Proposal: Coach’s Challenge

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
After last night’s game, I feel more strongly than ever that the current system of coach’s challenges is broken and needs fixing.

I’d eliminate the challenge aspect completely and simply have all scoring plays reviewed by Toronto. If it’s a no brainer goal, you don’t stop the game. If it’s at all questionable in terms of offsides, goalie interference, high stick, foot in the crease, you stop the game and get it right.

We’re already stuck dealing with the delays in pace at this point. You might as well just get it right and not have the fear of a delay of game penalty for a missed off sides challenge prevent them from getting it right.

To be clear, this isn’t sour grapes about last nights game. It’s about fixing what I feel needs fixing across the league.

Reactions: bbfan419

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think the coaches challenge is entirely tedious and silly. But what does getting it right mean? A skate a fraction of an inch off the ice on zone entry that has nothing to do with a scoring play? This is the skate in the crease all over again. Taking away good goals on a technicality that has no bearing on the scoring play. If they keep it at all, has to be within a few seconds of zone entry. Otherwise, it's just a bummer that the call was missed. It's not like they can overturn an incorrectly blown whistle for an onside play like Marchand the other night. It makes no sense

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah, even if it would've helped us a lot last night, I hate the offside challenge.

That playoff game last year against Ottawa (I forget if it was game 3 or 4) where I believe Stafford scored but they challenged and overturned it because the initial zone entry was an inch or two offside a good 20 seconds before the actual scoring play absolutely infuriated me. That's totally against the spirit of the rule. It cost us that game and by extension probably the series.

Same reason I hate baseball replay, which has devolved into microanalysis of a runner maybe popping off a bag with a tag still on. That's just garbage.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Getting it right is that if the play should have been whistled dead and an offsides, goalie interference or high stick assessed, then the goal should he called back.

Black and white. Just like the puck over the glass call.

You can't leave it up for interpretation.
So on every scoring play, I believe there should be a quick initial look and then if it warrants further review, you stop the game and figure it out.

No more gimmicks.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Get rid of the offside challenge completely. This is literally a game of inches, and a guy who is a quarter inch offside is not the difference between a goal or not.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I would love to get rid of the offsides challenge. Goalie interference I can live with.
I'm in agreement here.

At least the goalie interference has the argument that it directly affected the goal.

Missed off sides? That's what linesmen are paid for. They screw it up, it's on them, not at the expense of the game. There should be some sort of time limit. If the team doesn't think it's offsides within x amount of time, they lose their chance of a coaches challenge.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Get rid of the offside challenge completely. This is literally a game of inches, and a guy who is a quarter inch offside is not the difference between a goal or not.

That's right- if a player if offside enough to affect a scoring chance, no NHL linesman is missing it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There was a playoff game against Montreal in 2008 where Kessel was way offsides and it should have been no goal.

That shouldn’t happen in the playoffs.

I agree if it is egregious it should be called, and I suppose a challenge for the playoffs would be a way to go, but on almost all coach's challenges I've seen we're talking about 2 inches or less- no need for it in the regular season

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
That's right- if a player if offside enough to affect a scoring chance, no NHL linesman is missing it.
You would think so, but...
ducheneoffside.jpg

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You would think so, but...
ducheneoffside.jpg

o_O

Okay fine- keep the challenge :laugh: I just hate all the delays and 99% of the time they are quibbling over an inch or so. This is the NHL, after all, why go to all these pains to get an offside right only to allow your refs discretion not to call blatant penalties if they don't feel like it.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Why have the challenge aspect, though? Is there any benefit to having the coaches have to be the ones to issue the challenge? It’s shouldn’t be a question of strategy or something that coaches should need be concerned about. They should focus on coaching the hockey team and the league and it’s on and off ice officials should ensure the appropriate enforcement of the rules.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i hate the whole rule.
maybe if its an offside on the rush and a goal is scored off that rush, it should be called back.
but last nite the caps were in the zone a bit. i think those should stand regardless

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There should be a strict limit to it, like the zone entry must be within like 7 seconds of the goal being scored.

If Pastrnak was an inch offside, then the top line cycled in the offensive zone for a good 30 seconds before Marchand eventually scores, it would be ticky-tack and legalist to overturn it.

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why have the challenge aspect, though? Is there any benefit to having the coaches have to be the ones to issue the challenge? It’s shouldn’t be a question of strategy or something that coaches should need be concerned about. They should focus on coaching the hockey team and the league and it’s on and off ice officials should ensure the appropriate enforcement of the rules.

It may come as a surprise but before the challenge and even after, every single goal in the NHL was always reviewed by Toronto. That's why you would get Toronto calling on occasion and saying "hold on, this needs a further look."

The problem was that they never reviewed for offside or goaltender interference (the fact is they didn't even have the proper equipment for the "right" offside review until this season) so they brought in the challenge.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
There should be a strict limit to it, like the zone entry must be within like 7 seconds of the goal being scored.

If Pastrnak was an inch offside, then the top line cycled in the offensive zone for a good 30 seconds before Marchand eventually scores, it would be ticky-tack and legalist to overturn it.

And then you'll have video review to determine if it was within the 7 seconds of the puck entering the zone. :laugh:

I say that somewhat sarcastically, but in reality, you know that's what will happen.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
And then you'll have video review to determine if it was within the 7 seconds of the puck entering the zone. :laugh:

I say that somewhat sarcastically, but in reality, you know that's what will happen.
It absolutely will happen. Think about the debate over the Kings goal at the end of the game against the Bs. There would be times in which there would be great debate about the tenth of a second difference between when the 7th second took place in relation to the puck entering the zone. The league has to do something about this whole offside challenge garbage. The onus should be on the officials and the league to get it right, not threaten penalizing the coaches/team for messing up with a challenge. That makes no sense. If they are so caught up with offside before goals then just automatically review every zone entry before each goal like they do with normal goals and be done with it. The system as it stands is a mess.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It absolutely will happen. Think about the debate over the Kings goal at the end of the game against the Bs. There would be times in which there would be great debate about the tenth of a second difference between when the 7th second took place in relation to the puck entering the zone. The league has to do something about this whole offside challenge garbage. The onus should be on the officials and the league to get it right, not threaten penalizing the coaches/team for messing up with a challenge. That makes no sense. If they are so caught up with offside before goals then just automatically review every zone entry before each goal like they do with normal goals and be done with it. The system as it stands is a mess.

I mean, you can make a lot of arguments that make sense. Personal, I really don't care. I'm already investing 2 and a half hours into a game so what is 5 more minutes?

One that never get's mentioned (you'll need your official's cap on for this): as a linesman, on a very close play that you are not entirely sure on, how more likely are you to let it go knowing if you are wrong, it'll be caught by reply?

Similarly, in the same situation, how more likely are you going to blow the play dead because you don't want replay to show you were wrong?

Honestly, I think the Bruins video coach screwed up yesterday. Even at full speed when it was happening, I didn't think it was offside. That puck was clearly in the zone and then clearly on the line. Maybe he didn't know which zone the line belonged to? If that's the case, that's sad. But I doubt it. But they never should have challenged that play.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I mean, you can make a lot of arguments that make sense. Personal, I really don't care. I'm already investing 2 and a half hours into a game so what is 5 more minutes?

One that never get's mentioned (you'll need your official's cap on for this): as a linesman, on a very close play that you are not entirely sure on, how more likely are you to let it go knowing if you are wrong, it'll be caught by reply?

Similarly, in the same situation, how more likely are you going to blow the play dead because you don't want replay to show you were wrong?

Honestly, I think the Bruins video coach screwed up yesterday. Even at full speed when it was happening, I didn't think it was offside. That puck was clearly in the zone and then clearly on the line. Maybe he didn't know which zone the line belonged to? If that's the case, that's sad. But I doubt it. But they never should have challenged that play.

I agree. Even Jack and Brick were saying they were looking at the goalie. They should've challenged the first goal if any goals were going to be challenged.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
not challenging the first goal is embarrassing. you could tell it was offside on the live feed.
the video guy must have been on the phone or in the bathroom.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Well that was different, as you're talking about game clock and an inprecise puck drop vs elapsed time. Just find the first frames it enters the zone and crosses the goal line and subtract. But maybe in a scrum goal you wouldn't know exactly when it crossed, but anyways, we are taking the 5% of these challenges.

And we wouldn't be talking about taking good goals away with regularity.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
After last night’s game, I feel more strongly than ever that the current system of coach’s challenges is broken and needs fixing.

I’d eliminate the challenge aspect completely and simply have all scoring plays reviewed by Toronto. If it’s a no brainer goal, you don’t stop the game. If it’s at all questionable in terms of offsides, goalie interference, high stick, foot in the crease, you stop the game and get it right.

We’re already stuck dealing with the delays in pace at this point. You might as well just get it right and not have the fear of a delay of game penalty for a missed off sides challenge prevent them from getting it right.

To be clear, this isn’t sour grapes about last nights game. It’s about fixing what I feel needs fixing across the league.

for me if you cant tell that a mistake was made within 3 views of the replay... then it really didn't matter. I wouldn't even do slow motion. use replay for mistakes that MATTER... clear cut cases where a team cheated/or got an unfair advantage by breaking the rules of the game.

I think we should have challenged the first goal last night but not because it mattered. only because its a rule that has screwed us and fair is fair. but those mickey mouse entry calls are garbage. was he over? wasn't he over? it doesn't matter

whether he was a half inch offside has nothing to do with the goal being scored... so let it count. also let it count when we are a half inch over too.

I'm actually more upset getting the penalty on the second one than I was on the non challenge of the first one because again.... it doesn't matter.

guys crashing the goalie is a bit different... that's a safety factor for the goalies. we cant have guys crashing the net and if they get goals called back because they crash the net then maybe it will teach them a lesson.

but the offside issue... leave that only for cases where the guy is blatently offside and you can tell on the first replay that its conclusive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad