Coaching Change making an impact?

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I think so.

When the change happened, I told my friend that the key to knowing if the change was having an impact on the team was shots on goal.

The last 4 games: 21 - Buff, 27-Det, 23- Was, 29 - Mon

If Anderson and Lehner can put up a .915+ save% I think the team can make the playoffs.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
IMO it did, especially, especially in terms of ice time and line ups.

Cameron's using Phillips properly, giving him rest, rotating him in from time to time and giving him sheltered minutes. Pretty evident last night, and resulted in Phillips having a decent game.

He is maintaining their motto of best players play too. Zibby didn't have a great game last night while Pageau did, so he bumped Pageau up and it worked out pretty well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Too many factors right now to judge.

MacLean had to deal with several guys on the roster who weren't fit coming into the season (Zibby, Ryan, etc), and had to ease several rookies into the lineup and get them accustomed to NHL play (Hoffman, Lazar, Stone).

Cameron has the benefit of getting the team as many guys are rounding into seasonal form.

Only way we'll really know for sure is to see how the team competes for the rest of the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lots of variables that are hard to account for.

Neil and Smith being injured may be helping out (smith was struggling this year, and Neil is getting long in the tooth).

That said, both those guys had among the lowest shots against per 60 on the team, so who knows.

I think scaling back both Phillips and Karlsson's ice time has helped.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's changed big time just because of one thing:

Cameron has showed more balls than MacLean ever has. Sitting Phillips shows he cares about icing the best product. MacLean just talked the talk.

I agree that Smith and Neil coming back are gonna be key but hopefully they don't "come back" in a while. Smith traded or Legwand traded. Can't have both those guys in bottom 6. Nope.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Overall yes but still can't hold the lead. Seems like when they score first tying goal is inevitable.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
Really good signs

We are better defensively. We apply good pressure offensively by an aggressive forecheck and we force turnovers.
I see more North-South play, more crashing to the net.I like where we are headed and a solid top pairing D would make this team pretty dangerous.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Players are playing like they actually give a crap, so in that sense yes, there has been an improvement.

As far as systems go, it's far, far, far too early to tell anything. I'm not massively impressed with Cameron's system at all yet, though, but in fairness to him, it's still far too early to judge the team and results in the framework of how effective a system is. Cameron may just be keeping it simple for the time being, and holding off on getting too creative until the players adjust. We have no idea.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So far so good. What's was the point of having a team full of young inexperienced players not play in critical situations where they could gain valuable experience. It's not like the vets were getting it done anyway.

- his lines have been mostly consistent so far. No more juggling lines every other period.
- ice time seems to be more thought out and I think he's looking to put players into situations where they can succeed. (No way Karlsson would refuse additional ice time and no way could he ask to get his ice time reduced. The coaches have to manage that more effectivelyand they seem to be doing that)
- speaking of Karlsson, He's definitely in a scoring slump (for him) this season. His overall play has been pretty "meh". He seems to be playing better the last couple of games. It looks like he's being more responsible and sticking with the system.

Overall, it's a small sample size but the team has been playing a lot better even though they haven't always gotten the W. Even if the team doesn't do that great in the standings this year, at least the young players are gaining experience.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
There's almost always a surge after a coaching change.

Clean slake for players to make an impression on the 'new guy'.

Giving it 20 games to make an assessment seems fair to me.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
We have five legitimate top six NHL forwards and a top D in the league, and two top 3 D's. Top goalies.

We should have done better all this time. We should be in the playoffs

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
We have five legitimate top six NHL forwards and a top D in the league, and two top 3 D's. Top goalies.

We should have done better all this time. We should be in the playoffs

Only problem is they are all 4/5/6 guys (except Ryan when he is hot). We don't have any 1/2/3 guys.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's the only thing I have an issue with. Except for that, I think Cameron has done a good job so far.

Legwand had 51 points last year in this league and he is good on faceoffs. He doesn't have as much speed as he used to, but he is still pretty effective on the PP.

IMO this team should be better and the constant line juggling was an issue. I think what we really need is to get Methot back and healthy, assess the team on games 40 - 60, and decide we either are going to make a run or that we aren't and then deal with the Methot situation based on that. I do think that with Methot back and better slotting on D that this team will put together a second half run.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Too early to tell IMO. However they do look slightly better defensively. Benching Phillips won some points with me. You have to do whats best for the team, not the old guys.

Sens basically have to play .700 throughout the remainder of the season. Not going to happen, see you next year and try again. Not a chance this team sees post season play.

As far as Legwand I find he plays the half boards ok on the PP.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
If Maclean had lost the locker room as some have supposed than a coaching change would have needed to happen. Question should be if Cameron was the right man for the job I kinda feel like he was the cheapest available for it.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Historically coaching changes have a short term improvement and after a 20 game period things tend to go back to normal. If the Sens keep improving after 20 games under Cameron, he's doing a good job and actually improving the team. Players tend to step up there game regardless after a coaching change, but fall back into old habits if the coach the right fit.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Historically coaching changes have a short term improvement and after a 20 game period things tend to go back to normal. If the Sens keep improving after 20 games under Cameron, he's doing a good job and actually improving the team. Players tend to step up there game regardless after a coaching change, but fall back into old habits if the coach the right fit.

Right. We will have to wait and see if this is a dead cat bounce or an actual change. Personally, I think there is a change, just seems like everyone is giving just a little more, not the 110% BS, but just , like 5%, more. And as I tell my players on my hockey team, it is that 5% that will separate you, break away, get that shot off. Get to the puck and clear it. Etc...

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Too many factors right now to judge.

MacLean had to deal with several guys on the roster who weren't fit coming into the season (Zibby, Ryan, etc), and had to ease several rookies into the lineup and get them accustomed to NHL play (Hoffman, Lazar, Stone).

Cameron has the benefit of getting the team as many guys are rounding into seasonal form.

Only way we'll really know for sure is to see how the team competes for the rest of the season.

All true. Maclean did the ground work for some of the lines that are paying off now such as the Zibby /Ryan/Hoffman line to a chorus of boos for not leaving Ryan with Turris.
Smith and Neil injuries were also a stroke of luck for the new coach.

Players are going to play harder because they want to impress the new coach and they dont want to be called coach killers-and they know that once the coach is gone, roster moves are next.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
As everyone else is saying, it is far too early to tell.

A coaching change can fix some locker room issues if they are around, and have a short term impact as guys try to impress the new coach. Players who were on the outs, like Greening, can find new life.

On the downside, I think there has been a huge drop off in Karlsson's offensive game since the change. I realize that the coach is trying to limit the amount of turnovers, etc, but I am a bit worried that he may be stifled a bit in the new system.

Shots against are down, which is good. We are outshooting opponents once in a while, which is good. However, these changes have not really led to a significant improvement in the record. Hopefully improvement in the process end will eventually lead to picking up points more consistently. In the end, it is all about points in the standings.

And, of course, the talent level is what it is. A coaching change does not fix that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad