Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Cooper has done a great job these playoffs but would rather someone more emotional for next round so can we fire him tomorrow?

Reactions: Hoek

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
I would say NOW is the official crunch time for Cooper and his coaching tenure... we have been here before, its this point he seems to stumble on.. think the regular season -- snooze mode until play offs -- well this is Coopers play off time now imo.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I would say NOW is the official crunch time for Cooper and his coaching tenure... we have been here before, its this point he seems to stumble on.. think the regular season -- snooze mode until play offs -- well this is Coopers play off time now imo.

That's BS, his crunch time started when we drew Columbus. That's now last years sweep, a division rival/presidents trophy winner off the list.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
That's BS, his crunch time started when we drew Columbus. That's now last years sweep, a division rival/presidents trophy winner off the list.

Nah CBJ was the teams demons. Cooper coaching had nothing to do with the 5 OT game...that as all heart. We have moved on from that to the next challenge.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, we got through CBJ, and we knocked off the President's Trophy winner. Unless we get swept and look absolutely terrible, I think Cooper has earned enough. The team isn't losing by being out-coached. At least not this year.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Yeah, we got through CBJ, and we knocked off the President's Trophy winner. Unless we get swept and look absolutely terrible, I think Cooper has earned enough. The team isn't losing by being out-coached. At least not this year.
I don't get the Cooper hate. He's had one bad post-season (last year). Compare that to Trotz, who is practically revered in here, who's had one GOOD post-season.

(Also noticed PJ817 hasn't posted in this thread since the Bolts dispatched the Bruins. She's a large portion of the "Cooper hate".)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't get the Cooper hate. He's had one bad post-season (last year). Compare that to Trotz, who is practically revered in here, who's had one GOOD post-season.

(Also noticed PJ817 hasn't posted in this thread since the Bolts dispatched the Bruins. She's a large portion of the "Cooper hate".)
I think a lot of Cooper hate is warranted. It's just not ALWAYS warranted. And I think anybody hating on him right now, after he's pretty much made the changes his critics were asking for, is a little absurd, and probably just trying to prove they weren't wrong for previously hating on him.

Cooper's playoff record is checkered. He deserves a lot of blame for some of our more terrible efforts. "We had no answer" isn't an acceptable response when you're clearly being beaten by a strategy, rather than a roster.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Cooper will pass the test when he's not being outcoached by a coach with a defensive style, that's his kryptonite. CBJ was a bigger issue to solve than Boston despite being a lesser team. The Islanders could be that test, then I'm sold.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's not a single coach in the entire universe that would make this CBJ team a legit threat this year. They were not a test at all.

So taking out a top-3 offensive team in the league means they don't have good defense? :laugh:

So what about Boston? Last year's cup runner up and best team in the RS, not a worthy of praise though right, I mean any team can beat Boston minus every other team except 1 last year.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Bruins fans won't like Jon Cooper's message to Lightning during Game 3 rout

Here's what a mic'd up Cooper told the Lightning in the dressing room after the first period, as captured on the ESPN+ docuseries "Quest for the Stanley Cup" that aired Wednesday, via Boston.com's Chad Finn:
"You’ve put them in an uncomfortable spot, right? They don’t want to be here, they don’t know how to handle it, because you’re harder. And the reason you’re doing it is because you keep getting pucks behind them.
"You keep [expletive] pounding them, and they don’t like it. You can send a message now that we’re here."

The thought of Coop talking with a raised voice and cursing makes my giggle like a child.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
So taking out a top-3 offensive team in the league means they don't have good defense? :laugh:

So what about Boston? Last year's cup runner up and best team in the RS, not a worthy of praise though right, I mean any team can beat Boston minus every other team except 1 last year.

Look that's not difficult to understand, we like to play against Boston, open ice type of teams, and have bigger issues against defensive ones. The isles are CBJ but twice better. Match ups matter. Very simple.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Look that's not difficult to understand, we like to play against Boston, open ice type of teams, and have bigger issues against defensive ones. The isles are CBJ but twice better. Match ups matter. Very simple.

I don't buy that the Isles are THAT much better than CBJ. Better? Sure. But I don't see them as twice the team as CBJ.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Yea but we still have a superior roster to the islanders. Cooper should still be able to coach his way to a win against theislanders or the flyers. Otherwise something is wrong that he isn't adjusting to. We are definitely playing different than we were last year in that first round. If we played the Columbus series the same way as we did last year we would have lost in the opening round this year as well. Also our roster is just better than last year.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't buy that the Isles are THAT much better than CBJ. Better? Sure. But I don't see them as twice the team as CBJ.
Agreed. I also think that since they have some scoring talent, they are more willing to take some chances which could lead to more odd man rushes. We'll see though. Could be Philly.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I like how Trotz is the coach to beat after we took him to 7 games but Torts who swept us means nothing :laugh:

Reactions: Hoek and Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. I also think that since they have some scoring talent, they are more willing to take some chances which could lead to more odd man rushes. We'll see though. Could be Philly.

I don't see a Seth Jones or Zach Werenski to spring them up ice though.

The Isles have a solid forward group, which is better than CBJ's, but in terms of actual talent, they're pretty much middle of the pack. Their strengths are depth and coaching. But this isn't the 2018 Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad