one will probably be on the same short leash as the regular season. Nothing changes.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't buy the giving Kari rest so started Niemi. He would have had 5 days to rest. I think this is more of a case of giving Niemi a tune up before playoffs.

They traded starts for the last 2 weeks, and Niemi needs a tune up? How many teams in the playoffs started their #1 in game 82?

On the 15th, Niemi took the loss against LA, leading to 4 straight starts by Kari. Wins vs NYI, TB, CHI, then a loss at Arizona. Right in the middle of the biggest stretch of the season he got 4 starts while the Stars battled for home ice.

If you think it is Niemi, fine, but there's plenty of evidence on both sides.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Before the Sharks game Niemi was awful for quite a big stretch. Just a reminder here how bad he was :

Yes he found his game since then but Kari played well too. I do not think you give Niemi the start because he played well rotating with another guy playing well for the last 8 games of the year . Kari carried the torch while Niemi was struggling mightily and that wasn't all that long ago.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
For each of their last ten games...

Goaltender | Wins | Losses | OT/SOLs | SO | GAA | SV%
Kari Lehtonen | 7 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 2.57 | .902
Antti Niemi | 4 | 2 | 2 | 0 | 3.29 | .889

Note - Lehtonen was pulled once, Niemi twice in each of their last ten games.

With that... Lehtonen is a pretty clear choice for me.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's also a factor with which goalie is the defense more comfortable ?
Both have different strengths and weaknesses and require attention to different things to cover their weaknesses.
With Kari you need to prevent point shots with Niemi you needs to be more ready to play the puck close to the net for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad