Coaches/GMs Playing Both Roles Have We Seen It Come Nearly to The End in the OHL and is It beneficial for teams to Have a person with dual roles?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
In a recent discussion with another person who has followed the league just as long as I have we came across an interesting discussion about how many teams still have their GMs having dual roles in the league.

And of course in my searching very few still do, this came to a surprise to me because of the length of time I've followed the league and seen many different aspects of the league change over the years. One of them being the way teams look at filling key roles in their staff.

This lead to my conclusion that teams have changed their ways of thinking on these very key areas and led me to start this thread up for fans to discuss what their thoughts are on this subject.

Have you had a team that does still have a staff member with dual roles and what is your thoughts about it? Do you have a team that doesn't have a dual roles in your team?

What's your thoughts on this topic? Let's hear what you think about it?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
In a recent discussion with another person who has followed the league just as long as I have we came across an interesting discussion about how many teams still have their GMs having dual roles in the league.

And of course in my searching very few still do, this came to a surprise to me because of the length of time I've followed the league and seen many different aspects of the league change over the years. One of them being the way teams look at filling key roles in their staff.

This lead to my conclusion that teams have changed their ways of thinking on these very key areas and led me to start this thread up for fans to discuss what their thoughts are on this subject.

Have you had a team that does still have a staff member with dual roles and what is your thoughts about it? Do you have a team that doesn't have a dual roles in your team?

Dent does both in Flint

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Guelph would be better with Burnett back behind the bench imo.
It can work if the person is a workaholic (Williamson), though a business person would help a lot on the management side. Dent might strictly be responsible for player personnel.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
For me, this league is primarily a development league, not just for players but for coaches and managers too. How many dual roles do we see in the professional ranks? The OHL should follow suit. Learning how to delegate and trusting your team is crucial to success at the higher levels. Professional teams don't want to see a jack of all trades running everything because it shows someone who doesn't know how to delegate, doesn't know how to hire good people, and doesn't know how to develop the staff they already have.

Just my 2 cents.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph would be better with Burnett back behind the bench imo.
It can work if the person is a workaholic (Williamson), though a business person would help a lot on the management side. Dent might strictly be responsible for player personnel.
I think Guelph would've been just fine with the Burnett/Walker combo of GM/coach, it has worked in the past. I think you hit the nail on the head with the workaholic piece though. To do both jobs well you are spreading yourself pretty thin.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Niagara situation right now is a disaster the owner should not be GM being taking advantage of.
I think I said it in the Spitfires thread - I‘m so happy the Spits were one of the teams to trade with Niagara - we did it 3 times too.

Two were absolute fleece jobs and the other hurt but for the price that was paid - I’d do it every time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad