Coaching - At what point?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Watching the Oilers with essentially the same lineup go on a tear under new coaching leadership, at what point does Management do the same with the kings

Not to mention that young players seem to stagnate under TM
It should have already happened. But since we won last night , the koala will get at least another week

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Watching the Oilers with essentially the same lineup go on a tear under new coaching leadership, at what point does Management do the same with the kings

Not to mention that young players seem to stagnate under TM.
They do not stagnate, they are used utterly wrong.
Player are drafted because of a certain skill set but here in L.A.then moved into a position that demands a totally different one.

Example Kaliev, he shoots with power and accuracy, a skill set that requires a playmaking center
and top 6 minutes to be effective.
Kaliev is played in a grinder role and then criticized for not being great in keeping opposition in check and his scoring dries up.

Same with Byfield, he is a playmaking center with incredible size and speed.
His natural playstyle is setting other people up by pulling opponents out of position.
This screams top line center but he is paired with a defensive center, being a winger.
Then he is being criticized for not scoring goals

This was the same under Murray, Sutter and TMac and at some point it's clear that this is tollerated by the management and ownership.

Even if people's wet dream comes true and TMac is canned, he will be replaced with another Murray-Sutter-TMac clone

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Unfortunately that win last night paired by at least one win over SJ or Buffalo saves his life

best case scenario was losing ot the rangers and then SJ Buf, I odn't think even TM could have survived taht

but no, we are stuck now, get ready for a 5 game first round exit and losing clarke, fagemo, turcotte, Kaliyev, and the next two first round picks for the privilege.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
one of the hallmarks of a martinet coach/manager is a total unwillingness to change -even given poor results. ive never met him but personal arrogance would probably there as well.

Reactions: mysterman2

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
but no, we are stuck now, get ready for a 5 game first round exit and losing clarke, fagemo, turcotte, Kaliyev, and the next two first round picks for the privilege.
Its such a shame also as the young guys would have been at the age for breaking out this year. JAD while not a top player has been looking better each game since Dallas. They just need some minutes and confidence. Had him, Turcotte, Fagemo, Kaliyev, Thomas, Clarke, Spence, Bjornfot been playing minutes in the NHL all along with Byfield and Laf they would have a solid set of players there. Along with Faber Vilardi Kupari and the first rounders they traded.
It would have been the last season for evaluating what they actually have in these guys and then this offseason trading some and spending to fill in the holes around the newly formed core.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think he’s demonstrating why he’s a baller ass assistant coach—systems, supposedly player relationships, off ice stuff, great human being—and a shit head coach—no pulse/feel on the game, terrible in game or in series adjustments, and the absolute worst bench/personnel management I’ve ever seen to say nothing of time outs and OTs/SOs

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There’s nothing left for us to say. He’s cooked… surely?

RJ sums up the guys qualities and faults nicely. Close the thread and let him go.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
He said it in the post game. He's run out of pokes and prods to get the team to perform. The question it begs is "is it the coach or is it the players" -- well I know who has never won anything in this league while consistently shepherding underachievers and chokers

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The coaching change will happen at the same time the management change happens.

How many a GM’s have gotten fourth coaching hire when the previous three were failures?

Reactions: Telos

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Not to mention that young players seem to stagnate under TM.
Having Connor McDavid would help a lot I think.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
He said it in the post game. He's run out of pokes and prods to get the team to perform. The question it begs is "is it the coach or is it the players" -- well I know who has never won anything in this league while consistently shepherding underachievers and chokers
There's 3 guys on the kings who have won and one is barely an NHL player anymore.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
The coaching change will happen at the same time the management change happens.

How many a GM’s have gotten fourth coaching hire when the previous three were failures?
Luc will spin it and say well Stevens doesn’t realllly count because we needed to keep some continuity from the old boss and Desjardins doesn’t realllllly count because he was just there to get the vets through a tough year.

I think Blake will simply install Sturm and call it a day. Then when that makes no material difference in the team’s play we MIGHT see ownership look at making a change in the front office.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not even Desjardins could be blamed for this level of braindead hockey.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Calling it now, if Blake gasses Todd here soon, he’ll be the one going behind the bench. I can see him pulling a Bob Murray and saying he needs to get more involved on a daily basis in order to diagnose the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Calling it now, if Blake gasses Todd here soon, he’ll be the one going behind the bench. I can see him pulling a Bob Murray and saying he needs to get more involved on a daily basis in order to diagnose the problem.
I think what will happen is Hiller will get interim. They dont want to disrupt the Reign and they prob realize the odds of turning things around are slim.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think what will happen is Hiller will get interim. They dont want to disrupt the Reign and they prob realize the odds of turning things around are slim.
My true belief is that as long as the Kings are in a playoff position or within striking distance, zero changes will be made.

I can’t see anything happening sooner than the trade deadline, and they’d have to be down around 11th / 12th in the conference for it to occur then.

As poorly constructed as this team is, you have to expect some kind of streak where they capture some wins over a two week period. Could be this next road-trip at which point everything is once again copacetic down in El Segundo.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This all started December 4th.
I felt the initial game that was alarming was the first 4-0 win over Montreal. That was sloppy as hell and won primarily due to individual moments over a poor opponent. Bit that's usually just the end of a win streak and not a sign of a full collapse.

Why 12/4?

Reactions: Schrute farms

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I felt the initial game that was alarming was the first 4-0 win over Montreal. That was sloppy as hell and won primarily due to individual moments over a poor opponent. Bit that's usually just the end of a win streak and not a sign of a full collapse.

Why 12/4?
I should have said 12/5

It was the game against Columbus. They got down in the first two periods and were fortunate enough to mount a comeback and win in OT and then beat Montreal in the game you're describing.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u15.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad