Coaches on the Hotseat - NFL & NCAA - Sonny Dykes fired

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
So what if its only week one of the college season. Let's kick this baby off by putting Les "Lulz" Miles right back on the hotseat. Maybe LSU should have followed its 1st instinct last year & canned him. I doubt he survives after this season after what I saw from them today.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You gotta think that at Purdue, Hazell, is getting to the point where they need to look significantly better this year for Hazell to stick around. It's that Year 4 and it's not like year 1 to 3 have given any indication that he's the right guy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Holgorsen and James Franklin should be on the hot seat. Maybe Malzahn and Strong too.

100% this.

Swinging and missing on every single in state kid in WVU this year does not help him. The first time in ages the state produces legit D1 talent and you can't really bring in any of them? Oof.

Sep 19, 2008
Holgorson started off well but when he moved to the Big 12 he struggled to adapt and was constantly beat by the blue bloods in the conference.

The guy at Pitt I think is in the crosshairs too.

What. Narduzzi is doing a good job. Maybe you're thinking of someone else

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It certainly would help if WVU didn't have to go so far for all their road games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
100% this.

Swinging and missing on every single in state kid in WVU this year does not help him. The first time in ages the state produces legit D1 talent and you can't really bring in any of them? Oof.

Funny thing is the last time I can even remember a decent prospect from WV picking them is Josh Jenkins. There weren't even many that picked WVU going back to my time, most of them went out of state to somewhere like Notre Dame if they had the talent.

Ryan Switzer prettymuch didn't even give WVU the time of day. He was 100% Ped State until the Sandusky **** came to a head, then he was all-in on UNC. :shakehead

Prettymuch anyone else that picked them already had serious ties to the program (Wolfley, Tonkery), it's usually the unheralded guys from in-state that pan out well for the team anyhow (Wellman).

Holgy's probably going to need at least an 8-9 win season this year though.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The interesting point about Miles is he has a rather large uyout clause, which the state of Louisiana school cant afford. So either their donors buy him out, some other team does (unlikely), or he just leaves that money on the table and goes somewhere else (unlikely). They could be stuck with him for a while. LSU is becoming much like UT under Mack Brown.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
NFL wise:

Really hot

Gus Bradley - Doesn't have much excuses to not at least be competitive

Jim Caldwell - Given how many games the Lions blew last year, i can't see Caldwell surviving if they have a similar season (spoilers: they will)

Mike McCoy: How the **** did he even survive last season?

Should be hot, but will likely be saved by other things: (Unlikely to get fired, but still slight possibility)

Jeff Fisher: He has pictures or dirt on somebody. Rams can and likely will stumble through another 6 or 7 win season with little improvement and he'll be fine.

Rex Ryan: Lost a good chunk of his defense to injury/legal troubles. Not really his fault

Marvin Lewis: Bungles gonna bungle

Bill O'Brien: Made the playoffs last season (albeit thanks to a craptastic division) and if they have a setback, that likely keeps him employed despite the improvements

Jason Garrett: I mean, you can't really blame him for Tony Romo having bones made of paper mache being held together with school glue, can you?

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The interesting point about Miles is he has a rather large uyout clause, which the state of Louisiana school cant afford. So either their donors buy him out, some other team does (unlikely), or he just leaves that money on the table and goes somewhere else (unlikely). They could be stuck with him for a while. LSU is becoming much like UT under Mack Brown.

There were talks earlier this year that the boosters would pool their money to buy him out and try to pry Jimbo away.

NFL wise:

Mike McCoy: How the **** did he even survive last season?

Should be hot, but will likely be saved by other things: (Unlikely to get fired, but still slight possibility)

Bill O'Brien: Made the playoffs last season (albeit thanks to a craptastic division) and if they have a setback, that likely keeps him employed despite the improvements

McCoy survived because the Chargers are A0 Cheap and didn't want to pay him to sit at home and B) Were more focused on moving to LA. Any other team and I bet my paycheque he would have been fired after going 4-12 with no injuries to a major player.

O'Brien I think should get slack given he had a revolving door of QBs last season, which isn't his fault.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Funny thing is the last time I can even remember a decent prospect from WV picking them is Josh Jenkins. There weren't even many that picked WVU going back to my time, most of them went out of state to somewhere like Notre Dame if they had the talent.

Ryan Switzer prettymuch didn't even give WVU the time of day. He was 100% Ped State until the Sandusky **** came to a head, then he was all-in on UNC. :shakehead

Prettymuch anyone else that picked them already had serious ties to the program (Wolfley, Tonkery), it's usually the unheralded guys from in-state that pan out well for the team anyhow (Wellman).

Holgy's probably going to need at least an 8-9 win season this year though.
Makes sense, you're asking a kid to turn down a free ticket out of West Virginia.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McCoy and Bradley's seats are likely very warm heading into the season.

Pagano got that extension but he might not be safe either if the Colts struggle early on. He was very close to being out after last season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pagano definitely isn't safe, Colts likely need to win multiple playoff games. There were murmurs all year last year that things weren't rosy between he an Irsay, and it's not like Pagano did a terrible job, they went 8-8 and Luck only won 2 games.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

He's another guy who got a rep as a QB guru after inheriting Tom Brady and Belichick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't see any chance that O"Brien goes unless Texans fall to 2-14 and locker room falls apart

Back to back 9-7 seasons and a playoff appearance has probably bought him at least thru 2017 job security

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
There were talks earlier this year that the boosters would pool their money to buy him out and try to pry Jimbo away.

Jimbo isnt leaving FSU though. He already gets more talent there than at LSU and he has a much easier conference. Basically all Jimbo has to do right now is beat Clemson and he is in the Conference title game. FSU is an automatic 10 win team every year, Lousiville is good but other than them and Clemson the rest of the teams are wins. Unless they are going to buyout him out for Tom Herman, I not sure what other high profiled coach they would want.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Why would Jimbo leave arguably the second best team in CFB? He runs the state of Florida currently.

Also Jason Garrett is the most untouchable coach behind Carroll and Bill. I'm being serious. Would take a 1 or 2 win season for him to be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad